Replacement engine mounts

Cattleya

Featured Posts

Hi all, I have these ancient metalastik type rear engine mounts on my BMC 1.5 that have given up and need replacing. This one had broken before and was fixed as part of an engine rebuild by Calcutt Boats, it looks like they just filled the centre with a rubber washer. 

I know these are obsolete, does anyone know of a source to buy some used or a way of changing to a different mount? A search of the forums revealed I'm not the first with this issue but I couldn't see how it was previously resolved. 

IMG_20210525_181902.jpg

Drastic, but I would be investigating changing the flywheel housing and gearbox adapter plate for a more modern version that can use readily available mounts. Otherwise, chop the bed down, weld in a horizontal section and use the existing  flywheel housing with big steel washers above and below the big holes.

I would be talking to Calcutt as well because they must come across this regularly.

2 hours ago, Cattleya said:

Hi all, I have these ancient metalastik type rear engine mounts on my BMC 1.5 that have given up and need replacing. This one had broken before and was fixed as part of an engine rebuild by Calcutt Boats, it looks like they just filled the centre with a rubber washer. 

I know these are obsolete, does anyone know of a source to buy some used or a way of changing to a different mount? A search of the forums revealed I'm not the first with this issue but I couldn't see how it was previously resolved. 

IMG_20210525_181902.jpg

Easy enough to fabricate brackets to enable conventional engine mounts to solve the problem.

Is there any way a new bush can be fitted in the cup, and another bush above? Using either the steel centre tubing that comes with the bushes or your own cut down tube?

It would need an old mount being taken to a motor factors, or diligent measuring and research.

Possibly a new longer bolt would be required if the top bush isn't cut down to size.

That would provide good lateral stability as well as up/down suspension.

Just an idea.

I had a similar issue about 18 months ago when my BMC 1.8  combined flywheel / rear mountings casting fractured. I did post on the issue at the time. To recap, I had to replace the casting together with the adaptor plate, flexible mountings etc. It wasn't cheap but Calcutts had everything on the shelf. 

In your case, providing the flywheel casting is intact I would do as Tracy D'arth suggests and fabricate new rear brackets to accept conventional R & D flexible mounts. This may impact on the front mounts dependant upon setup.  

Edited by Slim