Cambridge reporter looking for interviewees for long-form feature on issues of long-term boaters and bargees

Debbie Luxon

Featured Posts

Hi! I'm the Community Reporter from Cambridge News reporting on Travelling and nomadic groups. I'm looking for interviewees that are currently around Cambridgeshire/ Peterborough/Norfolk/Suffolk for an article about long-term/ multigenerational boaters and bargees. If anyone is interested in being interviewed please drop me a message or email me at debbie.luxon@reachplc.com

57 minutes ago, Debbie Luxon said:

Hi! I'm the Community Reporter from Cambridge News reporting on Travelling and nomadic groups. I'm looking for interviewees that are currently around Cambridgeshire/ Peterborough/Norfolk/Suffolk for an article about long-term/ multigenerational boaters and bargees. If anyone is interested in being interviewed please drop me a message or email me at debbie.luxon@reachplc.com

Welcome to the forum, Debbie. We do have quite a few members here who are liveaboards (the usual term), so I hope you get some response.

Hi both, thank you for your input! I'm aiming to have the article be an in-depth feature on the lifestyle and political/ structural issues surrounding liveaboards, boaters, bargees and how people navigate these issues. It will be a sympathetic look into this walk of life and I am looking for both phone and video interviewees to contribute to the article.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Athy said:

When you say "Cambridge News", are you referring to a newspaper or to Janine Machin's evening T.V. programme?

(Or neither of those)?

Hi! I work for Cambridge News (the newspaper) and Cambridgeshire Live (the news website) - same company but different names. However I am hoping to interview people in-person if possible with a camera if they're comfortable for the online piece.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Debbie Luxon said:

Hi! What I meant by that was any issues that impact some or the majority of liveaboard people i.e. access to healthcare, education, registering to vote, rights as tenants etc.

The major problems for boaters are a little more basic than that and are the main things at the bottom of Maslows heirarchy of needs.

Where to empty the toilet, where to fill up the water tank, can I get to moor anywhere near shops for food, security** and safety.

There are articles written in the National press pretty much every month, and since C19 they seem to be even more frequent about the 'wonderful' boating life, few ever actually look at the day to day issues and needs of boaters - by doing so you could have an (almost) unique feature article.

** Boaters, even on paid for moorings, have no security of tenure and the law does not protect them at all, they can be evicted at a moments notice and no reasons needed.

Lack of places to empty your toilet is certainly one of the issues on the Great Ouse.

That and most of the moorings having 48hr limits on them, especially near the towns,

It's just as much of a pain to get an NHS dentist using family members' fixed addresses as on a boat!