Beta 60 panel fuse blowing on start up

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Spring in the panel key switch not returning it from the start to the run position reliably? Might be worth replacing the switch too. Relatively cheap compared with a starter motor.

Yes,  that's usually it. If it's been running on the starter will be ruined,  you take the back off and half the armature falls out at your feet. 

• Greenie 1

hm price from Beta about £67, kubota £50, generic on ebay £10

the latter is an amazing price difference, bearing in mind the original hasn't apparently given stella performance is there any catch in buying the ebay one

or perhaps good clean and wd40 the original?

Edited by Phoenix_V

4 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

The panel fuse being 40 amp I assume most of that goes through the keyswitch when starting maybe that is why it is so expensive? can't see any information on current capacity of any of them !!!

Most of that 40 amps plus rather more initially will be for the glow plugs. I would not hesitate to use a Durite offering.

Thanks, my thinking was that as the keyswitch energised the solenoid directly without any intervening relay the solenoid would be taking a fair current as well, but your advice obviously still holds so will look for durite

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Most of that 40 amps plus rather more initially will be for the glow plugs. I would not hesitate to use a Durite offering.

Just now, Phoenix_V said:

Thanks, my thinking was that as the keyswitch energised the solenoid directly without any intervening relay the solenoid would be taking a fair current as well, but your advice obviously still holds so will look for durite

It will be, but (without measuring the resistance) for most of the time it's energised it will only be drawing a few amps. Much more at key turn but as soon as the motor is energised the high current (pull in) coil is de-energised leaving the low current hold in coil energised. Sorry, can't remember the two coil resistances.

Typical modern glow plugs on a four-cylinder engine draw 100 amps plus upon energisation  and quickly drops to about 50 amps (assuming the wiring is large enough - which it is often not). If I wanted to use a relay it would be for the glow plugs, not the starter solenoid.

• Greenie 1

On 01/07/2021 at 10:57, Phoenix_V said:

hm price from Beta about £67, kubota £50, generic on ebay £10

the latter is an amazing price difference, bearing in mind the original hasn't apparently given stella performance is there any catch in buying the ebay one

or perhaps good clean and wd40 the original?

For £10 it's probably just had a good clean and a bit of WD-40. I wouldn't touch it.

1 hour ago, pearley said:

For £10 it's probably just had a good clean and a bit of WD-40. I wouldn't touch it.

seems to be new (Chinese?) but Tony's suggestion of Durite seems a safer bet and about £15, still don't understand why kubota are so dear!

20 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

seems to be new (Chinese?) but Tony's suggestion of Durite seems a safer bet and about £15, still don't understand why kubota are so dear!

Probably still Chinese, and you are paying for the Durite box.

6 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Chinese manufacture is fine so long as it has western quality control. 

But how do you know if it is generic. That is the £5 you are paying extra for Durite, otherwise surely this looks fine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130873109539?hash=item1e78a52c23:g:pooAAOSwTuJYtrlF