3 pin round plug/240 v cable

Featured Posts

Thanks.. my old one has a round inlet that you can plug either a 12 volt or a 240v lead in and on the 12 volt lead there doesnt seem to be any kind of inverter/converter type gubbins its just a lead with a cigarette lighter socket on it so i thought i was worth asking the question

9 minutes ago, stablemabel said:

Thanks.. my old one has a round inlet that you can plug either a 12 volt or a 240v lead in and on the 12 volt lead there doesnt seem to be any kind of inverter/converter type gubbins its just a lead with a cigarette lighter socket on it so i thought i was worth asking the question

Certainly worth asking but what you describe is rare. Did the 240V one have a plug top  or brick in the lead AC to DC converter like my TV did. If it did the input to the radio was 12V DC even though the lead that provided it at the radio end was plugged into 240V AC.

When altering these things its normally vital to observed polarity and be aware that there is always a possibility the boats "up to near 15V plus voltage surges" can upset the radio electronics.

37 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Certainly worth asking but what you describe is rare. Did the 240V one have a plug top  or brick in the lead AC to DC converter like my TV did. If it did the input to the radio was 12V DC even though the lead that provided it at the radio end was plugged into 240V AC.

When altering these things its normally vital to observed polarity and be aware that there is always a possibility the boats "up to near 15V plus voltage surges" can upset the radio electronics.

Yes it has the brick top similar to a laptop lead

Slowly we get there! If the output from the power brick is a nominal 12V, then you might get away with putting a 12V round pin plug on instead. As @Tony Brooks said, getting the polarity right is important. Get it wrong and the magic smoke escapes and your radio is scrap. Also, boat 12V can be higher than 12V, with even higher voltage spikes. Some electronics can cope with this, some can't and you won't know which unless you know it has been designed to work in things like cars, motorhomes 12V supplies.There are 12V to 12V voltage stabilisers you can buy, which would be a good approach for this application.

Given the questions you are asking, I am guessing that your level of electrical knowledge isn't high and there is a good chance you could make an expensive mistake trying any of this.

Jen

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Slowly we get there! If the output from the power brick is a nominal 12V, then you might get away with putting a 12V round pin plug on instead. As @Tony Brooks said, getting the polarity right is important. Get it wrong and the magic smoke escapes and your radio is scrap. Also, boat 12V can be higher than 12V, with even higher voltage spikes. Some electronics can cope with this, some can't and you won't know which unless you know it has been designed to work in things like cars, motorhomes 12V supplies.There are 12V to 12V voltage stabilisers you can buy, which would be a good approach for this application.

Given the questions you are asking, I am guessing that your level of electrical knowledge isn't high and there is a good chance you could make an expensive mistake trying any of this.

Jen

Sorry..the power brick is on the old radio..the new one has just a normal 240 v plug on

Wot @Alan de Enfield said. It is mains input only. Do you have mains on your boat, via an inverter at all? If not, then a very small inverter, just to power the radio may be the thing. The inverter can be plugged in to the 12V socket, then the radio plugged in to the mains output from the inverter.

22 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Wot @Alan de Enfield said. It is mains input only. Do you have mains on your boat, via an inverter at all? If not, then a very small inverter, just to power the radio may be the thing. The inverter can be plugged in to the 12V socket, then the radio plugged in to the mains output from the inverter.

I

I was hoping to avoid the inverter so i thought id ask the forum..i didnt think it would be a goer but it was worth a try

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The owners manual says 100 / 230v AC 50-60Hz only

So, No, 12v will not work.

Thanks for your help

1 minute ago, stablemabel said:

I was hoping to avoid the inverter so i thought id ask the forum..i didnt think it would be a goer but it was worth a try

You could always return it (or sell it on Gumtree, Ebay etc) and buy one that works from 12v DC.

Edited by Alan de Enfield