Emissions on 1.8 BMC engine....

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

Hi folks - is there anyway you can check the emissions on a BMC engine ? Reason I ask is that I'm sure it's a bit smellier than I remembered !! Having not used it in 2020 and only just starting again maybe I haven't got use to it.

I assume that if it's overfueling I will see black smoke ? (Which I don't). But it just smells a bit and after some time I feel a little nauseous (unless it's the sun and heat affect ?)

No noticeable difference in the rate of fuel I use.

What checks can be done please ?

Edited by NewCanalBoy

If it's a dry exhaust boat you could pay a mobile car tuning setup to stick their exhaust analyser up its chuff and give you a printout.

Further thoughts. It's you who has decided its potentially an engine exhaust emission problem, but it could be the fumes from a faulty battery during charging. Hydrogen sulphide, rotten egg smell and bight metal tends to tarnish. It will stop producing it when you stop charging. Look for hot batteries or parts of a battery, cells dryer than the rest, cells bubbling more than the badly swollen battery ends.

Edited by Tony Brooks

I would have a look at the air filter - if there is one. Also is it getting up to temperature? if its cool it might be a bit smelly, and check the fuel, if its not clear and bright but cloudy and even worse, dark or blackish then that won't help either. After that it starts getting technical.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

If it's a dry exhaust boat you could pay a mobile car tuning setup to stick their exhaust analyser up its chuff and give you a printout.

Possible but don't let them rev it to the governor limit like they have to with a road vehicle. 

Out of interest do people just have an air filter inside the engine bay or do they have pipe work with it to the outside of the boat ? 

Mine has an air filter then some pipe that goes to an airbox then another piece of pipe that goes to a grill above the decks. Seems like a lot of overkill ?!

Don"t know whether to get rid of it and just leave the air filter or leave it all in place.

I have known them with no inlet manifold at all.

Unless your engine bay is heavily silenced and thus all but airtight I can see no reason to pipe from the outside for a water cooled engine (maybe different with air cooled and leaky cooling cowling). In my view an air cleaner is not even necessary apart from to stop idiots poking bits into the air intake but on attypical marine 1.5 that would need real determination. In fact once the breather system makes the filter self oiling its probably best not to have it.

All I've got is a metal mesh filter rather like those cheap pot scourers you can buy. It seems to make no difference whether it's fitted or not. I suspect it's filtering capability is zero. It's 'worked' for 20 years + so far.

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

All I've got is a metal mesh filter rather like those cheap pot scourers you can buy. It seems to make no difference whether it's fitted or not. I suspect it's filtering capability is zero. It's 'worked' for 20 years + so far.

That may be because you are supposed to dunk the mesh  in oil and let it drain before refitting it. The oil is supposed to trap the dust particles. I also think the filtering effectiveness is zero,  especially if fitted dry.

Edited by Tony Brooks

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That may be because you are supposed to dunk the mesh  in oil and let it drain before refitting it. The oil is supposed to trap the dust particles. I also think the filtering effectiveness is zero,  especially if fitted dry.

Is was/is 'dunked 'in oil. The filtering effect remains zero.