Canal dodgems

haggis

Featured Posts

If you want to have fun playing boating dodgems, come on up the Llangollen. I have come to the conclusion that hire boats ( and I have nothing against hire boats) are a bit like sheep. If a couple moor on rings then others just moor behind/in front and knock in pins. The result is a very long continuos line of moored boats with sometimes room for one and sometimes room for two to pass along side. On one long stretch I had to pass the moored boats so close that I could read their paper or join in their conversation. The situation is not helped by a lot of overhanging trees on both sides of the canal which greatly reduces the line of sight.

However, we are enjoying the trip and it is reliving a lot of memories from the last time we were up here.

Haggis

I decided to head south when the emergency stoppage happened the other month, and so far not regretting it! Nice to see boats moving on the Shroppie, but it's not mental and so far no one has rammed me either. Still plenty of summer to go though :)

11 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Great weather on the canals wherever you are .... who needs foreign hols!!

Exactly. And all the boaters we have spoken to are enjoying their trip whether it is their first or they are old hands. A really nice atmosphere and I haven't heard anyone getting upset at the delays and overcrowding in places. 

Haggis

37 minutes ago, haggis said:

If you want to have fun playing boating dodgems, come on up the Llangollen. I have come to the conclusion that hire boats ( and I have nothing against hire boats) are a bit like sheep. If a couple moor on rings then others just moor behind/in front and knock in pins. The result is a very long continuos line of moored boats with sometimes room for one and sometimes room for two to pass along side. On one long stretch I had to pass the moored boats so close that I could read their paper or join in their conversation. The situation is not helped by a lot of overhanging trees on both sides of the canal which greatly reduces the line of sight.

However, we are enjoying the trip and it is reliving a lot of memories from the last time we were up here.

Haggis

We did the Llan last June, in the interregnum when live-aboards could move but non live-aboards couldn't stay overnight. The Llan in June with hardly any boats was bliss.

MP.

ETA. We're hiding from the crowds this June on the Chesterfield. Average number of moving boats per day, about one.

Edited by MoominPapa

I'm on the Staffs&Worcs, pottering round the ring,  really quiet here. Did Llangollen in August last year - nightmare! Usually do it early spring or late Autumn. This trip has been pretty good, not busy but everyone seems happy and friendly. No speeders apart from the odd canoe. Cyclists and fishermen all friendly too.

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Very busy on the Ashby

We're on our way to Coventry for the City of Culture floating market that's been arranged. Was hoping to re-visit the Ashby (after 18 years) afterwards so hope there are places to moor up in early July?

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, MrsM said:

We're stopping in Wigan for a day ready for the flight on Friday. I've broken a toe so need hubby to have finished work and be ready to be my lock mate. 

Have a look at the wiganflightcrew face book page to see if anyone else is heading up the flight and also to let any volunteer lock keepers know when you will be setting off up the flight.

Note that these are NOT CaRT volunteers.

52 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Have a look at the wiganflightcrew face book page to see if anyone else is heading up the flight and also to let any volunteer lock keepers know when you will be setting off up the flight.

Note that these are NOT CaRT volunteers.

I will do, thank you x

1 hour ago, wandering snail said:

We're on our way to Coventry for the City of Culture floating market that's been arranged. Was hoping to re-visit the Ashby (after 18 years) afterwards so hope there are places to moor up in early July?

Had no problem in that respect

On the subject of Dodgems.

we are planning a trip to London, Bulls Bridge, being the turning point, returning back up the GU to Crick, is there anything currently below Milton Keynes, we should be aware of?

Are we likely to find overnight mooring difficult, and is breasting up accepted?

Bod

Its my least favourite canal. Not at all special. Havnt done it for over twenty years now. Did it mainly to do the pontywhattsit and that was enough for me. Leave it to the holiday makers.

17 minutes ago, Bod said:

On the subject of Dodgems.

we are planning a trip to London, Bulls Bridge, being the turning point, returning back up the GU to Crick, is there anything currently below Milton Keynes, we should be aware of?

Are we likely to find overnight mooring difficult, and is breasting up accepted?

Bod

Nothing to be aware of/concerned about and you will not have to double moor

it’s a shame that you are turning at Bulls Bridge and not visiting the capital, the Paddington arm is a bit tedious but the section from Little Venice to Camden is a delight. The main line to Brentford is also worth doing 

We have a time limit, need to be back to Crick for 1st of August for Blacking appointment.

We do plan next year perhaps to do the trip right through to Harlow and beyond.

Bod

Sat before last, followed a hire boat south through Harecastle Tunnel (4pm passage).  Expected to catch up with him quickly as we don't hang about, but no chance.  Until he hit the protruding bits, hard.  The bang was so loud that we instinctively ducked.  Clearly he was shocked as he continued to bounce off the walls at speed for the next 5 minutes. The noise was amazing. (incredible as well but I don't believe in using that word.) I didn't see it but my son said that there was quite a lot of damage to the boat when we passed it later. (no, not in the tunnel.)

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, haggis said:

Haggis

Two years ago my experience of the Llangollen left a lot to be desired and led to this musical effort. Apologies in advance : https://www.waterwaysongs.info/Songs/L/llangollen_grand_prix.htm

Edited by Bugsworth Tippler
  • Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

Two years ago my experience of the Llangollen left a lot to be desired and led to this musical effort. Apologies in advance : https://www.waterwaysongs.info/Songs/L/llangollen_grand_prix.htm

Very good - it is certainly a canal that requires you to moor properly - if you don't, you soon learn.

@haggis Passed your boat early Wednesday evening on a mission to get a chinese (takeaway) in Chirk. It is a bit busy that end ?

Once you get below Ellesmere  it is nice and steady at the moment.Loads of room to moor without neighbours even. The locky at Grindley Brook says its been quietish there the last couple of days with most boats going in..

13 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

@haggis Passed your boat early Wednesday evening on a mission to get a chinese (takeaway) in Chirk. It is a bit busy that end ?

Once you get below Ellesmere  it is nice and steady at the moment.Loads of room to moor without neighbours even. The locky at Grindley Brook says its been quietish there the last couple of days with most boats going in..

It was certainly " interesting" coming through Chirk! We found a lovely quiet mooring a bit further on. We only had a short wait at grindley Brook so not too bad. I think the fact that the canal twists and turns so much and has overhanging trees on both sides reduces the line of sight and makes things more difficult than it needs to be for new boaters. 

Haggis