Tv ariel

onthecanal

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, onthecanal said:

I've used a "normal ariel", worked great but I'm now looking for a small one, thanks

Te rouble with a small aerial is that the signals miss it (not as daft as the statement implies).

We've been through many conputations and foud the best for us (by we are darn sarf) is a small 9 element Yagi (longer ones added very little). Where that doesn't work we use a dish with the approproate adaptor. 

Log periodic or Moonraker DTV1000.

Also helps if you have an app on phone or something else to determine direction to point it. (I use a freeby  iPad one called Antenna Finder)

2 hours ago, onthecanal said:

I've used a "normal ariel", worked great but I'm now looking for a small one, thanks

I think one of mine is a short log periodic :)

Some people have some success with the short rubber stub type things, but I tried one and got no picture. 

Why do you want a small one?

14 hours ago, onthecanal said:

When cruising I don't want the tall ariel on the roof, and storing it inside is a pain

We have a two metre pole on the bow with the Ariel on top. An app to show rough direction where to point it. When cruising it lays on the roof.

• Greenie 2

We tried a few different aerials over the years and none were particularly good.  Then 2 years ago we changed all the aerial cables from normal co-axial to quad shield co-axial and a small cheap log periodic aerial. The difference it's made has been truly remarkable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monoprice-Quad-Shield-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B001URGQY6/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=115473660469&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwn6GGBhADEiwAruUcKubMdYXLsIdPLYBV6p_YHedQcac3CKZERWE3yVW8Qo51tF65KqWN1xoCvfkQAvD_BwE&hvadid=489786940791&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007103&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6830740026298020671&hvtargid=kwd-377065785567&hydadcr=1568_1935622&keywords=quad+shield+coaxial+cable&qid=1623744618&sr=8-3

The extra layers in the new cables is what has made the difference as has the better connections too (I got a professional to do it after previously doing the connections myself). Apparently the extra cable insulation reduces interference from other cables such as electrical and HDMI ones. We travel the country and the only time we haven't managed a signal was near the far end of the Caldon Canal. Often we don't even have to raise or reposition the aerial from it's travelling position

9 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Apparently the extra cable insulation reduces interference 

No it doesn't, extra insulation does not have any affect at all.

The only way to stop signal losses (improve the reception) is by increaaisng the density of the braid to stop leakage or interference. Standard TV aerial cable often has a very loose-open braid.

The metallic covering (be it braid or foil) is the shield,. You will note that the stuff in the link has both a 60% coverage braid and a 100% coverage foil.

When we were making cable for the MOD to Def stan 61-12, there were two standards of braid coverage, 70% for GP use and 90% for high quality transmission data cables.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No it doesn't, extra insulation does not have any affect at all.

The only way to stop signal losses (improve the reception) is by increaaisng the density of the braid to stop leakage or interference. Standard TV aerial cable often has a very loose-open braid.

The metallic covering (be it braid or foil) is the shield,. You will note that the stuff in the link has both a 60% coverage braid and a 100% coverage foil.

When we were making cable for the MOD to Def stan 61-12, there were two standards of braid coverage, 70% for GP use and 90% for high quality transmission data cables.

The insulation just keeps the signal warm and stops the water that has percolated into the cable from bad connections from freezing and making the cable stiff.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/06/2021 at 20:29, onthecanal said:

When cruising I don't want the tall ariel on the roof, and storing it inside is a pain

That depends upon how you do it. I had a caravan log periodic and when not in use it pushed onto a short length of broom handle screwed onto hull lining beside the back steps. Its pole sat under the gunnel.

We have and enjoy a quality picture with our cheapy pro logic Ariel. In poor signal areas the picture is of less quality and sometime lose signal.

My theory is that the co-axial cable is a cheapy also. When putting on the connector the ‘foil’ under the insulation is almost non existent. So much so that I think there’s not enough of the stuff.

Im open to suggestions, detailed of course. Nice new cable. Willing to pay a reasonable amount. At the Ariel end I guess soldering is going to be required. I can solder but not very well.