Boat fire on the Cov

tree monkey

Featured Posts

Just walked down to the car park to find the place full of police, fire and ambulance, dealing with a boat fire, by the time I got there the fire was out and apparently the people on board are alive and been taken to hospital.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just left the Coventry for a couple of days on the Ashby, where abouts was it?

Bugger, sorry it was early

At the services at bottom of Atherstone locks, bradley green right by the spon lane road bridge

Came past there about two hours ago. Saw the boat. In the well deck there’s a burnt out generator, not a suitcase style. I thought at the time that was what caught fire. But, must be an internal fire then. It has taken on a great deal of water by the looks of it!

59 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Came past there about two hours ago. Saw the boat. In the well deck there’s a burnt out generator, not a suitcase style. I thought at the time that was what caught fire. But, must be an internal fire then. It has taken on a great deal of water by the looks of it!

I suspect the water was pumped in by the fire service, they were there on mass with all the hoses and pumps on site, they attended really quickly and soon had the fire out

It wasn't the genny, something inside caused the fire there was a fairly large series of shotgun like bangs about 4am

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Boat looks like it got off fairly lightly, all the potholes have blown out towpath side and front looks scorched, I imagine it looks a lot worse inside

20210609_142851.jpg

Looks like an early Stowe Hill boat.

13 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I suspect the water was pumped in by the fire service, they were there on mass with all the hoses and pumps on site, they attended really quickly and soon had the fire out

It wasn't the genny, something inside caused the fire there was a fairly large series of shotgun like bangs about 4am

The windows being blown out perhaps?

14 minutes ago, sarahavfc said:

According to my firefighter friend who was in attendance, the boat had a number of helium tanks on board, the small ones you get in shops for blowing up balloons. 

He also said that the port hole didn’t need to be smashed as the sealant had melted and they just pushed the glass inside.

For blowing up balloons and also for sniffing!

1 hour ago, Chris John said:

For blowing up balloons and also for sniffing!

I believe that you can breath in Helium to do Micky Mouse impersonations but otherwise it has no mind altering effects. Its also inert.

..............Dave

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

I believe that you can breath in Helium to do Micky Mouse impersonations but otherwise it has no mind altering effects. Its also inert.

..............Dave

Some confusion with helium and nitrous oxide I think

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Some confusion with helium and nitrous oxide I think

Nitrous Oxide is also not flammable but can assist combustion. If it was in the small steel bottles they would go off like shotgun shells when super hot.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Nitrous Oxide is also not flammable but can assist combustion. If it was in the small steel bottles they would go off like shotgun shells when super hot.

Boy racers use N2O in cars to boost performance but prolonged use may damage the engine.

Nitrous Oxide Systems - Boost Your Car with these Options (tuningguru.com)

PROs and CONs of Nitrous Oxide Systems Tuning

PROs

• Extreme power boost without the need to reach excessive rpms.
  • Economical: One of the most inexpensive ways to gain performance.
  • Virtually every stock engine can find a kit to fit their vehicle.
  • Easy to install.
  • Safe when properly installed.
  • You can get extra style points by decorating your bottle to match your ride or give it more character.
  • Controllers are available for many kits that allow you to bank your system.

CONs

• Bulky: The engine needs a fair amount of nitrous to work effectively. Like any other gas, even when compressed into liquid form, it takes up quite a bit of space. This is why cars carry only a few minutes’ worth and only use it when needed.
  • Some upgrades to internal components may be necessary especially if it is being used for racing.
  • Higher octane fuel may be needed for some applications increasing the cost to use nitrous oxide on your vehicle.
  • Has to be refilled once empty.
  • Misuse or improper installation can cause severe engine damage.

I wonder if I could get another knot out of a LPWS3 if I installed a NOS system?

I already have a "go faster exhaust.":)

DSCF2341.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Boy racers use N2O in cars to boost performance but prolonged use may damage the engine.

Nitrous Oxide Systems - Boost Your Car with these Options (tuningguru.com)

PROs and CONs of Nitrous Oxide Systems Tuning

PROs

• Extreme power boost without the need to reach excessive rpms.
  • Economical: One of the most inexpensive ways to gain performance.
  • Virtually every stock engine can find a kit to fit their vehicle.
  • Easy to install.
  • Safe when properly installed.
  • You can get extra style points by decorating your bottle to match your ride or give it more character.
  • Controllers are available for many kits that allow you to bank your system.

CONs

• Bulky: The engine needs a fair amount of nitrous to work effectively. Like any other gas, even when compressed into liquid form, it takes up quite a bit of space. This is why cars carry only a few minutes’ worth and only use it when needed.
  • Some upgrades to internal components may be necessary especially if it is being used for racing.
  • Higher octane fuel may be needed for some applications increasing the cost to use nitrous oxide on your vehicle.
  • Has to be refilled once empty.
  • Misuse or improper installation can cause severe engine damage.

I wonder if I could get another knot out of a LPWS3 if I installed a NOS system?

I already have a "go faster exhaust.":)

DSCF2341.jpg

That is quite interesting since pretty much everywhere I go on the pushbike I see these little steel containers at the roadside and have always assumed that they were discarded by people who had been inhaling the gas. I'm not sure how much of a performance boost you are going to get out of a gas cartridge the size of a sparklets bulb (remember them?;)) but that does put up an alternative.

9 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

That is quite interesting since pretty much everywhere I go on the pushbike I see these little steel containers at the roadside and have always assumed that they were discarded by people who had been inhaling the gas. I'm not sure how much of a performance boost you are going to get out of a gas cartridge the size of a sparklets bulb (remember them?;)) but that does put up an alternative.

The little silver cartridges are these:

What are the little metal cylinders you keep seeing around Coventry? - CoventryLive (coventrytelegraph.net)

These are the car kits:

SB150i Nitrous Kit (noswizard.com)

28 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Have to say I was hoping that it was the power boost to the car rather than blowing the mind of the driver that could have been responsible for all of these cartridges. They are pretty much everywhere and I mainly see them at the roadside suggesting they have been discarded from passing vehicles.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update to this.

Someone turned up to try to refloat the boat and after some enthusiastic attempts with buckets were assisted by the loan of a genny and a decent pump, although not completely pumped out it was much safer and all the outlets clear of the water.

Unfortunately someone removed the covers off the solar panels which led to the solar trying to charge knackered batteries which then eventually pop and caused another fire, the fire brigade attended again and put the fire out but the boat is again looking very lopsided and full if water again.

To be clear the information about the cause if the fire is second hand information but it sounds reasonable and is I think from a fairly trusted source 

Edited by tree monkey
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

She is on the move- passed her today being towed at Hartshill around bridge 28. The engine of the towing boat looked to be needing help too 🤣

70D94EA6-90FE-4B6C-B100-3B6D776FEF1C.jpeg

BD48E8C8-EFDD-4149-9972-5B0FF1552A75.jpeg

2C282D53-2E51-42A1-809E-755953C8B33C.jpeg

Is that a Springer doing the towing, if so we have seen it about on the N Oxford, smoky is an under statement