Grade A energy, 240v under counter fridge

Andy300

Featured Posts

Apologies for starting yet another fridge topic ?

However the good news is I’m not going to ask if I should get 12v or 240 ?. I know what I want, ie:

A grade A energy efficient 240, under counter fridge. Ideally it would be without a freezer compartment as I really don’t need one.

I thought this would be an easy Google search, but I found one product that was A+ last year, being regraded to F from 1/3/21 as the energy codes have just changed. All very confusing. 

So can anyone recommend a fridge that will successfully tick my boxes?
Thanks. 

We have installed a Lieberhh 60 wide fridge only A++, with its own dedicated PSW inverter as it disnt like the MSW. It is brilliant that we can store a weeks food and BBQ meat along with juice, wine, beer, water, salad and everything else and it just sits there silent and cold.

Thanks Matty 

Just checked and that looks like a great fridge, but I see the energy rating is an E. 
(To be honest I really don’t understand the changes in energy grade/ratings)

Edited by Andy300

Thanks Matty. I looked into the energy this fridge uses and came to the conclusion the ‘new” energy ratings are rather idealistic, and I’m currently trying to source one local to me. I appreciate your feedback. 

4 minutes ago, Andy300 said:

Thanks Matty. I looked into the energy this fridge uses and came to the conclusion the ‘new” energy ratings are rather idealistic, and I’m currently trying to source one local to me. I appreciate your feedback. 

Mains fridges these days are a no brainer through a high quality inverter. Far more choice of colours/sizes/specs. Easily available and 18 million time less money than a poxy 12 volt unit.

I'm in a similar situation, due to my Shoreline not functioning properly. I've looked at fridges for days. It's been difficult to find an under counter fridge with a coolbox. There are plenty of larder fridges. I've noticed a big leap in power consumption, once you add an icebox/coolbox to the unit. I've been running the not-so-healthy Shoreline through a watt meter, to see just how much power it is currently using; it would amount to something like 72 amp hours a day; pretty horrendous. Oddly enough, a small coolbox, used in the car, uses no less. 

I've decided on a Smeg, running at 120KwH a year - from Boots. Boots Kitchen Appliances | Washing Machines, Fridges & More . It looks for all the world like the Shoreline, outside and inside.

Before I go ahead and purchase a new fridge, I'm going to DIY re-gas the Shoreline. Waiting on the bits to do that. 

Edited by Higgs

Liebherr do seem to have the lowest energy fridges, but only some models and not cheap -- if you want a larder fridge (no freezer) the Liebherr TP1720 is the lowest consumption.

https://www.sust-it.net/energy-saving/undercounter-larder-fridges

BTW this is by far the best site I've found for tracking down low-energy domestic appliances for boats...

Thanks Ian. 
I was just about to pull the trigger and order a Liebherr TP1720, but when I checked my current fridge dimensions  (and cupboard size) it’s smaller ie 850mm H x 500mm W x 520mm D. 

More Google searching required, unless anyone knows of a 240 low energy, fridge only, of this size? ?

1 hour ago, Andy300 said:

Thanks Ian. 
I was just about to pull the trigger and order a Liebherr TP1720, but when I checked my current fridge dimensions  (and cupboard size) it’s smaller ie 850mm H x 500mm W x 520mm D. 

More Google searching required, unless anyone knows of a 240 low energy, fridge only, of this size? ?

We are in the same boat ? so I'm following closely. 

I think the A+ type was an EU rating and now, after Brexit we must use the UK one. My new TV had a bundle of sick on labels for different jurisdictions and it was   (I think) it was A for the EU and possibly G or E for the UK.

Here you go: https://www.simplyelectricals.co.uk/blog/new-energy-ratings-for-the-uk-in-2021 explains the 2021 UK ratings

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think the A+ type was an EU rating and now, after Brexit we must use the UK one. My new TV had a bundle of sick on labels for different jurisdictions and it was   (I think) it was A for the EU and possibly G or E for the UK.

Here you go: https://www.simplyelectricals.co.uk/blog/new-energy-ratings-for-the-uk-in-2021 explains the 2021 UK ratings

It came in, in 2020. It was confusing for a while. Had to look up why the Ads were stating A, and the like, but the efficiency chart rated the appliances at E/F.     E/F is about average for most now. It is, apparently, a move to encourage higher efficiency targets. I can see the logic in that. Having reached the A's, it might make manufacturers feel they can rest on their laurels. 

Edited by Higgs

4 hours ago, Andy300 said:

Thanks Ian. 

That was the size of my cupboard, and also the size of the oven space...but we wanted to be able to store food, and cook properly, so I redesigned the whole starboard side of the galley to fit the 60 fridge, 60 Belling oven grill, and managed to make use of the wasted corner of the L by installing a magic shelf unit that had just 3mm clearance to fit and pull out properly.