scrap batteries !!

crosser

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, crosser said:

just wondering if my old batteries are worth anything as scrap or should i just leave with the boat yard?

I found a current price for lead acid batteries of 51p per kilo, so yes, they are worth weighing in.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, crosser said:

just wondering if my old batteries are worth anything as scrap or should i just leave with the boat yard?

Yes, they have scrap value normally.

We sold ours on Ebay.

Got £11 for a dead car battery and they came and picked it up.

Got £63 for a pair of well used (but not dead) leisure batteries which are now on a yacht on the east coast somewhere. They came and picked those up as well.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, crosser said:

didnt realise mine are 4 x 240a batteries, there bloody huge...  such a shame there dead as must of cost a fortune...

£169 I pay for mine (I have 6x 230Ah)

Get £25 each when 'weighed in' so the price per annum (they last ~5 years) is pretty economical.

9 minutes ago, crosser said:

thanks for that,  good make aswell...   does it matter that there not leisure batterys?

Never found it a problem - most 'leisure' batteries seem to be re-badged starter batteries.

The advantage is that the caps are removable so you can check and refill which makes them last a lot longer.

Just a thought - check terminal orientation is correct.

The 624 batteries are the reverse of the 625 batteries - it may be important if your wiring is geared up a certain way.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

Other than eBay, is there anywhere else that is particularly keen to take dead batteries for cash, and does that also apply to sealed ones? 

Local scrap yards, or travelling scrap dealers (look on facebook)

SWMO contacted one off face book and they came and collected about half-a-dozen and a load of other old metal, and an old washing machine that we 'threw onto their trailer whilst it was here' Much easier than having to make a timed appointment at the tip and the time and fuel to take it there.

The thing is with sealed ones is that you cannot 'fill them up' to add a bit of extra weight - but as far as the 'scrappies' are concerned, there is no difference between sealed and non-sealed.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

Other than eBay, is there anywhere else that is particularly keen to take dead batteries for cash, and does that also apply to sealed ones? 

I got rid of a number of batteries at a local scrappie, along with a pile of old lead piping that had been cluttering the cellar for years.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, crosser said:

before i scrap these batteries is it worth trying to save them?  just watched some utube on restoring batteries with epsom salts etc...  or is it not worth the bother? 

Waste of time. If it worked, it would be done everywhere all the time. 

Don't believe anything on You tube, they are not millionaires so it is obvious it doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Don't believe anything on You tube, they are not millionaires so it is obvious it doesn't work.

Some of them are but not from restoring batteries, just from making videos that people watch

A few years ago I weighed in three of those big, big batteries. The scrap man said "that's £90"

"£90??" I asked 

"Yes that's all you're getting" says he

"Blinkin eck! (or words to that effect)", says I. "That's brilliant, get yourself and the lads in the office a drink on me"