Are you a " Traveller" ?

Are you a " traveller" ?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. As a boater do you have a problem with being grouped with the name " Travellers" as in the National Bargee Travellers Association ?

• I have no problem with this.
    • I do not wish to be associated with the term "Travellers ".

Featured Posts

My mother used to help "Gypsies" with a cuppa, a sit down and she would buy pegs from them, they used to camp near our home for the winter and the kids would attend the local school, they were great fun to be around.

After the Hippy era came to an end, quite a lot of "free spirit" people took to the canals, you would often see boats moored up with long lines of washing, lots of "things" on the roof of the boat and huge numbers of children and dogs running around.

The term "travellers" came to be applied to the groups of people who would travel around the country is badly maintained (untaxed and uninsured) lorries, buses and vans, camping illegally and ruining the area whilst stealing anything that wasn't nailed down. I had the misfortune to be robbed by a member one such group who broke into my car and stole all our luggage. The local Police knew exactly who had committed the crime but could do nothing as there were any number of his fellow travellers who would swear he was nowhere near our car and if the luggage had been found in the campsite they would say they had just found it in a ditch and were about to take it to the Police.

My only experience with these people has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Real Gypsies and Romanies are lovely people, they simply have the view that all property is theft, if something is not being used then they will use it, then leave it for someone else to use, not a viewpoint I share or condone.

As far as I'm concerned someone who lives (and travels) on a boat simply has an alternate lifestyle and is unlikely to steal and spoil. Those who are called "Travellers" are not the same as boaters and caravanners.

Rant over!

• Greenie 1

We have a friend whose job was flight safety, particularly in the context of pilot certification. In some circumstances it could become awkward if he told people his job, so he took to saying, in a similar ethos, that he 'travelled in aluminium tubes', which stifled any further interest in his work.

Tam

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Puffling said:

Slippery slope ahoy!

You are of course aware that black, Asian and mixed ethnic people represent 25% of the prison population and 41% in the youth justice system. Yet they comprise merely 14% of the general population. (Figures are from 2017). Criminalising a particular type of behaviour because it doesn't fit in with what Alan Watts described as "lawn order" can't be extrapolated back to suggest that certain types of people are up to no good. Or have bad genes, even.

I am also aware that 82% of statistics are made up of selective counting, and 94.3% depend on the criteria used for that purpose. Sadly  this means only 8% of statistics can be relied on by rational people, who make up only 23% of the general population (once you've discounted certain personality types).

18 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I am also aware that 82% of statistics are made up of selective counting, and 94.3% depend on the criteria used for that purpose. Sadly  this means only 8% of statistics can be relied on by rational people, who make up only 23% of the general population (once you've discounted certain personality types).

You're 100% right.

....or should that be 67.6%?

49 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

We have a friend whose job was flight safety, particularly in the context of pilot certification. In some circumstances it could become awkward if he told people his job, so he took to saying, in a similar ethos, that he 'travelled in aluminium tubes', which stifled any further interest in his work.

Tam

I worked on deep sea going oil tankers years ago.  I once told a girl I worked in oil and steel, to which she replied, “are you some kind of sardine?”.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

On 08/06/2021 at 14:09, Arthur Marshall said:

Surely there should be a further option that as a boater I don't want to be associated with the NBTA?

Ouite so, the NBTA acts like a spoilt child, as all you ever hear from them is 'I want!! I want!! I want!!'. Back in October 2020 the NBTA Chairman demanded that MLC remove the requirement for insurance and salvage from the conditions of registration. Navagtion Advisory Committee Meeting 10th November 2020 minuites (See section 9)   The NBTA claim to speak for all liveaboards which they don't and never have and never will. I rather trust the Residential Boat Owners Association who get on with the job with no fanfare. 

What is the general opinion of the RBOA?

As a permanent leisure boater living the dream, most of the time, would I benefit from paying my £30+ donation yearly?

When I looked years ago I got the impression that they were only interested in residential boaters on full residential moorings. They may have changed.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

My main issue with the NBTA is that they in the main seem to want to do the exact opposite of travelling. 

NBTA - You mean that it REALLY DOES mean

No

Boats

Travel

Anywhere

or is it

National

Boats always

Tied up

Association