Exhibition by Canal Charity's first Photographer-in-Residence launched at Ellesmere Port Waterway Museum

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

7th June 2021

EXHIBITION BY CANAL CHARITY’S FIRST PHOTOGRAPHER-IN-RESIDENCE LAUNCHED AT NATIONAL WATERWAYS MUSEUM, ELLESMERE PORT

Stunning waterway images by the Canal & River Trust’s first photographer-in-residence, Jonathan Goldberg, are being showcased in a special summer exhibition at the Trust’s National Waterways Museum in Ellesmere Port.

Jonathan was awarded a six month residency by the waterways and wellbeing charity after winning first prize in the 2019 Flow Photo Competition, organised in partnership with the Future Water Association and Parker Harris. The judging panel were impressed by his “highly individual, idiosyncratic angle on people engaging with water”.

The exhibition features nearly 40 photographs, taking inspiration from visits to canals in Liverpool, Manchester, London, Huddersfield, Sheffield, West Midlands, Gloucester and the famous Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in North Wales.

Jonathan, who is a portrait and documentary photographer based in London, relished the challenge, focusing on human interaction with the Trust’s 2,000 miles of waterways. His photos celebrate the broad range of leisure opportunities enjoyed by people, like the Trust’s popular Let’s Fish angling courses, as well as boating, canoeing, walking and cycling.

He said: “My overall approach to this project has been about people who caught my eye, composed within a carefully considered environment. I love the way that you can walk or cycle along a canal and see so many eclectic views of people and boats. The slow pace of life feels therapeutic in today’s super-charged world. I can only hope my photos inspire others to extend their relationship with our unique, inland waterways.”

Tim Eastop, arts & culture partner leading the Trust’s creative programme, added: “There is a special tone, emotion and humour in Jonathan’s images, which you pick up. The collection displays a distinctive colour palette which embodies both the people and the historic waterway structures in the background. It’s a wonderful snapshot of how we enjoy canals in the 21st century – and we hope the collection will encourage people to go and explore for themselves, with or without a camera.”

Jonathan Goldberg’s photographic exhibition will be on view until Monday 9 August 2021 in the museum’s Island Warehouse.

Please visit the museum website for opening dates and times https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit/national-waterways-museum. Adult tickets cost £9.75, children £6 and families £25.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Lynn Pegler

m 07783 686246 e lynn.pegler@canalrivertrust.org.uk

NW Communications Manager, Canal & River Trust