Best tool for prepping epoxy excluding grit blast?

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Polishicebreaker said:

Hi, I've been out the boat game for a little while, is there anything better these days for DIY epoxy prep than a terco blaster tool ? 

( I know about scrabblers but they are expensive)

cheers

Could you describe the job you have in mind. As someone who has painted boats for a living, the scabbler is a tool I would definitely have. It soon pays for itself. It can be a costly tool, but it cuts the time down for stripping paint to the shell; especially sand coated roof areas. If you do not wish to pay out for labour-saving devices, I can only suggest you roll your sleeves up and scrape and sand, also using wire wheels. I've scraped roof areas, sometimes for 3 or 4 days - no fun. 

Edited by Higgs

20 minutes ago, Polishicebreaker said:

Hi, I've been out the boat game for a little while, is there anything better these days for DIY epoxy prep than a terco blaster tool ? 

( I know about scrabblers but they are expensive)

cheers

Scrabblers are available at many / most hire shops, no need to buy one for a 'one-off' job.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Scrabblers are available at many / most hire shops, no need to buy one for a 'one-off' job.

There may be some extra cost, in having a new set of star wheels. For sand coated areas, you need the wheels for concrete. 

thanks may be worth hiring one!   Just debating whether all the paint needs to come off the bottom or just scratch up the old epoxy. 

There is specks of rust coming through as it didn't get done that well 7 years ago so maybe it's time to do it properly-   boo  :(

51 minutes ago, Polishicebreaker said:

thanks may be worth hiring one!   Just debating whether all the paint needs to come off the bottom or just scratch up the old epoxy. 

There is specks of rust coming through as it didn't get done that well 7 years ago so maybe it's time to do it properly-   boo  :(

If you're thinking of large areas, and epoxy isn't cheap, a decent tool could save you lots of time. For instance: A scabbler can strip a 40 foot roof in a matter of hours. Scraping will take days. This could take a toll on your hands and joints. 

Edited by Higgs

Scrabblers are not hugely expensive to buy, look on Ebay. I would suggest buying one then selling it as second hand after the work is complete. Probably cheaper than hiring one.

I have one of these and its great at removing paint. attach it to a wet and dry vac and it removes a lot of the mess as you go. image.png.f5c4c25bc37e5e240f75628dae896cc5.png

If your existing epoxy was well adhered and in reasonable condition then I'd say give it a good key with a medium grit paper, clean the surface well, patch prime with epoxy where you've gone through to metal and then give the whole lot 2 or 3 more coats according to the overcoating times given in the product spec sheet.

If as you say, rust is coming through or the paint is flaking because it wasn't done properly last time, then you might be better off talking it all back to metal.

Edited by blackrose

5 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Scrabblers are not hugely expensive to buy, look on Ebay. I would suggest buying one then selling it as second hand after the work is complete. Probably cheaper than hiring one.

I have one of these and its great at removing paint. attach it to a wet and dry vac and it removes a lot of the mess as you go. image.png.f5c4c25bc37e5e240f75628dae896cc5.png

great thanks, what brand is this?