Rugeley loses its towers

MHS

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

More footage of the demolition, from lots of different angles, 1x speed and slow motion. Smoke rings coming out the top as they collapse.

Jen

I wonder why the 2 levels of bangs, ground level and a ring in the concrete tower itself.

My school career advice was rubbish, nobody told me about how blowing shit up could be a job, they tried to get me Into Vauxhalls for gods sake, I could have been making shit go bang for a living 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I wonder why the 2 levels of bangs, ground level and a ring in the concrete tower itself.

I wondered the same thing. On at least one shot it looks like the upper explosives don't go all the way around the circle, so maybe it's a way to introduce some asymmetry and help the towers fall in towards the middle of the group rather than outwards. 

MP.

2 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I wondered the same thing. On at least one shot it looks like the upper explosives don't go all the way around the circle, so maybe it's a way to introduce some asymmetry and help the towers fall in towards the middle of the group rather than outwards. 

MP.

Good thinking, like cutting out the wedge on a tree

9 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Those chainsaws are old hat. You really need to work on tree felling using plastic explosives.

MP.

Funnily enough.

The yanks have a product for severing fallen branches using plastic, the idea was for power line storm damage, they never let me play with that either 

• Happy 1

10 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Those chainsaws are old hat. You really need to work on tree felling using plastic explosives.

MP.

Or reintroduce beavers. ? 

On 07/06/2021 at 21:31, matty40s said:

Does anyone know why the cooling towers further down the Trent near Mercia Marina Willington are still there. The power station disappeared a lot longer ago than Rugeleys, but they continue to impress coming along the A50.

Yes, they were still there last Thursday. Aren't they now listed or something?

On 08/06/2021 at 16:48, Stroudwater1 said:

Im sure I remember some wooden cooling  towers by a canal, they had a wide variety of algae and moss growing on them, very decorative but I suspect they wouldn't have survived if it was being used. This would have been in the 70s,  Would that have been by Nechells? 

There was one alongside Ryders Green locks.