I need Help

Featured Posts

Yes. It's a JP3 (or possibly the later JS variant). Fitted with marine engine water cooled manifold and silencer and Blackstone mechanical gearbox.

27 hp @1000 rpm.

1 minute ago, GraphicEdit said:

do you know any "maintenance" guy? for this?

Try @RLWP.

What is the problem you need help with?

Just now, GraphicEdit said:

sometimes it dosent start...

I think you need to be a little biy more forthcoming with your questions and replies, 3 or 4 words does not really help people to give you sensible answers.

If you have run out of fuel so it doesnt start, you need very different advice compared to if you say the piston is sticking out of the side of the engine.

There can be dozens of things that could make it 'not start'.

Help the experts to help you.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think you need to be a little biy more forthcoming with your questions and replies, 3 or 4 words does not really help people to give you sensible answers.

His posts to me don't read as if English is his first language, which if that is the case, greater clarity might be difficult.

• Greenie 1

3 days with a boat and sometimes it won't start makes me suspect batteries.

@GraphicEdit When you operate the starter what happens? Does it just click and do nothing? Does it make no noise and do nothing? What do any warning lamps and gauges do when trying to start? Does it spin over as fast as it used to but not fire? Does it spin over but very much slower? And finally have you dipped the fuel tank and found at least six inches (150mm) of fuel in it?

You say you've had it 3 days and 'sometimes' it doesn't start. Have you ever had it running? Are you starting it on high compression? You definitely need to give more information and Tracy's suggestion is good if there is a language difficulty.

Tam

25 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Is it fitted with electric start, or hand start only?

I am wondering if the cylindrical thing that seems to be linked with a chain around the had start gear is a dynostart and if so its unlikely to produce very much charge so 3 days without much running suggests maybe discharged bateries.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am wondering if the cylindrical thing that seems to be linked with a chain around the had start gear is a dynostart and if so its unlikely to produce very much charge so 3 days without much running suggests maybe discharged bateries.

That starting mod looks interesting at best...I don't think its dynostart....or its hopefully not working as a dyno unit as that means there's no freewheel...which does bring me to another point......Im also slightly concerned you cant see the flywheel sticking out from the front of the engine.....maybe that's just the camera angle.

I think this set up which is far from standard for a JP/JK needs someone to look at it in person....and someone with JP experience to boot....

1 minute ago, frangar said:

That starting mod looks interesting at best...I don't think its dynostart....or its hopefully not working as a dyno unit as that means there's no freewheel...which does bring me to another point......Im also slightly concerned you cant see the flywheel sticking out from the front of the engine.....maybe that's just the camera angle.

I think this set up which is far from standard for a JP/JK needs someone to look at it in person....and someone with JP experience to boot....

Ah, that rules me out then. I was faintly considering having a drive up to Oxford, but not now.

36 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Others will confirm but I think they are used to set high or low compression for starting and/or running.

I have a feeling that they are not so vital electric starting.

Yes. Change compression. High…screwed in…starting & low load running. Low..screwd out. Running med/high load. I move mine but lots leave them screwed in on Narrowboats…unless you are doing the thames that would be ok. 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Yes. Change compression. High…screwed in…starting & low load running. Low..screwd out. Running med/high load. I move mine but lots leave them screwed in on Narrowboats…unless you are doing the thames that would be ok. 

And they must be screwed either fully in or fully out. Anywhere in between and you will lose compression.

2 hours ago, GraphicEdit said:

this is the my narrowboat engine...

No it's not. Yours is a marine engine, with the flywheel at the same end as the injector pump. That generator is powered by an industrial JP3 which has the flywheel at the other end.  (You do see industrial JP3s in boats, with varying degrees of marinisation and a variety of different gearboxes).

• Greenie 1