Timings and moorings for Bingley 5-rise and 3-rise

IanD

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, IanD said:

I got that. But fixed closed (canal blocked, no passage) or open (road blocked, alternatives available)?

You don't honestly think that they'll obstruct road traffic which can find an alternative route in favour of canal traffic which has slightly more limited alternatives???.

Just now, Opener said:

You don't honestly think that they'll obstruct road traffic which can find an alternative route in favour of canal traffic which has slightly more limited alternatives???.

I don't know, I've asked CART the question.

16 hours ago, IanD said:

So, just when everything looked good...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/20043-bridge-198a-morton-swing-bridge-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

"The bridge will be unavailable on Thursday 8th July 2021 between 10:00 and 14:30 due to the planned works."

Since opening times to go down Bingley (less than an hour away) are officially 8am-9am and 1pm-2pm, this makes passage impossible if you stop before the bridge the night before -- say, for example, at Silsden (2.5 hours away) on Wednesday 7th... ?

Assuming that "unavailable" means "closed to boats" -- does anyone have any idea whether this is what it means?

Ian - note that what the CRT site says about Bingley locks and what is actually happening are two different things. As long as you turn up at the top of the 5 rise by 3.30 you will be fine to get down.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

But if the power failed with the bridge closed, how would you open it?

My assumption -- very possibly wrong, thinking about it! -- was that somebody from CART would be there, and could open it before power-off and close it after power-on.

1 hour ago, John Wareing said:

Ian - note that what the CRT site says about Bingley locks and what is actually happening are two different things. As long as you turn up at the top of the 5 rise by 3.30 you will be fine to get down.

I know, somebody said that earlier. But I'd hate to *rely* on it, because we *have* to be in Saltaire on Thursday evening for various reasons.

Anyway if the power at Morton doesn't come back on until 2:30pm it's an hour and a half to the top of Bingley which means 4pm...

Looks like an early start is needed (7am if we're at Silsden) to get through it before the power goes off... ?

Edited by IanD

21 minutes ago, IanD said:

My assumption -- very possibly wrong, thinking about it! -- was that somebody from CART would be there, and could open it before power-off and close it after power-on.

I know, somebody said that earlier. But I'd hate to *rely* on it, because we *have* to be in Saltaire on Thursday evening for various reasons.

Anyway if the power at Morton doesn't come back on until 2:30pm it's an hour and a half to the top of Bingley which means 4pm...

Looks like an early start is needed (7am if we're at Silsden) to get through it before the power goes off... ?

4pm is probably OK but I agree if you want to be sure then it’s an early start. No bad thing at this time of year anyway….

14 minutes ago, John Wareing said:

4pm is probably OK but I agree if you want to be sure then it’s an early start. No bad thing at this time of year anyway….

I'm going to try asking CART if they will allow late entry to the top of Bingley in view of the Morton closure, but I won't hold my breath waiting for an answer...

42 minutes ago, IanD said:

I'm going to try asking CART if they will allow late entry to the top of Bingley in view of the Morton closure, but I won't hold my breath waiting for an answer...

There’s a decent chance that the repair could be finished early too.

3 hours ago, John Wareing said:

There’s a decent chance that the repair could be finished early too.

The problem is that the only option that I know will get us to Saltaire that evening is to get past Morton before 10am; anything else might work, but also might not work and leave us stuck at the top of the 5 Rise until it opens on Friday morning.

Of all the days in all the year to remove power from the bridge, why did they have to pick that one? ?

11 hours ago, IanD said:

The problem is that the only option that I know will get us to Saltaire that evening is to get past Morton before 10am; anything else might work, but also might not work and leave us stuck at the top of the 5 Rise until it opens on Friday morning.

Of all the days in all the year to remove power from the bridge, why did they have to pick that one? ?

Don't stop at Silsden then.  Carry on a bit further - try Riddlesden and the Marquis of Granby.

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Don't stop at Silsden then.  Carry on a bit further - try Riddlesden and the Marquis of Granby.

Might well do that, though it'll mean a long day (Gargrave the night before, Bollywood Cottage...) and the moorings there don't look especially salubrious -- are they OK?

The other option is to moor somewhere between Silsden and Morton, though there are no obvious moorings -- any suggestions for a nice place to stop?

P.S. Thanks for the feedback ?

Edited by IanD

Is your desire to get to Saltaire because you want to visitor because you think you need to get that far? It’s perfectly possible to get from the top of the 5 rise to Apperley Bridge in a day because we did the reverse a couple of weeks ago not setting off until 11am. Setting off down the 5 rise at 8am would allow you a stopover in Saltaire anyway.

It’s a pity this is not on a Friday or Saturday as you could have gone to the Goose Eye brewery tap in Crossflats. I’ve not been but my son, who I trust implicitly on these matters rates it highly.

22 minutes ago, John Wareing said:

Is your desire to get to Saltaire because you want to visitor because you think you need to get that far? It’s perfectly possible to get from the top of the 5 rise to Apperley Bridge in a day because we did the reverse a couple of weeks ago not setting off until 11am. Setting off down the 5 rise at 8am would allow you a stopover in Saltaire anyway.

It’s a pity this is not on a Friday or Saturday as you could have gone to the Goose Eye brewery tap in Crossflats. I’ve not been but my son, who I trust implicitly on these matters rates it highly.

We need to get to Saltaire on Thursday night because on Friday morning my son's girlfriend will be presenting an online conference paper (yes I know, holiday was booked more than a year ago before this date was set...) from a friend's house there -- and plan to spend Thursday evening in the Saltaire Brewery Tap, where we're meeting up with said friend to buy him a beer or several as a thank-you...

Early start from Silsden still looks like the best bet, unless there's a decent mooring between there and Morton.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

We need to get to Saltaire on Thursday night because on Friday morning my son's girlfriend will be presenting an online conference paper (yes I know, holiday was booked more than a year ago before this date was set...) from a friend's house there -- and plan to spend Thursday evening in the Saltaire Brewery Tap, where we're meeting up with said friend to buy him a beer or several as a thank-you...

Early start from Silsden still looks like the best bet, unless there's a decent mooring between there and Morton.

My son (other one!) moored just outside Riddlesden a couple of weeks ago so it is possible but I don’t know exactly where.

Well, doesn't it just get better and better... ?

Dock Swing Bridge #209 (the one next to Saltaire Brewery) is still broken, won't be fixed until next Tuesday (July 6th) , and is only open from 2pm-2:30pm each day until then.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/20055-bridge-209-faulty-swingbridge

We were due to go through Dock on Saturday but now can't get there in time (3 hours from boat pickup at Apperley Bridge according to Canalplan). So have to aim for a transit on Sunday (go down past Rodley/Newlay on Saturday?), but it'll then be tough to get to Bingley by 4pm (about 2 hours?) to make it up the flights...

Could things get any worse?

Edited by IanD

50 minutes ago, IanD said:

Well, doesn't it just get better and better... ?

Dock Swing Bridge #209 (the one next to Saltaire Brewery) is still broken, won't be fixed until next Tuesday (July 6th) , and is only open from 2pm-2:30pm each day until then.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/20055-bridge-209-faulty-swingbridge

We were due to go through Dock on Saturday but now can't get there in time (3 hours from boat pickup at Apperley Bridge according to Canalplan). So have to aim for a transit on Sunday (go down past Rodley/Newlay on Saturday?), but it'll then be tough to get to Bingley by 4pm (about 2 hours?) to make it up the flights...

Could things get any worse?

I would have a word with your hire company to see if they can talk to someone at CRT about getting you up Bingley on Sunday. The hire companies seem to have plenty of influence with CRT.

16 minutes ago, John Wareing said:

I would have a word with your hire company to see if they can talk to someone at CRT about getting you up Bingley on Sunday. The hire companies seem to have plenty of influence with CRT.

Am going to do just that... ?

...and they've arranged for it to be opened for us ? ? ?

Edited by IanD

And just after everything looked sorted, my son's GF tested positive for Covid this morning, so they can't come. Guess how many of our friends are free to drop everything for a week at a day's notice? ?

• Sad 1