Sheffield & Tinsley Canal

Harpur Hill

Featured Posts

An old photo from when it was busy and the railway and Arches can be seen in use. Most people in Sheffield don’t know this place is there or know any historical facts about the canal basin. So good to see someone taking interest in the local history.697942F4-E97F-47D9-943A-CBE47CD9CA86.jpeg.a611007f1b59faf496bcaadf43ddf6a5.jpeg

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 4

20 hours ago, Harpur Hill said:

Hi all, thought some of you may be interested in this vid . . .

Evidently you're a member of the Sheffield History Forum, as am I. This chap (Paolo somebody, I think) had made and posted a series of videos on there in which he walks along and explores the routes of disused local lines. Some are more interesting than others, but all are worth a look.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Evidently you're a member of the Sheffield History Forum, as am I. This chap (Paolo somebody, I think) had made and posted a series of videos on there in which he walks along and explores the routes of disused local lines. Some are more interesting than others, but all are worth a look.

Indeed I am, I've noted your forum name on there. Agree with your last sentence.

My first introduction to canal cruising was from somewhere near Gunness Wharf at Keadby with a pal in a 6' dingy about 1970ish. Spent the night on the towpath at Barnby Dun - I was younger then! I well remember the multi coloured water in the cut on the approach to Sheffield through the industrial section, hues of orange, red & even yellow. It looks a lot better now, just not so psychodelic.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Harpur Hill said:

I well remember the multi coloured water in the cut on the approach to Sheffield through the industrial section, hues of orange, red & even yellow. 

As a boy, on days out in the Derbyshire Peak District, I remember seeing such water, usually red-ochre in hue, in streams - whether from factory discharge or from deposits in the soil I don't know. It was known by the locals as "ocker watter".

Aye, 'ocker watter', they don't make phrases like that anymore. I think due to iron deposits leaching out from old abandoned (& flooded) mine workings when seen out 'in the wilds' but most likely industrial run off & discharge in the S&SY Navigation.

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

An old photo from when it was busy and the railway and Arches can be seen in use. Most people in Sheffield don’t know this place is there or know any historical facts about the canal basin. So good to see someone taking interest in the local history.697942F4-E97F-47D9-943A-CBE47CD9CA86.jpeg.a611007f1b59faf496bcaadf43ddf6a5.jpeg

What a lovely photo - thanks for sharing.

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

And now the 'arches' are a boat sales broker, cafe, etc etc. (or were a few years ago, the last time we were there)

Very upmarket.

7 minutes ago, Harpur Hill said:

What a lovely photo - thanks for sharing.

Seconded.

It looks almost like a painting, in that so much detail - boats, lorries, trains - is packed into one  view. Surprisingly, the busyness of the scene doesn't extend to human activity; happen t'whistle had just sounded.

Judging by the lorries, mid-1950s or later.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And now the 'arches' are a boat sales broker, cafe, etc etc. (or were a few years ago, the last time we were there)

Very upmarket.

Most of the Arches are Best Weston Hotel to the left, then sandwich shop, CaRT community/volunteer office, a snooker product/research office with full size snooker table, A&G Passanger boat shop, a bar(Dorothy Pax) and finally another bar/eataree(True Love)

No brokerage going on now mainly all leisure moorings. The Marina office is now the old CaRT office by the swing bridge opposite side, unfortunately not open a lot with no contact details or opening hours displayed, which sometimes is frustrating and confusing for visiting boats especially with a fulley signed up CaRT office more prominent. Getting there slowly. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Seconded.

It looks almost like a painting, in that so much detail - boats, lorries, trains - is packed into one  view. Surprisingly, the busyness of the scene doesn't extend to human activity; happen t'whistle had just sounded.

Judging by the lorries, mid-1950s or later.

Must have been a tea break. ?

• Greenie 1

The old photo looks like it's a black and white original that has been coloured by hand using dyes. They used to sell kits for doing this. I never tried colour but in the 1960's I did get a bottle of black retouching dye that could be diluted to produce greys for retouching black and white prints.

If you want to see the trip by one of those working boats in the 50’s have a look at the link below, you will get a far better idea of what he’s talking about and the buildings he’s showing, as you can see the railway on the two pillars, The Stradle and how low Cadman Bridge is.

https://www.yfanefa.com/record/1169

Edited by PD1964

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Very upmarket.

A bar(Dorothy Pax) has been added along with a restaurant 

2 hours ago, Athy said:

She doesn't look very well in the 2004 photo. Since restored, or allowed to drop to bits?

Destroyed and burnt from what I heard. I think someone tried to get a “Dorothy Pax” society together to restore, but all a pipe dream. In the end she was just left to rot and abandoned, the boat yard where she was left had to get rid.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Destroyed and burnt from what I heard. I think someone tried to get a “Dorothy Pax” society together to restore, but all a pipe dream. In the end she was just left to rot and abandoned, the boat yard where she was left had to get rid.

That's exactly what happened