Obligation to Provide Services

Eldog

Featured Posts

Been cruising (at last) for a couple of months and as expected the hire boat company marinas are v busy to the extent I'm being refused services on a regular basis, one company would only do a pump out or provide fuel on a Tuesday or Thursday and one refused point blank.  I would have thought it logical that a condition of their CRT operating licence was to have reasonable access to their facilities available to all boaters.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

No sorry, there is no compulsion for any Marina to provide any services to passing boats, except if there is a specific published agreement between Marina and CRT, eg Fazeley Mill Marina rubbish and elsan disposal. If you are on the KandA there are CRT pumpouts and fuel boats I think?

Thanks for the replies, I was sort of hoping that there was an obligation.  I'm currently on the Llangollen which is hire boat central at the moment, not that I have an issue with hire boats , but I am at the western end and struggling to find fuel and pumpout over the weekend.

As I understand it, no commercial retailer is under any obligation to sell anything. It is the customer who makes the offer, and it's up to the retailer whether to accept that offer. So, if \I go into a confectioner's and ask for a Mars bar, the shopkeeper can refuse to sell me one. He'd be daft to do so, but he'd be within his rights.

Doubtless m'learned friends will be along to tell us that there are exceptions.

12 minutes ago, Eldog said:

Thanks for the replies, I was sort of hoping that there was an obligation.  I'm currently on the Llangollen which is hire boat central at the moment, not that I have an issue with hire boats , but I am at the western end and struggling to find fuel and pumpout over the weekend.

Not only is the weekend peak handover time for hire boats, getting a fleet pumped out, cleaned and fuelled up in a very short time span, they are also now having to do it in a Covidsafe manner.

This means staggering arrivals, no group training sessions(each crew individually), and possibly more stringent cleaning schedules.

So, yes, they are well within their rights and own safety plans to refuse to serve ad hoc customers other than when they see fit....if this is mid week, it is sensible.

Try Mountbatten and Jellicoe coal boat, or one of the Renaissance Canal Carrying fleet(Halsall does pumpouts).

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

As I understand it, no commercial retailer is under any obligation to sell anything. It is the customer who makes the offer, and it's up to the retailer whether to accept that offer.  

Which is why the argument you must sell me diesel at 100% falls down if the retailer says I am only prepared to sell at 60/40. You just have to go elsewhere and buy it.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Athy said:

As I understand it, no commercial retailer is under any obligation to sell anything. It is the customer who makes the offer, and it's up to the retailer whether to accept that offer. So, if \I go into a confectioner's and ask for a Mars bar, the shopkeeper can refuse to sell me one. He'd be daft to do so, but he'd be within his rights.

Doubtless m'learned friends will be along to tell us that there are exceptions.

Yes, discrimination on the basis of a protected characteristic, for one.

14 hours ago, Eldog said:

Been cruising (at last) for a couple of months and as expected the hire boat company marinas are v busy to the extent I'm being refused services on a regular basis, one company would only do a pump out or provide fuel on a Tuesday or Thursday and one refused point blank.  I would have thought it logical that a condition of their CRT operating licence was to have reasonable access to their facilities available to all boaters.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

It has been like this at some bases for a long time