Crack in Morso Squirrel stove collar

Featured Posts

I was back to the boat on Tuesday and applied a bit of fire cement to the junction between the stove collar and the flue where the cement had cracked. This was intended to be purely cosmetic as I wasn't overly concerned since the seal between the collar and flue is made with 1300 degree silicon.

Then I noticed what looks like a crack in the collar itself. Now I wonder if I should be worried or just fill the crack with more of the silicon.

IMG_2835.jpg

Personally I would just work a bit of fire cement in the crack, most, probably all, stoves are not very air / smoke / gas tight. If the stove has a  clear chimney it will probably suck air in through any small cracks rather than puff gas out. That does not mean that holes are safe but fire cement is pretty good stuff. Others will probably disagree

Thanks all. The flue has been inexpertly cleaned out by dropping chain down, there's no evidence that anything is amiss and neither CO detector has gone off as yet. 

39 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Have you left enough gap for movement through your roof collar for heat expansion?

I hope the original installer did. All I've done is renewed the cement at the stove.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are going to die!

Usually its fire cement that cracks these collars.   Fill it with 1200 degree silicon, its flexible.

We're all going to die. Most of us would rather that was later rather than sooner. 

I'll fill it with silicon rather than fire cement, thank you.

:)

8 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are going to die!

Usually its fire cement that cracks these collars.   Fill it with 1200 degree silicon, its flexible.

I agree. Envirograf is one well known brand. In my experience fire cement will just fall out.

Edited by blackrose