Speed Awareness Signs for Cyclists

Heartland

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Local West Midlands Radio today broadcast that the CRT are putting up speed awareness signs for cyclists as the towpath has seen increased use by walkers during lockdown. For the many caring cyclists, such a sign is probably not needed, For the fewer number who do not care, signs are not enough, stronger control needs to be made.

I have long advocated speed bumps at busy areas of the towpath ...........

...... preferably angled towards the canal!!!  ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

lol, I do ride fast when nobody is around.. slowdown for children and dogs

the most annoying pedestrians are the ones walking in the middle of the road with headphone(cant hear you from behind) or walking in a phalanx, sometimes towards you but wont move. I tend to pedal faster and ride as close to the person near to me as possible without hitting, sometime swerving at last moment. :)

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Unimpressed 2
  • Angry 5

14 minutes ago, Chris John said:

That’s not giving cyclists a bad name at all is it. Maybe that’s why they behave like they do thanks to irresponsibility from the likes of you. 

just a bit of fun and nobody gets hurt.. if anything am the one taking risk coz I could end up in the canal..

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That is disgraceful behaviour. As a canal user you should be more sensible. Do it with me and I'd have you in.

why? you have as much time to move as me, you got two eyes, so do I.

17 minutes ago, Chris John said:

That’s not giving cyclists a bad name at all is it. Maybe that’s why they behave like they do thanks to irresponsibility from the likes of you. 

I hate other cyclists too.. totally inconsiderate... I on other hand.. :)

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Rebotco said:

No need to be angled. Once saw cyclist swerve to go round speed bump and his front wheel caught the edge of a mooring bollard and he went over his handlebars head first into the canal. Luckily I had just backed away from the swingbridge landing otherwise he would have headbutted 15 tonnes of boat rather than just getting wet!

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Others have advocated drawing pins, and seeing one of the posters above, I can see why.

not sure what you want me to do

1. aim my bike at the middle person: unfair

2. ring the bell: rude

3. slow right down and wait for parade to pass: pointless

Edited by restlessnomad
bike not bile, am not hateful

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

lol, I do ride fast when nobody is around.. slowdown for children and dogs

the most annoying pedestrians are the ones walking in the middle of the road with headphone(cant hear you from behind) or walking in a phalanx, sometimes towards you but wont move. I tend to pedal faster and ride as close to the person near to me as possible without hitting, sometime swerving at last moment. :)

Like almost every cyclist with headphones in and no bell. Quite a lot of us on the towpath are a bit deaf , why on earth should we spend our life straining to hear some idiot belting up from behind. And some of us might even move across the path at the last moment, not realising some kamikazi nutcase is playing stupid games. 

I did manage to, quite accidentally, force a cyclist yesterday through a large patch of nettles as I had no idea he was there till the pratt hurtled past me. He,too, wouldn't have heard my kindly advice due to his phones!

5 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

Show some consideration? And what's your bell for, then?

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Like almost every cyclist with headphones in and no bell. Quite a lot of us on the towpath are a bit deaf , why on earth should we spend our life straining to hear some idiot belting up from behind. And some of us might even move across the path at the last moment, not realising some kamikazi nutcase is playing stupid games. 

I did manage to, quite accidentally, force a cyclist yesterday through a large patch of nettles as I had no idea he was there till the pratt hurtled past me. He,too, wouldn't have heard my kindly advice due to his phones!

Show some consideration? And what's your bell for, then?

my bell is for situation when I am overtaking somebody(pedestrian or cyclist), not approaching face to face. The way I see, if I am approaching from behind, I am mostly responsible, if we are face to face, you have as much responsibility to move as me. Its rude to ring a bell to an approaching person as it means 'you are either inconsiderate idiot or blind,'

also some older folks jump out of my way if I misjudge the distance and ring it too close(when approaching from behind) so it has to be used considerately(not too close to the person)

I dont wear headphone.. so it must be somebody else.. :)

Edited by restlessnomad

25 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I think it may be an advantage for you to read C&RTs policy and accept when they say that pedestrians have priority over cyclists.

Other wise you may find that this applies to you :

From NBW

THE case where a cyclist has been found guilty of causing bodily harm by 'wanton or furious driving' yesterday, has raised further questions about pedestrian safety and the responsibility of cyclists in public places, writes Keith Gudgin.

Mrs Briggs' family said they plan to campaign for tougher cycling laws to protect pedestrians. He said: "Out of this senseless carnage, I shall try to bring change to the law and change to attitudes. Perhaps in this way I can honour my wife."

Cycling furiously along the towpath

Cyclists need to remember this law whilst they are cycling furiously along the towpath. If they injure a pedestrian by 'wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct' with the result of causing 'any bodily harm to any person whatsoever' could mean they end up in prison for up to two years or having to fork out a hefty fine or both.

As can be seen, they would not need to kill anyone to be prosecuted, any bodily harm to any person whatsoever is sufficient for a prosecution and the law does not state that they have to be on a public road or footpath either so towpaths and private property are also covered.

Provide evidence

We boaters, as towpath users, need to be aware of this law and take measures to provide the police and other authorities with the evidence of cyclists who persist in riding in a wanton or furious manner or racing along the towpaths in order to get them stopped and/or prosecuted. Remember, speed trials are a form of racing and therefore fall within the remit of this law.

Also, I feel CaRT and local councils need to become aware that they could also, by not attempting to prevent furious riding or racing in any form by cyclists, become liable for a failure in their duty of care responsibilities.

CaRT could end up with a fine

If CaRT and local councils continue to upgrade all the towpaths to knowingly allow cyclists to race or ride furiously without including any other restrictions, i.e. speed humps, gates or even just a blanket speed limit to restrict cyclists then I feel that before long they could end up with a very hefty fine and a court order to implement measures of prevention.

Remember, aiding and abetting an offence is treated by the courts in just the same manner as actually committing the offence under British law.

Cyclists only one user of the towpaths

We pedestrians have the law on our side, we must put a stop to irresponsible and ignorant cyclists who insist that they have the right of way over everybody and anybody on any road, path, track or byway. Cyclists need to be made aware that they are only one user of the byways and that they are required to give way to others. On towpaths, the rules actually state that cyclists should give way to pedestrians.

Why do cyclists assume that all pedestrians are going to jump out of their way. Why should pedestrians have to step off the path into the mud and puddles just to let a speeding cyclist go past without even slowing down. What happens if the pedestrian is deaf and cannot hear the cyclist approaching from behind?

Not even need come in contact

This law, as it is, does not even need the cyclist to come in contact with the pedestrian for an offence to be committed as it states '...do or cause to be done any bodily harm...'.

It appears from this that a cyclist could be liable if, by their action, they just make a pedestrian fall over and injure themselves. Therefore any action by a cyclist that causes bodily harm in any way could constitute an offence under this law.

Not above the law

Cyclist need to be shown that they are not above the law and that other people, other byway users, also have rights and even have a right of way over cyclists in many cases.

One thing that needs urgent attention is the identification of cyclists to prevent them from just getting up and riding off after an accident without leaving any trace of who they are. Registration of all adult cyclists and a registration plate fixed to their bike is an urgent and long overdue legal need.

The law under which the cyclist was charged...

'Offences Against the Person Act 1861'. This law is the closest to dangerous driving a cyclist can be charged with, and states

35} Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving.
Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think it may be advanatges for you to read C&RTs policy and accept when they say that pedestrians have priority over cyclists.

Other wise you may find that this applies to you :

From NBW

THE case where a cyclist has been found guilty of causing bodily harm by 'wanton or furious driving' yesterday, has raised further questions about pedestrian safety and the responsibility of cyclists in public places, writes Keith Gudgin.

Mrs Briggs' family said they plan to campaign for tougher cycling laws to protect pedestrians. He said: "Out of this senseless carnage, I shall try to bring change to the law and change to attitudes. Perhaps in this way I can honour my wife."

Cycling furiously along the towpath

Cyclists need to remember this law whilst they are cycling furiously along the towpath. If they injure a pedestrian by 'wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct' with the result of causing 'any bodily harm to any person whatsoever' could mean they end up in prison for up to two years or having to fork out a hefty fine or both.

As can be seen, they would not need to kill anyone to be prosecuted, any bodily harm to any person whatsoever is sufficient for a prosecution and the law does not state that they have to be on a public road or footpath either so towpaths and private property are also covered.

Provide evidence

We boaters, as towpath users, need to be aware of this law and take measures to provide the police and other authorities with the evidence of cyclists who persist in riding in a wanton or furious manner or racing along the towpaths in order to get them stopped and/or prosecuted. Remember, speed trials are a form of racing and therefore fall within the remit of this law.

Also, I feel CaRT and local councils need to become aware that they could also, by not attempting to prevent furious riding or racing in any form by cyclists, become liable for a failure in their duty of care responsibilities.

CaRT could end up with a fine

If CaRT and local councils continue to upgrade all the towpaths to knowingly allow cyclists to race or ride furiously without including any other restrictions, i.e. speed humps, gates or even just a blanket speed limit to restrict cyclists then I feel that before long they could end up with a very hefty fine and a court order to implement measures of prevention.

Remember, aiding and abetting an offence is treated by the courts in just the same manner as actually committing the offence under British law.

Cyclists only one user of the towpaths

We pedestrians have the law on our side, we must put a stop to irresponsible and ignorant cyclists who insist that they have the right of way over everybody and anybody on any road, path, track or byway. Cyclists need to be made aware that they are only one user of the byways and that they are required to give way to others. On towpaths, the rules actually state that cyclists should give way to pedestrians.

Why do cyclists assume that all pedestrians are going to jump out of their way. Why should pedestrians have to step off the path into the mud and puddles just to let a speeding cyclist go past without even slowing down. What happens if the pedestrian is deaf and cannot hear the cyclist approaching from behind?

Not even need come in contact

This law, as it is, does not even need the cyclist to come in contact with the pedestrian for an offence to be committed as it states '...do or cause to be done any bodily harm...'.

It appears from this that a cyclist could be liable if, by their action, they just make a pedestrian fall over and injure themselves. Therefore any action by a cyclist that causes bodily harm in any way could constitute an offence under this law.

Not above the law

Cyclist need to be shown that they are not above the law and that other people, other byway users, also have rights and even have a right of way over cyclists in many cases.

One thing that needs urgent attention is the identification of cyclists to prevent them from just getting up and riding off after an accident without leaving any trace of who they are. Registration of all adult cyclists and a registration plate fixed to their bike is an urgent and long overdue legal need.

The law under which the cyclist was charged...

'Offences Against the Person Act 1861'. This law is the closest to dangerous driving a cyclist can be charged with, and states

35} Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving.
Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years.

TIL, wont do it then... promise :)

btw, I dont/cant ride 'furiously', most bikers overtake me... 

Edited by restlessnomad

Both 2 and 3, unless you want to confirm what others have said about you above. Your bell is for the same purpose as a car horn (or a boat horn, for that matter) -- to tell other users you are there.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes, and even on the road, IIRC, pedestrians use the highway as of right, but cyclists and motorist are only "permitted to use" it.

Its rude to ring a bell to an approaching person as it means 'you are either inconsiderate idiot or blind,'

also some older folks jump out of my way if I misjudge the distance and ring it too close(when approaching from behind) so it has to be used considerately(not too close to the person)

Does it occur to you that a person walking may be deaf?

• Greenie 3

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Both 2 and 3, unless you want to confirm what others have said about you above. Your bell is for the same purpose as a car horn (or a boat horn, for that matter) -- to tell other users you are there.

Yes, and even on the road, IIRC, pedestrians use the highway as of right, but cyclists and motorist are only "permitted to use" it.

Does it occur to you that a person walking may be deaf?

? ?

now that it is proved that I am in the wrong(and I agree), but why do people walk side by side blocking the whole towpath? What do they do when they encounter another group from other side, do they hug or kiss?

btw I did try to be a naughty in the above post(knowing very well the response on this forum), if you actually see me riding you will think am the model cyclist... :)

Edited by restlessnomad

4 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

very enlightening, who has the right of way when two pedestrian groups come face to face. 

4 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

very enlightening, who has the right of way when two pedestrian groups come face to face. 

Obviously the Audi or wange wover owners will plough straight into the other pedestrians in an entitled oblivious fashion. That is if they actually can walk which is highly unlikely as why walk when you can look important  ( in your own head) owning your lump of depreciating junk.

I'm out on the towpath on my bike most days as exercise, I can't walk a long way any more due to Achilles tendonitis. If the towpath is empty I zoom along. If I'm coming up to people I slow down, and if they haven't seen me I ring my bell so they know I'm coming -- but I do this early enough that they can (if necessary) step aside without panicking, especially if there are several of them or children. If they don't show any sign of noticing me -- might be deaf, might have headphones on, might be mentally on another planet -- I slow right down and say "Excuse me". And if they do have to move aside, I say "Thank you" as I pass them, and smile if they're facing me. Quite often they say "You're welcome" and/or smile back.

So far this hasn't caused me to extend my journey time, shout at anybody, fall into the canal or knock somebody else in, or indeed cause any hassle whatsoever. The only issues I've had are with other cyclists coming round blind bends or under blind bridges too fast, without looking or slowing down, where in one case he almost went into the canal -- and yes I'd slowed down and rung my bell.

Funnily enough this is all very similar to what happens on a narrowboat at bends and blind bridges, where some boaters carry on full steam ahead regardless of the fact there might just be somebody coming the other way...

Is cycling/boating like a numpty the new normal? ?

• Greenie 2