Fitting remote greaser to stern gland

Featured Posts

Hi

Just bought a boat abs it currently doesn’t have the tap-tightening type external greaser tube attached to the stern gland. Instead they have been manually “greasing the nipple” ?

is it easy to fit one myself? Looks like just mounting the tube and attaching the pipe to the nipple?

6 minutes ago, Katie said:

Photo attached. Survey has suggesting fitting one and I’d personally prefer it. 

looking at getting this kit and fitting myself if easy enough?
https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/stern-tube-quick-release-brass-greaser-kit/p8705?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh-ysv7v98AIVhAwGAB00qwW-EAQYASABEgK71PD_BwE

E4D66A4F-A41A-47F4-AB45-C9AC6F9C515F.jpeg

I assume your engine is solid mounted and not on rubber mounts.

That looks like a well built hull, who was the builder please?

Make sure that you can get a union to replace the nipple, most are 1/8" BSP thread but it may be even smaller. Can't see through the grease!

Then you have to learn how to fill the greaser without getting any on your hands, its a good party trick.

Thanks! It’s a Gary Gorton boat. She’s a beaut! I’m just completing the sale on it now and I’m nee to boat life but keen to get my hands dirty where I can. 

Ok...not sure what a Union is but I shall research. Yes been watching plenty videos on how to pack the grease, unfortunately no videos on how to fit the greaser tube in the first place though. 

Edited by Katie

4 minutes ago, Katie said:

Thanks! It’s a Gary Gordon boat.

Gary Gordon, or Gary Gorton?

I only ask because ours is a Gary "Gorton", and the surveyor commented that he was a good builder, and he could tell it was a Gary Gorton from the heart shaped holes at the top of the rudder, as well as the gas locker outlets at the bow.

Yes sorry that was a typo. It’s Gary Gorton. Ah good to know it’s a decent build then! Yes I like the heart on the rudder. My gas locker is at the stern now though but guessing that was a later change. 

38 minutes ago, Katie said:

Ok...not sure what a Union is but I shall research. Yes been watching plenty videos on how to pack the grease, unfortunately no videos on how to fit the greaser tube in the first place though.

In this case a union is a piece that screws into the thread where the grease nipple was and on the other end is a means of attaching the nylon tube. Probably a special nut and a brass or copper band called an olive.

Everyone has their own way of filling the greaser tube but as long as the grease tin has a metal or plastic disk in it on top of the grease I undid the tube from its base, held the tube down on the hole in the disk, and then while maintaining downward pressure unscrewed the "handle",

Great thank for the description really helpful and seems like the kit I’m looking at has all that, I will just double check sizes like you suggest. 

yeah I’m sure my first attempt I’ll get fairly mucky haha but I’ll have it down in no time! Thanks again :) 

8 minutes ago, Katie said:

Great thank for the description really helpful and seems like the kit I’m looking at has all that, I will just double check sizes like you suggest. 

yeah I’m sure my first attempt I’ll get fairly mucky haha but I’ll have it down in no time! Thanks again :) 

Its the ones that try to use a wooden spoon or pallet knife to ladle it into the tube with the plunger still in place that get mucky.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Its the ones that try to use a wooden spoon or pallet knife to ladle it into the tube with the plunger still in place that get mucky.

I used to use Ramonol, which had an insert on top of the grease such that you could invert the tub over the grease holder, press down, and the grease would be squeezed into the holder and nowhere else.

the above makes sense when you can see the tub and holder together :) 

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I used to use Ramonol, which had an insert on top of the grease such that you could invert the tub over the grease holder, press down, and the grease would be squeezed into the holder and nowhere else.

the above makes sense when you can see the tub and holder together :) 

Correction: Invert the grease holder over the grease tub, and press down. The grease is forced up into the holder.