Craftinsure are good!

Rebotco

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Rebotco said:

After 10 years paying reasonable premiums for comprehensive boat insurance cover, I can at last genuinely recommend Craftinsure from personal experience.

I have always responded to the regular questions here about "Who is a good insurer?" by saying Craftinsure seem good, but only a claim will confirm if that is the case.

Well, I've now had my very first claim, and they have indeed paid out!

With all the Covid lockdowns from Nov last year, I was unable to visit my boat for almost 6 months.

When I finally could visit in April, I found my engine hole about 2 ft deep in water (Its a cruiser stern) despite having 2 auto bilge pumps and 2 x 110Ahr batteries and 100 W of solar.

It would appear that with all the rain we had last winter the pumps had been running so long and frequently, they completely emptied my batteries and consequently stopped working. altogether.

Further rain eventually drowned half the engine, submerged the starter motor, alternator, wiring, fuel pump, batteries  etc etc.

It was not obvious that anything was amiss from outside  - until I lifted the deckboards and saw the damage directly, and so no one at my moorings had any reason to raise the alarm.  Everything was as dead as a Dodo.  Another couple of weeks and it could easily have sunk.

The estimates for repair were well in excess of £6K and Craftinsure sent their surveyor to inspect and report back to them.

They made a couple of minor deductions for "betterment" , my excess etc, but have paid out the vast bulk of my claim.

I have to say they have been very fair throughout and all done online.

So I am more than happy to confidently recommend Craftinsure as a good insurer that honours its obligations in my experience.

I will not consider changing my insurer for the rest of my boating days as a consequence - even if my premium goes up a bit at renewal.

That's assuming they'll have me, of course!!!

I feel vindicated, have recommended them for years, never claimed, glad I was right. Sorry to hear of your damage, hope all is good from now on.

It did rain a bit over winter!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

9 hours ago, Rebotco said:

When I finally could visit in April, I found my engine hole about 2 ft deep in water

9 hours ago, Rebotco said:

It was not obvious that anything was amiss from outside  - until I lifted the deckboards and saw the damage directly, and so no one at my moorings had any reason to raise the alarm.

I would have thought that with that much water in the boat it would have been obvious from the outside that the boat was sitting rather deeper in the water than normal.

Anyway, glad to hear the insurers have got it sorted.

Edited by David Mack

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

I would have thought that with that much water in the boat it would have been obvious from the outside that the boat was sitting rather deeper in the water than normal.

Anyway, glad to hear the insurers have got it sorted.

Yes, that does surprise me a little.

But it does vary quite a lot normally according to the amount of fuel at the back end and water at the front.

And the pumpout tank.

Craftinsure are great . My rudder was broke off by a submerged object on the Soar . I did not even think of insurance and purchased a  new one for £800 , when it was being fitted the bloke mentioned insurance. 

I sent them a picture of the broken rudder and a picture of the new one with receipt and a pic of it being fitted.

They paid out without question.

• Greenie 2

I changed my insurer this year and did look at Craftinsure, much more straight forward underwriting process and policy than any of the others and reasonable price but in the end did not go with them as I thought there were one or two catches in that wording.

i.e. in the amount payable

We will pay the reasonable cost of repair for loss or damage not exceeding £xxx Reasonable replacement or repair may not result in the appearance and condition being the same as that prior to the claim. In the event of total loss or constructive total loss, we will pay £xxx or at our option, provide a replacement boat of a similar age, size and type.

and the exclusions whilst similar to others go a little bit further than most;

• Loss or damage due to wear and tear, depreciation, gradual deterioration, or mildew.
  • Theft from the interior of Boat Name or place of storage ashore unless following forcible and violent entry, or theft of gear and equipment from the exterior of the boat unless violence and force are used.
  • Loss or damage resulting from electrolysis, osmosis or similar conditions.
  • Loss or damage due to escape of water from boilers, calorifiers and any other fixed water installation or appliances unless installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations, and unless heating and hot water systems are drained if the boat is to be left unattended for periods in excess of 30 days.