Eberspacher heating- fan heaters or radiators?

Andy Br

Featured Posts

Hello All,

I have just bought a 60' narrowboat fitted with an eberspacher unit (d4 or 5). It currently supplies the calorifier, bathroom towel radiator and two electric fan heaters. 

Unfortunately during its transport the pipes to a fan heater fractured (I think they had been kinked to breaking point previously) and the system is now drained down.

I have no experience of using fan heaters and before I go and buy a replacement I just wondered whether to replace it with a radiator. Anybody any experience of both so as to make a comparison?

FYI there is a solid fuel stove also.

Thanks,  Andy

11 minutes ago, Andy Br said:

I have just bought a 60' narrowboat fitted with an eberspacher unit (d4 or 5). It currently supplies the calorifier, bathroom towel radiator and two electric fan heaters. 

I'm not quite following this, normally an eber is either a water heater, OR, a blown air heater, I'm not au-fait with a water heater that works with 'two electric fan heaters'.

I did look at using a water heater eber to include a heat exchanger that, whilst the water heater fed the radiators, the heat exchanger had an electric fan blowing the hot air into trunking so became a 'blow air system'.

The 'eber' water heaters are called 'Hydronic'.

Is what you are taking about some thing similar ?

Now, the D5 is an 'Airtronic' which is only a blown air system, so I don't understand how this is heating the calorifier and a towel rail.

If it is a hot-air system there is no water, and it cannot be 'drained down'.

Can you explain / confirm what Eber you actually have, and what it is doing ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

These things! 

IMG_20210603_1959165.jpg

IMG_20210603_1959235.jpg

20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unless you are always on an umbilical cord or have a decent quiet generator I would avoid any unnecessary use of electricity so I would use ordinary radiators rather than blown skirting heaters.

Yes that makes sense.

27 minutes ago, Tonka said:

D5w is a water heater 

Agreed, but a D4 or D5 (as the OP stated) is a blown air heater.

I have a D8 fitted in my boat and is a blown air heater.

12 minutes ago, Andy Br said:

These things! 

IMG_20210603_1959165.jpg

IMG_20210603_1959235.jpg

Yes that makes sense.

Yes that is similar to the system I was planning using both Blown air and water heating.

They are extremenly large users of electricity which is why I decide not to use it

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed, but a D4 or D5 (as the OP stated) is a blown air heater.

I have a D8 fitted in my boat and is a blown air heater.

Yes that is similar to the system I was planning using both Blown air and water heating.

They are extremenly large users of electricity which is why I decide not to use it

I didn't look at the wattage of the fans, but as mentioned earlier it is an extra electric user that is not really required. 

Looks like I will replace them with radiators. I think the eberspacher will be happier heating a larger, more stable, volume of water as well, I don't think it will cycle on and off so much. Of course I imagine they will make a noise as well. Might just power one up for curiosity. 

Thanks for the advice all.

7 minutes ago, Andy Br said:

I didn't look at the wattage of the fans, but as mentioned earlier it is an extra electric user that is not really required. 

Looks like I will replace them with radiators. I think the eberspacher will be happier heating a larger, more stable, volume of water as well, I don't think it will cycle on and off so much. Of course I imagine they will make a noise as well. Might just power one up for curiosity. 

Thanks for the advice all.

The ones I looked at were about 7 or 8 watts (0.6 amps each) which is obviously to be added onto the consumption of the eber itself

Found them - These were the type I was looking at (but these are 24v, also available in 12v)

Webasto or Eberspacher water 1.7kw Heat Exchanger matrix 24v (butlertechnik.com)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The ones I looked at were about 7 or 8 watts (0.6 amps each) which is obviously to be added onto the consumption of the eber itself

Found them - These were the type I was looking at (but these are 24v, also available in 12v)

Webasto or Eberspacher water 1.7kw Heat Exchanger matrix 24v (butlertechnik.com)

A hundred quid!! ?

I think I will go with the normal radiators!

Thanks for that.

I fitted a system like that two years back. 

I feed the Eber into calorifier then two radiators in the hall  (all 22mm copper pipe) but don't have room for a radiator in the lounge area so fitted one of those water fed blow heaters ( your photo) under the seat and it works well. The fan part draws less than an amp at 12volt as I fused it with a one amp fuse.

I fitted a small radiator in the bathroom under the towel rail ... but also a second blow fan.

It heats it up a treat.

Really works well...much better than just a radiator as it throws the heat outwards.