Overhanging bushes opposite long term moorings : Great mysteries of the world part 103

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

I had a pair of prescription sunglasses worth well over £100 flicked off into the cut by an overhanging bush on the Lancaster last year. VERY UPSETTING......

You can't blame CRT for your failure to look after your possessions. As my old man would have said, "it's your own daft fault".

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You can't blame CRT for your failure to look after your possessions. As my old man would have said, "it's your own daft fault".

Wrong, in todays society everything is somebody elses fault, who takes responsibility for their own actions ?

• Greenie 2

Going back to the OP's comment, I'm part of an offside vegetation cutting team of CRT volunteers carrying out the work every winter between October & early March. When we reach a section where there are continuous moorers we often get 'told off' by some when we begin to cut back the overhanging trees opposite. CRT have told us not to argue with them and so long as there is room for at least one boat to pass by then just leave them, and they don't affect the sightline of oncoming boats too much. 

I've never found out why they they object. Perhaps as somebody said, they like it because it makes boaters slow down. Maybe it's because they don't want the noise from the chipper or our boat's engine for hours on end (it can be painfully slow progress). Maybe they are afraid that falling branches will damage their boats or perhaps they like the shade it offers.

7 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Going back to the OP's comment, I'm part of an offside vegetation cutting team of CRT volunteers carrying out the work every winter between October & early March. When we reach a section where there are continuous moorers we often get 'told off' by some when we begin to cut back the overhanging trees opposite. CRT have told us not to argue with them and so long as there is room for at least one boat to pass by then just leave them, and they don't affect the sightline of oncoming boats too much. 

I've never found out why they they object. Perhaps as somebody said, they like it because it makes boaters slow down. Maybe it's because they don't want the noise from the chipper or our boat's engine for hours on end (it can be painfully slow progress). Maybe they are afraid that falling branches will damage their boats or perhaps they like the shade it offers.

"Hello, we've come to give our time and labour free of charge to improve your environment".

"Bugger off".

There's nowt so queer as folk.

6 hours ago, Grassman said:

where there are continuous moorers we often get 'told off' by some when we begin to cut back the overhanging trees opposite

So if you're in paid employment and you're "Told Off" by someone other than your employer or supervisor, what do you do or say then?

Well do the same now.

6 hours ago, Grassman said:

It seems to me that while CaRT may think they are trying to protect you from verbal and maybe actual abuse and violence they are in fact taking the easy way out. Whilst it is clear that it is not our place t argue with the moorers you must have a local paid supervisory CaRT employee and it if the vegetation needs cutting back then his job is to ensure its done, including taking on those moorers in whatever way is appropriate. Maybe notice of refusal to renew their licence would be one way.

there is too much of taking the easy option nowadays (not you - CaRT in this case).

• Greenie 3

12 hours ago, Grassman said:

Probably they put notices out for the grass cutting men as well.

23 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Where did I say I was blaming the CRT ? Though, now you come to mention it, it must be at least partially their fault.

I accept that they are short of money, but trimming back most vegetation is really quite a quick job compared to rebuilding a lock (not that they do many of those on the Oxford.....). The great majority of overhanging bushes and trees could be removed with some secateurs and some branch loppers with possibly a hand saw for the worst examples. There really aren't that many that require more than that and any that do could be logged (oh dear....). I reckon one bloke with one boat could do getting on for a mile day, maybe not back to very edge of the canal but far enough to make a big difference.

Edited by Justin Smith

On 06/06/2021 at 21:39, Justin Smith said:

Where did I say I was blaming the CRT ? Though, now you come to mention it, it must be at least partially their fault.

I accept that they are short of money, but trimming back most vegetation is really quite a quick job compared to rebuilding a lock (not that they do many of those on the Oxford.....). The great majority of overhanging bushes and trees could be removed with some secateurs and some branch loppers with possibly a hand saw for the worst examples. There really aren't that many that require more than that and any that do could be logged (oh dear....). I reckon one bloke with one boat could do getting on for a mile day, maybe not back to very edge of the canal but far enough to make a big difference.

A mile a day? You must be joking. Besides which, trimming back with secateurs would be so insignificant it would be pointless. We aren't allowed to use chainsaws as it's deemed to be too dangerous working from a boat (contractors use them though), but we are trained to use long reach pole chain-pruners which can deal with branches/trunks up to about 10 inches. and we cut back as far as we can. Sometimes we are restricted by shallow water not enabling us to get in far enough.

Rate of progress much depends on what the vegetation consists off. It it's blackthorn, dog rose, or brambles it can take a day to deal with just 100 yards and sometimes we have to make a decision to leave it unless it's really impeding navigation because of the need to finish a certain stretch before the nesting season begins. 

• Greenie 2

On 06/06/2021 at 15:19, Tony Brooks said:

It seems to me that while CaRT may think they are trying to protect you from verbal and maybe actual abuse and violence they are in fact taking the easy way out. Whilst it is clear that it is not our place t argue with the moorers you must have a local paid supervisory CaRT employee and it if the vegetation needs cutting back then his job is to ensure its done, including taking on those moorers in whatever way is appropriate. Maybe notice of refusal to renew their licence would be one way.

there is too much of taking the easy option nowadays (not you - CaRT in this case).

I agree, CRT are indeed too sensitive about us being in conflict with their customers. However, if the OV is really bad, especially if it's on a bend or narrow section then we do stand our ground and insist on doing it, but this often means we might not do it as thoroughly as we'd want to.

BTW, we rarely have a local paid CRT supervisor with us providing one of the party is trained as a Lead Volunteer.

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, Grassman said:

A mile a day? You must be joking. Besides which, trimming back with secateurs would be so insignificant it would be pointless. We aren't allowed to use chainsaws as it's deemed to be too dangerous working from a boat (contractors use them though), but we are trained to use long reach pole chain-pruners which can deal with branches/trunks up to about 10 inches. and we cut back as far as we can. Sometimes we are restricted by shallow water not enabling us to get in far enough.

Rate of progress much depends on what the vegetation consists off. It it's blackthorn, dog rose, or brambles it can take a day to deal with just 100 yards and sometimes we have to make a decision to leave it unless it's really impeding navigation because of the need to finish a certain stretch before the nesting season begins. 

It's fairly obvious JS has never done the work or similar,  as you have pointed out the type and quantity of Veg will control how much can be achieved in a day, throw in working from a boat and a mile a day sounds a bit pie in the sky.

Anyway thank you for the work

• Greenie 1