Water Heater and houdini hatch

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm new in here an also in the boat world.

I've recently bought a wide beam with my partner and now is time to build it inside. I have a couple of questions and perhaps you guys can help me.

1: I'd like to install a hatch but before to do so I'd like to know if I need permission and then it will be ok for the BSS and all this paperwork.

2: I don't like how calorifier works and I'd like to install a water heater boiler LPG room sealed from Forcali o Morco I think I they really good and safe but I don't know if the regulation allows to install it. somebody know if I can do it or if there are better options? 

Thank you so much for your help

Cheers :)

Missing vital info - liveaboard or holiday boat. If liveaboard then it may well be subject to the Gassafe regulations as well as the BSS and if so you can't install the gas stuff unless Gassafe registered and endorsed LPG and  marine.

I don't think the hatch will be a problem BSS wise but there is a chance it may be in respect of the recreational Craft regulations (Brexit RCD).

1) large job just need partner's permision but you will have to avoid cutting through structural beams under deck and may need to fabricate a suitable upstand so the flat houdini hatch can go on the curved roof, why do you think you need one. Kedian of ths forum can advise further.

2) calorifier is best option thats why most boats have them changing will be expensive and if you have no knowledge of work with gas or live on board must be done profesionaly

Good moaning folks.  If everyon had a gas instantaneous water heater as well as a calorifier or whatever the very annoying engine running while moored up to heat a calorifier would be reduced by a large amount. :unsure:

There is usually a 500mm distance needed from the external flue top exhaust, to any likely source of ventilation into the boat. Having a room-sealed water heater will help, in that, it will not necessitate an exhaust/air flow test from inside the boat. A problem that is forcing me to consider an alternative to my now disconnected Paloma. 

You need professional help, to determine if the gas pipe feed is of the correct size, to supply the volume of gas the room-sealed unit needs. I understand with the Morco system, the pipe I use for the Paloma is too narrow. 

Edited by Higgs

Hi guys thanks for sharing your thoughts!

We'll use the boat as a residencial for London canals. 

that the one I'd like to be install by a professional certificad in the legislation allows it but I don't know how to know it. 

https://www.forcali.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6264995-Forcali-12-L-Room-Sealed-LPG-Water-Heater.html

The hatch is more for ventilation but I didn't considere to build a suitable up-stand because is flat. more work to do. 

2 minutes ago, rutxi said:

Hi guys thanks for sharing your thoughts!

We'll use the boat as a residencial for London canals. 

that the one I'd like to be install by a professional certificad in the legislation allows it but I don't know how to know it. 

https://www.forcali.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6264995-Forcali-12-L-Room-Sealed-LPG-Water-Heater.html

The hatch is more for ventilation but I didn't considere to build a suitable up-stand because is flat. more work to do. 

You need to get hold of the standards its been tested to and complies with, then look up the RCR (RCD) ISOs and make sure they match. I note your link gives no such information or even if it is CE marked for EU marine use. Not sure what the UK equivalent is since Brexit. However, many would simply ignore the standards and fit what they want to.

Remember it seems all newly  built or significantly modified craft are supposed to comply with the RCR and have the paperwork to prove it.

If it is for residential then you must employ a 'Gas safe' registered gas fitter. If you do a google search for 'gas safe register' then it will come up with a list and you can choose one from your area.

Just like a driving licence has different categories of vehicles that you can drive (Car, motorcycle, truck etc) the Gas safe engineers have to be qualified on each type of installation with different qualifications for House, caravans, boats etc. The register will show which each is qualified to do, and when he comes to your boat he should show you his ID card which lists all types of installations he is allowed to do.

Your engineer MUST be qualified for "LPG - Boats"

Have you managed to find a mooring in London  ?

If fitting a hatch, consider that you will get condensation on the underside which will drip off. The only sane place for a roof hatch like a Houdini is directly over the shower tray or bath.

In the saloon you may get away with wiping the water off regularly in winter and a solid fuel fire nearby will help but you certainly will get condensation when it rains and cools the glass and especially the aluminium frames which have no thermal break.

The water heater has a horizontal flue outlet. Where is that going to exit the shell? If on the front/back bulkhead it cannot be under a canopy or cratch cover. If on the cabin side what flue terminal are you going to use on the sloping cabin side, and how will you protect anyone walking along the gunwale from contact with hot terminal parts?

Edited by David Mack

56 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The water heater has a horizontal flue outlet. Where is that going to exit the shell? If on the front/back bulkhead it cannot be under a canopy or cratch cover. If on the cabin side what flue terminal are you going to use on the sloping cabin side, and how will you protect anyone walking along the gunwale from contact with hot terminal parts?

With the tumblehome on the cabin side, rain water will be funnelled into the boat! You need to rethink along the lines of why boats have used the same equipment for many decades.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

With the tumblehome on the cabin side, rain water will be funnelled into the boat! You need to rethink along the lines of why boats have used the same equipment for many decades.

You are assuming that it has some tumblehome, lots of builders seem to have stopped adding any and build boxes 

2 minutes ago, rutxi said:

Thanks for your help guys!

I have clear now that maybe I won't instal the hatch and I'll look for a LPG gas certificate to see what they say about the water boiler

Have a great week!!!

An LPG gas safe certificate in itself will not tell you anything  about the heater but a Gassafe engineer who hold endorsements on his standard certificate for LPG and marine gas work should be able to tell you if they are allowed to install it or if they come across one in a live-aboard boat they have to disconnect it and condemn it as unsafe (contrary to regulations).

• 2 weeks later...