why does my toaster not like my 6kw Mastervolt genny?

jenevers

Featured Posts

Odd things happen with generators.

I have a friend who has a 5kva generator, it would not run his Bosch  hand circular saw at 1200W.  It worked on the mains OK.

Bosch sent him a replacement saw, that one works! Same model!

Any reason for this strange behaviour?

Edited by Tracy D'arth

27 minutes ago, jenevers said:

No definitely 230v. I know washing machinesvcan be awkward, but...a toaster?!

Modern toasters have IC’s in them to control them..gone are the days of a simple bi metallic strip. I’m guessing the voltage and/or waveform of the genny is pretty dire…does it have a proper AVR or just a capacitor or two? You could try putting a decent load on the genny say an immersion and try the toaster then. That might settle it down 

Unless you're a gadget freak both a kettle and toaster should be a dumb, unreactive purely resistive load. First component in a microwave is a powerful transformer with a heavy inrush current. I think this is a power problem rather than waveform. What WILL the Genny run?

40 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Unless you're a gadget freak both a kettle and toaster should be a dumb, unreactive purely resistive load. First component in a microwave is a powerful transformer with a heavy inrush current. I think this is a power problem rather than waveform. What WILL the Genny run?

I agree they should be….but they aren’t! Even my mothers cheap Russel Hobbs toaster has a control circuit…I guess they are now cheaper than a rheostat and a solenoid is cheaper than a bimetallic strip. It’s a mad world. 

edited to add…

some microwaves now have inverters rather than transformers. They may be more fussy about the quality of power…I guess they could also be more tolerant too but I bet it’s all down to cost again 

Edited by frangar

8 hours ago, Keith M said:

When were the capacitors last checked?

In the genny?   5 years ago.

10 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Halogen hob no problem.

I have noticed that the genny seldom goes above 25% output. If I switch another appliance on, rather than go up to 50%, the other appliances “slow down”.

On 02/06/2021 at 23:47, Keith M said:

The capacitors are classed as a service item normally being replaced every 2 to 3 years they are of the voltage control system..

No idea but it sounds like it's worth replacing them to see what happens