Are Liverpool boats really the best narrowboats you can get?

OTL

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

no offence but do you and alan have some personal beef? There seems to be some underlying tension(non sexual am sure) between you two.

He has the 'hump' taking my criticism of livepool boats as a personal criticism of his choice.

He has made a number of posts stating I have no knowledge of narrowboating or steel boats without being aware of my (almost) 40 years of ownership of said boats. He has gone quiet on that subject now.

Example :

I don't care what he thinks of me, he isn't doing me any harm so I don't reply in the same manner. Just ignoring and let life go on.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

When I was very young  a friend of the family worked at the Fry's factory at Keynsham, we always looked forward to his visits when he would bring loads of reject chocolate bars, does anyone remember Fry's Five Boys chocolate?

No but......

I remember that Horace Batchelor.

I think he came from Keynsham.

(That's K-E-Y-N- ...... OK you know the rest if you are as old as me!)

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Bless you for bothering! I was joking really, but thanks very much.

I phone her most days - she has dementia so every time we speak I have to remind her we are away on the boat. Her long term memory is fantastic though and I think she was pleased to be able to answer a question. ?

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You don't recall the story a few years ago where a big meat supplier was filmed unpacking rejected Lidl chicken portions and repackaging them in Tesco packs with a longer use by date?

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/food/1445315/food-recall-tesco-uk-health-allergy-latest-news-full-list

On 01/06/2021 at 19:54, Tracy D'arth said:

Once you have bought a L/pool or Collingwood you will never buy another.

We had a Liverpool Hull, loved her. I was keen to buy a Liverpool after using a boat belonging to a friend which was a Liverpool boat.

You might not want one, maybe you're rich enough to be picky, but I found them excellent and would happily own another.

Please don't presume to speak for me, we have never met and obviously don't share the same opinions.

Why has the thread suddenly become about chickens?

Edited by manxmike
boats vs chickens?
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, manxmike said:

We had a Liverpool Hull, loved her. I was keen to buy a Liverpool after using a boat belonging to a friend which was a Liverpool boat.

You might not want one, maybe you're rich enough to be picky, but I found them excellent and would happily own another.

Please don't presume to speak for me, we have never met and obviously don't share the same opinions.

Why has the thread suddenly become about chickens?

I don't know but the majority view is that you are OFF-TOPIC  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Just now, Murflynn said:

Oh, of course, I was speaking about Liverpool boats and the thread has changed despite the title

9 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Oh, of course, I was speaking about Liverpool boats and the thread has changed despite the title

That makes sense, so, in the spirit of conforming to the majority view, I find the constant parade of Australian "soaps" offensive.

There you go, nothing to do with Liverpool boats or chickens!

Clearly more members have worked in chicken factories than owned Liverpool boats. I spent summer of 75 and 76 in a chicken processing plant. I put half a million bags of giblets back in the chickens in 75, one every four seconds and cut up birds for portions and Kentucky Fried the second year. £1 a week extra for that because using the circular saw was dangerous. The woman who was supposedly training me cut the tip of her finger off on my first morning

Birds usually lost limbs in the washing baths in which case they were candidates for portions. I never saw any birds get repackaged  but I do remember that any cut you got inevitably went septic. We had to process 48,000 birds a day because that's how many there were in each shed. 

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, alias said:

I was an occasional member of a team working under contract for a large company in their London office for two years about 25 years ago. Anyone with an ID badge could get a free lunch (from sandwiches up to a three course meal) in the staff canteen, and most of the team put on a few pounds. The company did draw the line though when they noticed that some of their staff were having the three course lunch as their main meal, then picking up sandwiches on the way out of the room to take home for their evening meal.

It also showed that sometimes employers just can't please staff however generous they are. I once heard someone complaining that there wasn't enough choice of main courses, on the basis that four of the seven options on offer were based on chicken and they preferred other meat.

I once worked for a contractor who had a very large contract to refurbish Shell Mex House on the Strand which had a very nice free canteen for the use of Shell staff and it's contractors. It was almost impossible to get people to transfer off that contract.

In contrast the only office I worked in that had a free canteen served up the worst food, it made you pine for school meals!

Edited by Tim Lewis