Are Liverpool boats really the best narrowboats you can get?

OTL

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Actually you did - your use of "taken over" implies new management and ownership. But never mind.

Actually I didn't - that's just your interpretation of what I said and that certainly wasn't what I meant.

"Taken over" simply meant taken over with a new name. But never mind.

Stop looking for arguments, your supposed to be a moderator!

Edited by blackrose

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Actually I didn't - that's just your interpretation of what I said and that certainly wasn't what I meant.

No, "taken over" means a change of ownership, hence my interpretation of your comment. Have you ever heard of a company being taken over by the same person that owned it before? 

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, "taken over" means a change of ownership, hence my interpretation of your comment. Have you ever heard of a company being taken over by the same person that owned it before? 

No "taken over" doesn't necessarily mean a change of ownership. A company could be taken over by a son when his father retires for example with no change of ownership, just a change of Director.

Anyway, it doesn't matter - even if Liverpool Boats had been "taken over" by Collingwood with new management and a new owner, that doesn't preclude a relationship between the two companies. And, I never said there wasn't a relationship between the two.

Do you understand now? 

Please stop looking for arguments and being so petty, you're making yourself look stupid and you're supposed to be a moderator!

Edited by blackrose

44 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Your, You're and You are, different.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is strange how our perceptions have changed over the years, not so long ago it was a matter of pride (nay, superiority) to gloat that "I paid £50 for this pair of socks from Harrods",  

I use to live next door to someone like that. What was the saying, "never mind the quality, feel the width"

3 hours ago, Athy said:

If a company is taken over, to me that implies it has new owners, not a new name 

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Again you make assumptions.

Aldi's quality was poor, for example their digestive biscuits used to stick in your mouth like wallpaper paste. 

No2 Son was a Quality inspector at a Fruit and veg packing plant in Lincolnshire that supplied most of the supermarkets from M&S to Aldi and explained that the Aldi specifications for their produce was much lower than the other supermarkets, actually taking produce that was much nearer its sell by date than the others would accept.

Their quality on many products has improved over the years, and, on some products is excellent. Their 'middle aisle' is the place of dreams.

I once had a tour round a gravy factory (no really!) in Yorkshire.  They made all the own brand gravy in the country (everything except bisto).  Each had a slightly different recipe.  I asked the boss which was the best.  He told me "Aldi".

Place smelt lovely, by the way!

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Not necessarily. A firm may be "taken over"  by a son or daughter on the retirement of their father without any change of ownership and simply a change of Director. The ownership may remain within the family.

In any case that doesn't matter. Whether or not there was a change of ownership I hadn't said that there was no relationship between Liverpool Boats and Collingwood.

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Their quality on many products has improved over the years, and, on some products is excellent. 

so your comment 'never mind the quality, feel the price' may be disregarded as a load of old tosh because it doesn't represent what you believe.    QED.

AdE, do you ever wonder how others perceive you when you make opinionated statements that are then found to be baseless?

Edited by Murflynn

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I once had a tour round a gravy factory (no really!) in Yorkshire.  They made all the own brand gravy in the country (everything except bisto).  Each had a slightly different recipe.  I asked the boss which was the best.  He told me "Aldi".

Have you been watching "Chicken Run" again? ?

• Horror 1

I  like aldi/lidl wine rack because I like to read the rating and notes.. 

meat products - nope, dont trust them to have proper quality control over suppliers

fruits/veg: sometimes but they are not much cheaper than tesco/asda.

weird named packaged food(biscuits/chocolates etc) - nope ... after I saw product recall 3 times in one year

middle isle: that why I go there.. I may not buy anything but its worth looking at, bit like car boot sale

they have questionable business ethics copying product design/logo... they might be of better quality than original but it's stealing still.

Edited by restlessnomad

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Years ago I was doing agency work for a company, I drove from Doncaster to the docks on the east coast, collected 28 tons of frozen chicken from Brazil, returned it to a food processing plant in West yorkshire just off the M62. The loryy was steam cleaned out and loaded with processed chicken that went to Perkins frozen food nr Barnsley and then I came back with the rest plus stuff that was loaded at Perkins, the proceesed chicken was for every retailer you could think of in the UK, slightly different recipes but I couldnt tell the difference in taste really. I did this for 2 weeks whilst the regular driver was on holiday tedious stuff

15 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

meat products - nope, dont trust them to have proper quality control over suppliers

You don't recall the story a few years ago where a big meat supplier was filmed unpacking rejected Lidl chicken portions and repackaging them in Tesco packs with a longer use by date?

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

Years ago I was doing agency work for a company, I drove from Doncaster to the docks on the east coast, collected 28 tons of frozen chicken from Brazil, returned it to a food processing plant in West yorkshire just off the M62. The loryy was steam cleaned out and loaded with processed chicken that went to Perkins frozen food nr Barnsley and then I came back with the rest plus stuff that was loaded at Perkins, the proceesed chicken was for every retailer you could think of in the UK, slightly different recipes but I couldnt tell the difference in taste really. I did this for 2 weeks whilst the regular driver was on holiday tedious stuff

Cleaned the gutters on a big chicken processing factory once, nice job wandering across the flat roof on a nice sunny day, until I got to the back of the place where they had a BIG skip with a conveyor dumping waste into it, once the smell hit you it was almost physical, the worst was seeing the reject birds dropping into the skip and seeing the ones still alive being buried by their dead mates

18 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

How and why did you do a tour of a gravy factory?

:)

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

You don't recall the story a few years ago where a big meat supplier was filmed unpacking rejected Lidl chicken portions and repackaging them in Tesco packs with a longer use by date?

A golfing buddy was a shift manager at a large chicken processing plant and he'd often tell of the horror stories.

On such story involved the 'close to' / past 'Best Before dated chickens being returned from one of the 'big 4 ' supermarkets, it was unpacked, repacked in Iceland packaging with new dates, frozen and shipped out.

It sounds as if it is not an uncommon practice.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

How and why did you do a tour of a gravy factory?

:)

I was accompanying a Trading Standards officer on an inspection.  I mean, who would turn down the opportunity to have a tour of a gravy factory?

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

....or in a gravy boat?

That's an idea for a new roving trader.  After all, we have the Jam Butty, so why not the Gravy Boat?  Selling artisanal gravies.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I had a tour of a Dutch sausage factory once for work. Put me right off eating sausages for a good few years.

Many years ago I went round the Mars factory in Slough. We went past the Malteser production line where a few minutes before a fault in the line meant that millions of the chocolate treats had to be disposed of, they filled a row of skips that we had to walk past, I couldn't eat a Malteser for years after!

Edited by Tim Lewis

1 minute ago, Tim Lewis said:

Many years ago I went round the Mars factory in Slough We were walking passed the Malteser production line where a few minutes before a fault in the line meant that millions of the chocolate treats had to be disposed of, they filled a row of skips that we had to walk past, I couldn't eat a Malteser for years after!

You mean you didn't scoop some maltesers out of the skip and put them in your pocket for later?

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You mean you didn't scoop some maltesers out of the skip and put them in your pocket for later?

I visited the factory a few times over a short period. The reception contained many vending machines issuing free Mars products, when we left we were giving big goodie bags!  We didn't win the tender I was working on but a few years later I met someone who worked for the contractor which did, he  said that all the staff put on a lot of weight during the course of the works!

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I inferred that Tim had helped himself copiously as he walked along.

During my student days I went on a tour of Cadbury's factory at Bournville. One of our number, seeing the rows of chocolates trundling past the operatives on the production line, asked if there was ever a problem with pilfering.

"Oh yes", replied the tour guide, "when someone new starts they cram themselves with chocolates. Then they spend a couple of days off sick, and when they come back they eat just a few a day like everyone else".