Featured Posts

Hi all - hope this is allowed. I've been looking into my family tree and come from a huge line of boating families dating back a few hundred years.

My nana was Lily BOULD (b. May 1933 d. Dec 2013) daughter of Ellen THEOBALD (b. 1897 d. 1972) and Charles BOULD and was 1 of 7 children. I havent been able to find much at all down the BOULD side of the tree yet but the Theobalds seemingly go back for a few hundred years.

My great gran Ellen THEOBALD was the daughter of Henry THEOBALD (b. April 1857 d. Apr 1943) and Eleanor (Ellen) Lydia KEANE and was 1 of 4 with Eleanor (his first wife) 2 children with his second wife (Ellen BAILEY) and another 4 children with his third wife (Sarah Jane BAILEY).

Henry was the son of Thomas THEOBALD (b.1823 d. Jan 1906) and Ellen CHAPMAN and was 1 of 8 children. Thomas was also married twice, his second wife being Sarah WOODBINE and he was also committed to Mickleover County Asylum around the turn of the century due to "melancholy" and actually died in there.

The tree goes on but it may be too much to put on here! They were all based around the Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire area. 

I have managed to find some lovely photos through family albums, through connecting with other people and internet searches and was just wondering if there is anyone else on here from the same line or one of the branches? I would love to connect to any others out there and maybe share any stories and photos we may have?

The family were so secretive, and I know there is both good and bad in the family history, but there are also so many mysteries and questions! 

Also, if anyone has any info on this family or other tips on where to go hunting it would be hugely appreciated ? Many thanks Anna

• 2 weeks later...

I would have thought Lorna might have helped. However regarding Lily Bould,, I assume you would have checked Ancestry. If not, it would appear that Charles Bould was born in 1897, and was the son of a boatman who appears on the 1911 census at Wheelock. He married Helen Theobold at Kidsgrove (St Thomas) in 1920, and that useful record for 1939 shows him and Helen at Stoke on Trent at the Anderton Co, wharf.

rg14_21744_0339_03.jpg

• Greenie 1

On 01/06/2021 at 11:37, Anna Snape said:

Hi all - hope this is allowed. I've been looking into my family tree and come from a huge line of boating families dating back a few hundred years.

My nana was Lily BOULD (b. May 1933 d. Dec 2013) daughter of Ellen THEOBALD (b. 1897 d. 1972) and Charles BOULD and was 1 of 7 children. I havent been able to find much at all down the BOULD side of the tree yet but the Theobalds seemingly go back for a few hundred years.

My great gran Ellen THEOBALD was the daughter of Henry THEOBALD (b. April 1857 d. Apr 1943) and Eleanor (Ellen) Lydia KEANE and was 1 of 4 with Eleanor (his first wife) 2 children with his second wife (Ellen BAILEY) and another 4 children with his third wife (Sarah Jane BAILEY).

Henry was the son of Thomas THEOBALD (b.1823 d. Jan 1906) and Ellen CHAPMAN and was 1 of 8 children. Thomas was also married twice, his second wife being Sarah WOODBINE and he was also committed to Mickleover County Asylum around the turn of the century due to "melancholy" and actually died in there.

The tree goes on but it may be too much to put on here! They were all based around the Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire area. 

I have managed to find some lovely photos through family albums, through connecting with other people and internet searches and was just wondering if there is anyone else on here from the same line or one of the branches? I would love to connect to any others out there and maybe share any stories and photos we may have?

The family were so secretive, and I know there is both good and bad in the family history, but there are also so many mysteries and questions! 

Also, if anyone has any info on this family or other tips on where to go hunting it would be hugely appreciated ? Many thanks Anna

To clarify the reference to ‘Lorna’ in Heartland’s post above, that is Lorna York, CRTs family history expert, herself a descendant of boating families. She would be a good point of contact for further information.

I can link the Theobald (or Theobold) family to the main Cheshire/Staffordshire boating families and beyond through Samuel Theobold, the half-brother of Thomas Theobald mentioned in your post. You may already have that information. I don’t have information on your direct line.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

Hi Anna

I am the grand daughter Mary Jane Theobald born 1878 at Middlewich Cheshire  and the great granddaughter of Henry Theobald  and Ellen Bailey

Henry married Ellen Bailey 15/10/1876 Middlewich Cheshire 2 daughters 

Henry married Ellen Lydia keen 2/12/1895 St Lawrence Long Eaton Derbyshire

Henry married Sarah Jane Bailey 30/1/1904 All Saints Odd Rode Cheshire.

The Theobalds worked the River Trent before going onto the canal system.

There are always good and bad bits in Family history but that's life

I have some information on the Bould family back to the early 1800's

Regards Lorna

• Greenie 1

The 1939 record that is found through Ancestry has deleted items, but as far as the Bould family is concerned the record exists, and in intriguingly Lily is on a different boat,

Bould.jpg

I found the 1939 records useful when chasing up family history of the Trent & Mersey Canal Co, for the book now published by Crowood, In 1939 Lily Bould was on the Pine with Bert Bailey master, 

• Greenie 1

• 6 months later...

Hi I'm so sorry i never responded to your replies on this thread. I must have missed any notifications to say anyone replied and i had to put down my research for a while and have only just got around to picking it back up again.

Just wanted to say thank you so much for your responses :) and am still very keen to get as much information as i can but understand it has now been a while! 

Many thanks, Anna

On 12/06/2021 at 19:00, Lorna said:

Hi Anna

I am the grand daughter Mary Jane Theobald born 1878 at Middlewich Cheshire  and the great granddaughter of Henry Theobald  and Ellen Bailey

Henry married Ellen Bailey 15/10/1876 Middlewich Cheshire 2 daughters 

Henry married Ellen Lydia keen 2/12/1895 St Lawrence Long Eaton Derbyshire

Henry married Sarah Jane Bailey 30/1/1904 All Saints Odd Rode Cheshire.

The Theobalds worked the River Trent before going onto the canal system.

There are always good and bad bits in Family history but that's life

I have some information on the Bould family back to the early 1800's

Regards Lorna

Hi Lorna,

Apologies for not seeing your message sooner but potentially finding a relation on here is beyond what i was hoping for :) Henry Theobald is my 2x great grandfather. I would love to connect and share what we each have for this family line?

Kind regards, Anna

On 14/06/2021 at 15:34, Heartland said:

The 1939 record that is found through Ancestry has deleted items, but as far as the Bould family is concerned the record exists, and in intriguingly Lily is on a different boat,

Bould.jpg

I found the 1939 records useful when chasing up family history of the Trent & Mersey Canal Co, for the book now published by Crowood, In 1939 Lily Bould was on the Pine with Bert Bailey master, 

Thank you for this :) its fascinating! Very interesting that they were on different boats - does it say after lily something about "under school ..."? Did children sometimes go on other boats for schooling?

Many thanks, Anna

On 11/06/2021 at 13:59, Captain Pegg said:

To clarify the reference to ‘Lorna’ in Heartland’s post above, that is Lorna York, CRTs family history expert, herself a descendant of boating families. She would be a good point of contact for further information.

I can link the Theobald (or Theobold) family to the main Cheshire/Staffordshire boating families and beyond through Samuel Theobold, the half-brother of Thomas Theobald mentioned in your post. You may already have that information. I don’t have information on your direct line.

Hi, Thank you so much for this information and also the census, it gives me another avenue to delve into :) I have managed to find a bit through Ancestry since and gained medical records for Thomas Theobald  so lots to dive back into.

Many thanks, Anna