Rope fenders or metal tube

colinashby

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, PineappleGuy said:

I'm confused now, doesn't this imply that it's not worth ever not deploying side fenders, contrary to the advice that everyone seems to be giving, as one goes under bridges or into locks most of the time?

If you have your side fenders down in a narrow lock you can get jammed.

I remeber waiting at the bottom end of the Llangollen when a boat with fenders down started emptying the lock, he was left high and dry, and had to quickly let the water back in and try to pop-him back up.

Travelling with fenders down is just an aesthetic thing which 'old timers' don't like, but it doesn't affect the boat, fenders up or down is a personal decision (except in locks)

We usually have some sort of mangled fender on a bit of rope, usually somewhere near the front 'shoulders' of the boat so that it can be deployed if the boat veers unexpectedly towards lock masonry and the fixed fenders look like being in the wrong place. Big boats running in gear can cause currents and banging into a lock wall invariably makes the mug in the 'bathroom' fall off its shelf and all the toothbrushes fall out.

On 01/06/2021 at 11:36, Ray T said:

OP, do you mean side fenders or bow and stern?

In both cases metal alone is not a good idea as they will not absorb any shock.

If bow and stern, rope fenders are there to both protect the boat and the infrastructure.

Also fenders need to be able to lift or have a weak link in the fixing to avoid getting hung up on lock gates.

Is this what you mean in the photo's?

Fender.JPG

Fixed fenders.jpg

Yes, these are what I mean. I have decided to go with the regular rope fenders at the back thanks to all the advice I have had from kind boaters.

If it is a part of the boat it could be measured as such by CRT and marinas. 

On 02/06/2021 at 19:42, Alan de Enfield said:

If you have your side fenders down in a narrow lock you can get jammed.

Which is exactly what happened to the boat following us up the Napton flight last week. It wasn't the lock that used to be well known for getting historic boats stuck. He was stuck fast until the crew from a hire boat coming down arrived to help him.

I was heading down to stratford a few years back and a boat coming up in a lock had his fenders down. he got stuck halfway up, letting water out had no effect the boat stayed stuck. and more filling just threatened to flood him. CRT guys came and tried jumping on and off when the water has down a bit to see if the shock would shift him but no he was stuck. After about 2 hours a Toyota 4X4 and a farmers Tractor attached to his stern they eventually got him afloat. Much thanking by the skipper and he took his fenders up went through the lock and stopped at the lock landing and put the fenders down again before he sailed happily onwards.

We once got stuck in a rather wide Thames lock, went in next to broadbeam hire boat which had all fenders down, no problems, lock emptied, neither of us could move without much reving of engines and cursing. Lock keeper disapeared.