Thames tide/Brentford booking information

Philip

Featured Posts

I'm planning to travel from Teddington lock to Brentford lock and into the Grand Union Canal next Monday 7th. I've just looked at the high tide time for this day and it says 13:00, so based on this can I ask please what time would be a good time to lock down into the tideway, and what time subsequently to book Brentford lock passage?

You'll have to call the respective lock keepers, but in general (assuming you are looking at the correct time for high tide at Teddington) you could leave about half an hour before. This means you punch the incoming flood tide for half and hour before slack water at 13.00 for about 15 mins and then run the rest of the way with the ebb tide pushing you. 

Leaving slightly before high tide means the ebb tide isn't quite so strong when you turn into Brentford.

This  page includes a bit of advice on the landmarks to look for when you get to Brentford.  You can track the whole route on Google Streetmap (sic) if you want to. 

Note that HW London Bridge is 1200 GMT, so it will be 1400 BST at Teddington/Brentford. I would leave about 1315, to get to Brentford just after high water. The lock there should be open 1200-1600. The website shows slots at 1200 for B to T and 1400 for T to B, which matches. 

http://thamescruising.co.uk/?p=36

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

This  page includes a bit of advice on the landmarks to look for when you get to Brentford.  You can track the whole route on Google Streetmap (sic) if you want to. 

Note that HW London Bridge is 1200 GMT, so it will be 1400 BST at Teddington/Brentford. I would leave about 1315, to get to Brentford just after high water. The lock there should be open 1200-1600. The website shows slots at 1200 for B to T and 1400 for T to B, which matches. 

http://thamescruising.co.uk/?p=36

Thanks for this