Marque Narrowboats Plate Thickness

old bill

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As it is a 1999 boat it must have the RCD serial number and manufacturers details on a plate and marked (engraved, welded etc) into the hull.

Typical canal boat RCD ID plate.

New RCD Updated January 2017 For Narrowboats | Guide To New Recreational  Craft Directive

And the plate on my French built boat (manufactured by CNB)

Strange Chassis Plate HIN/CIN code for a Liverpool Hull? - Living Afloat -  Canal World

Thanks @Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, old bill said:

Thanks @matty40s, assume quality is good too then?

His welding was excellent, and our hull has very pleasing lines....I can usually spot his shells, however, if  he was building to a specific hire fleet order the normal details may not apply.

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

His welding was excellent, and our hull has very pleasing lines....I can usually spot his shells, however, if  he was building to a specific hire fleet order the normal details may not apply.

Great to hear he has a good name in an industry I know little about. I’ll also check the RCD plate and hull markings as @Alan de Enfield suggests. Thanks for feedback...

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

7ft 9in beam... The worst of both worlds! ?

Now now, we all have to start some where...?

27 minutes ago, old bill said:

Great to hear he has a good name in an industry I know little about. I’ll also check the RCD plate and hull markings as @Alan de Enfield suggests. Thanks for feedback...

Now now, we all have to start some where...?

Still happy with mine after 20 years. I am not sure what useful information you will glean from the RCD plate other than it has one. It wont give steel thickness or hull manufacturer. 

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Still happy with mine after 20 years. I am not sure what useful information you will glean from the RCD plate other than it has one. It wont give steel thickness or hull manufacturer. 

Even in 1999 the Hull builder had to do Annexe IIIA paperwork certifying the build to the stage at which it was sold. This should have included the HIN which incorporates the builders name and date.

Subsequently to the RCD revisions and the removal of Annexe IIIA, the shell builder becomes the one certifying RCD compliance to the state of build, but full RCD compliance and markings are now required on the shell.

The HIN / CIN is made up as follows :

cin

15 hours ago, old bill said:

Best, easiest way of finding out whether it is or not?

Ultimately your surveyor will tell you how thick it is, and also where it's worn and pitted and whether that's above or below average for a boat of that age, The owner might be able to answer that question beforehand, knowing that you'll check anyway,

It's non-standard because it's a V-bottom so won't have the big thick base plate, but  if it was built for a hire boat company they probably didn't skimp and ask for really thin plate either

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Even in 1999 the Hull builder had to do Annexe IIIA paperwork certifying the build to the stage at which it was sold. This should have included the HIN which incorporates the builders name and date.

Subsequently to the RCD revisions and the removal of Annexe IIIA, the shell builder becomes the one certifying RCD compliance to the state of build, but full RCD compliance and markings are now required on the shell.

The HIN / CIN is made up as follows :

cin

I agree BUT there is very little useful information on the HIN plate, its in the documentation, how much detail is there on steel thickness etc. I don't know because I have never seen one.

Edited by ditchcrawler

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I agree BUT there is very little useful information on the HIN plate, its in the documentation, how much detail is there on steel thickness etc. I don't know because I have never seen one.

Agreed, I was only answering his question reagrding the hull manufacturer. The thickness will not be specified in the RCD documentation or on the HIN plate

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed, I was only answering his question reagrding the hull manufacturer. The thickness will not be specified in the RCD documentation or on the HIN plate

thanks guys, this should let me know whether the hull was build by Marque...

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

Ultimately your surveyor will tell you how thick it is, and also where it's worn and pitted and whether that's above or below average for a boat of that age, The owner might be able to answer that question beforehand, knowing that you'll check anyway,

It's non-standard because it's a V-bottom so won't have the big thick base plate, but  if it was built for a hire boat company they probably didn't skimp and ask for really thin plate either

thanks @enigmatic, "belts and braces" - I'll be getting a survey, just wanted to know as much about her prior to doing so to cross reference with survey findings...