Marque Narrowboats Plate Thickness

old bill

Featured Posts

Evening all - we are considering buying an ex-hire Marque Boatbuilders 39ft x 7ft9 NB - any info. any one could provide would be most appreciated. Including what the original plate thickness should be prior to us having her surveyed. 

Have you got a boat name??

Most big Marques were built with 10/6/5/4 , however, smaller ones may have been different.

I have discovered my uxter plate is only 6mm, must have been using up spare plate, luckily,  being good steel and Comastic (RIP), it's still 6cm and the only rust is inside which has been dealt with.

3 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I don't!

Unfortunately I'm unable to help the OP.

Capture1.JPG.8fcbbb4c2d8b83f6b4c27481eecab5c9.JPG

That doesnt look like a marque hull to me, but he may have built it to the hire company spec. I can ask him, he may remember.

Where are you planning to use this boat

Edited by ditchcrawler

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

In that case, you can only use it on the Mon & Brec and the wide canals of the main network. It will be too wide to fit through most narrow locks (and without the corresponding internal space advantages of a proper wide boat).

Yes I suppose that is why it hasn't had many views. All the disadvantages of a wide beam, with none of the advantages so it neither appeals to narrowboat buyers or wide beam buyers.

It's a tidy looking boat though and is keenly priced, the extra width is noticeable in the internal pictures but I guess resale will always be an issue.

3 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Yes I suppose that is why it hasn't had many views. All the disadvantages of a wide beam, with none of the advantages so it neither appeals to narrowboat buyers or wide beam buyers.

It's a tidy looking boat though and is keenly priced, the extra width is noticeable in the internal pictures but I guess resale will always be an issue.

so where do you plan using it

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

so where do you plan using it

I'm not the OP! I just posted the ad for clarity sake, sorry for the confusion!

If the OP only intends to use the boat on the Mon and Brec then I'd say it's ideal.....it's even got a custom V hull for the shallows.

1 minute ago, booke23 said:

I'm not the OP! I just posted the ad for clarity sake, sorry for the confusion!

If the OP only intends to use the boat on the Mon and Brec then I'd say it's ideal.....it's even got a custom V hull for the shallows.

Maybe he intends to take it to Scotland, how wide are their locks?

Hi all, wow that was fast! We would be relocating to Forth & Clyde so I guess wide-er (not proper wide) wouldn’t be an issue. 

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That doesnt look like a marque hull to me, but he may have built it to the hire company spec. I can ask him, he may remember.

If you could ask/enquire that would be great. 
plan to use on Forth & Clyde where wide beams don’t appear to be a problem. Cheers.

37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Have you got a boat name??

Most big Marques were built with 10/6/5/4 , however, smaller ones may have been different.

I have discovered my uxter plate is only 6mm, must have been using up spare plate, luckily,  being good steel and Comastic (RIP), it's still 6cm and the only rust is inside which has been dealt with.

Y-fenni built for Castle Narrowboats. Trying to establish a little more about her before travelling the 400 miles to view!

25 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe he intends to take it to Scotland, how wide are their locks?

I do! Wide beams are fine on the F&C... really just asking about hull thickness prior to taking enquiry any further... Cheers.

46 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Marque built many hulls to specific dimensions for different fitters, hire, and self builds, he was very good at bespoke things.

35 minutes ago, old bill said:

Hi all, wow that was fast! We would be relocating to Forth & Clyde so I guess wide-er (not proper wide) wouldn’t be an issue. 

If you could ask/enquire that would be great. 
plan to use on Forth & Clyde where wide beams don’t appear to be a problem. Cheers.

Just had a reply from Mark and he can't remember what the steel spec was as they were built to the customer spec and design, not his standard hull

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just had a reply from Mark and he can't remember what the steel spec was as they were built to the customer spec and design, not his standard hull

Thanks @ditchcrawler, much appreciated. Do boat builders tend to hold paperwork for past projects. I’d be more than happy to speak with them myself also. Really appreciate your time. 

1 hour ago, old bill said:

Evening all - we are considering buying an ex-hire Marque Boatbuilders 39ft x 7ft9 NB - any info. any one could provide would be most appreciated. Including what the original plate thickness should be prior to us having her surveyed. 

33 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Marque built many hulls to specific dimensions for different fitters, hire, and self builds, he was very good at bespoke things.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

8E0A051F-0D7D-417C-B192-4F47EA804A09.png

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do we think it is a Marque though?

30 minutes ago, old bill said:

Best, easiest way of finding out whether it is or not?

As it is a 1999 boat it must have the RCD serial number and manufacturers details on a plate and marked (engraved, welded etc) into the hull.

Typical canal boat RCD ID plate.

New RCD Updated January 2017 For Narrowboats | Guide To New Recreational  Craft Directive

And the plate on my French built boat (manufactured by CNB)

Strange Chassis Plate HIN/CIN code for a Liverpool Hull? - Living Afloat -  Canal World