I am acquiring some property on the river bank in Bristol and would like to know what is possible and what you would do?.

Mr. Wharf

Featured Posts

Plenty of trees to tie a rope to to secure a boat temporarily.

Are you going to be single handed or are there two (or more) of you? If mostly single handed I would suggest a boat light enough to lift on your own, so the question of dragging (other than perhaps over the grass at the bottom) doesn't arise.

Edited by David Mack

46 minutes ago, Mr. Wharf said:

I think I misunderstood your original post because I'm not familiar with all the terminology. I thought it involved making adjustments to the bank but reading it again I think you are just referring to adjustments or specifics on the boat. I probably could bolt a winch down on the courtyard of my property to drag an inflatable out when I think about it. 

So in this case the method would be to lower the motorised inflatable into the water and remove it with the winch, but in order to do this without flooding the boat or damaging it, I'd have to make alterations? Or can I purchase an inflatable that would be already suitable? 

Thanks for the help.

Don't even think about the bit in red unless you want to keep buying new blow up boats. My suggestion about a winch related to the type of GRP boat I described with steel capped runners below it. Manually push it out of your yard and down the bank, use a winch to pull t back up because I doubt you could do it manually up that slope.

44 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't even think about the bit in red unless you want to keep buying new blow up boats. My suggestion about a winch related to the type of GRP boat I described with steel capped runners below it. Manually push it out of your yard and down the bank, use a winch to pull t back up because I doubt you could do it manually up that slope.

Ah OK. Thanks for clearing that up. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Plenty of trees to tie a rope to to secure a boat temporarily.

Are you going to be single handed or are there two (or more) of you? If mostly single handed I would suggest a boat light enough to lift on your own, so the question of dragging (other than perhaps over the grass at the bottom) doesn't arise.

I would definitely want to be able to do it singlehandedly on occasion. Maybe could have one type of vessel for solo journeys and another for team efforts. Maybe an inflatable kayak with out board electric motor for lone excursions and a larger inflatable dinghy with bigger motor for multi person adventures. That way I could eliminate any dragging. I'm just a bit concerned an inflatable kayak/canoe with electric motor will be quite slow but I'll have to look into it. 

5 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Since there is a footpath/cycle path between the OPs property and the river bank I doubt that he will actually own that part of the bank

I think the OP should check this if he hasn't already. I used to live on the Thames and there were several properties where the Thames path went through the back garden of the property but the garden continued down to the river below the footpath. 

So the footpath in itself may only represent a public right of way and does not necessarily constitute ownership of the land. Riperian rights to the river bank may still lay with the landowner above the footpath. It's worth checking anyway.

Edited by blackrose

How far below the bank/footpath is the typical river level at that point?  It is difficult to tell from your photo.  Or is there a lower section of bank close to river level?  If most of the year it is a metre plus drop straight into the water it isn't going to be easy to get anything out (or possibly even in).  If it is only say 30cm it will be easier - but that might also mean there are times of the year when you can float something directly from your garden into the river - although those aren't times when it would be sensible to go boating!

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

but that might also mean there are times of the year when you can float something directly from your garden into the river -

This section of the river is semi tidal, so on days when the tide comes over Netham Weir, there will be times of day when you can float things, if not from the garden, at least from higher up the bank.

32 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This section of the river is semi tidal, so on days when the tide comes over Netham Weir, there will be times of day when you can float things, if not from the garden, at least from higher up the bank.

I really don't know why folk get excited about it being 'semi-tidal.  The River Avon above Netham Lock is very rarely affected by the tide - only extreme spring tides will over-top Netham Weir, and as a local you will soon get familiar with the pattern of the tides and avoid any dangers.  Like any river there will be periods of heavy flow and rising levels. 

4 hours ago, Cheese said:

How far below the bank/footpath is the typical river level at that point?  It is difficult to tell from your photo.  Or is there a lower section of bank close to river level?  If most of the year it is a metre plus drop straight into the water it isn't going to be easy to get anything out (or possibly even in).  If it is only say 30cm it will be easier - but that might also mean there are times of the year when you can float something directly from your garden into the river - although those aren't times when it would be sensible to go boating!

Hi. I'm not sure I'd have to go and take some better photographs. I did find this paddle point very near but doesn't really look that suitable for a boat with a motor. I'll work it out I'm sure. Thanks for the help everyone. 

Screenshot_2.png