Painting between waterlin0e and gunnels

jddevel

Featured Posts

Not being perfect l frequently come in contact with lock walls. This leaves an unsightly mark.  I'm trying to decide what to use to make things more presentable- first having removed the "red " marks that the last 6 months neglect has produced. Obviously anticipating more work after the next few locks it would be nice to be able to "blend " in any future requirements. It currently has semi gloss finish as completed when the hull was completely painted. Would say Keel Black or similar be acceptable? I realize it will require the whole boat being done intitially. What do others use  please?

The bit of our boat between the gunwale and the rubbing strake is painted black and when it picks up scrapes and scratches, I repaint it with Epifanes black. We find a place to moor where the edge allows access to the whole area ( often the bit at the stern is below the edge of the banking which makes it tricky to do) , give the whole length a quick wash and sand any bits which need it and then paint it.  I find it gives a better look if I paint the whole length rather than touch up. Only takes about half an hour

haggis

If you have bitumen based blacking then you can patch up scrapes with a bitumen product. But if your main coating is epoxy based, then you would be better touching up with epoxy. Otherwise you will have to completely strip the hull next time you come to black it.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

If you have bitumen based blacking then you can patch up scrapes with a bitumen product. But if your main coating is epoxy based, then you would be better touching up with epoxy. Otherwise you will have to completely strip the hull next time you come to black it.

That is true and I should have said that when we have the bottom blacked we get it done up to the rubbing strake.  Everything above there was painted when the whole boat was done and we don't have to touch up using what was used for the hull. 

haggis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi can anyone advise if the scuffs are over an application of Jotamastic 87 epoxy then can  it just be applied after wire brushing and cleaning? 

Just higher up there is unknown paint, its not epoxy, not does it have a look of bituminous paint though Im not expert at all on that. It looks like Epifanes black is one to try. I saw someone applying Hammerite a few weeks back- is that not a good idea? 

All scuffs I'm referring to are above water!