Deposit paid. Advise on my next steps please?

Andy300

Featured Posts

I've been searching for months for my first NB and eventually found the one I really want. It's been checked out and I've paid my 10% deposit to secure. 

I have my mooring sorted, and this week will pay the balance, and sail down to my mooring. 

Please can anyone offer advise on how and when I can insure and acquire my CRT license, ie can I pay the CRT before I fully "own" the boat? Does the current/previous owner first have to cancel his CRT licence? 

The same with insurance. Can I insure the boat before I've made full payment? I want to pay and sail away, and obviously want insurance in place just in case... 

Insure first. Easily done on line.

Then licence, quoting the insurance policy number. Also doable online.

If you apply for the licence now (in May) with the new licence to start on 1 June, you will get the advance payment discount.

CRT won't worry if your licence overlaps the previous owner's. I suspect your application may anyway trigger the previous owner's refund if he hasn't already notified them of the sale.

Edited by David Mack

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Insure first. Easily done on line.

Then licence, quoting the insurance policy number. Also doable online.

26 minutes ago, Andy300 said:

I want to pay and sail away, and obviously want insurance in place just in case... 

You will also need to make sure it has an 'in date' valid BSSC (you cannot licence it without one)

Edit to add :

Depending on the age of the boat (20 / 25 / 30 years depending on insurer) you may need a surveyors 'insurance survey', and have any identified problems rectified before cover can be issued.

If it is a younger boat them - no problem.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thanks gents, I appreciate the speedy and helpful responses. 

I'll get online now for insurance and to the CRT. She was made in 2006, and the BSSC certificate is valid until May 2022 so that sounds fine

On 29/05/2021 at 09:49, Andy300 said:

I've been searching for months for my first NB and eventually found the one I really want. It's been checked out and I've paid my 10% deposit to secure. 

Does "checked out" mean surveyed or just given the once over by a mate?

36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Too late now, its his, 

Yes too late now, but since the OP is asking for advice on the correct steps to take it might be worth him (and other would be owners who may be interested), knowing if the correct steps have been taken thus far.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, blackrose said:

Does "checked out" mean surveyed or just given the once over by a mate?

Apologies for my ambiguous opening post. She was checked out, by a Surveyor, in a survey. 

• Greenie 1