New Boat

Great Escape

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Great Escape said:

Thanks for reply’s so far, I feel a little more background is called for. 
i have family living aboard a wide beam and have a fairly good insight into where I can get and can’t as well as years of their pesonal experience with living aboard and some suggestions from them as regards mistakes they’ve made., I have secured a mooring that can accept the size boat I’m looking at  so that’s not an issue. The main thing lacking is knowledge of builders and where to find a good second hand boats. I suppose builders to avoid would be handy too. Apologies for not stating some of this info in op.

Sounds like you are well on the right track with things, I would still suggest second hand if you want to be in within the next couple of years

2 minutes ago, Great Escape said:

Why pray tell ?

Message Tracy.

They have a very poor reputation but it would not be a good idea to post facts on a public forum.

Remember Liverpool boats (boat not straight, gunwhales different sizes, bad welds etc) - believe it or not, bad as they were there are worse builders.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Message Tracy.

They have a very poor reputation but it would not be a good idea to post facts on a public forum.

Remember Liverpool boats (boat not straight, gunwhales different sizes, bad welds etc) - believe it or not, bad as they were there are worse builders.

Message sent 
Thanks

4 hours ago, Great Escape said:

I’m looking to but a 58-60ft x 11ft wide beam for live aboard and would like any recommendations of builders or places to look for pre owned

https://www.apolloduck.com/search.phtml?search=&advert_type=&cat=140&subcat=72&cat2=&subcat2=&cat3=&subcat3=&cat4=&subcat4=&fx=GBP&minv=Min+Price&maxv=Max+Price&minlength=0&maxlength=1828.8&maxbeam=&maxdraft=&minyear=&maxyear=&berths=&fuel=&material=&continent=&search_nation=&search_county=&search_nation2=&search_county2=&search_nation3=&search_county3=&search_nation4=&search_county4=&sr=4&q=1&x=1#result

Most brokers and builders advertise on the duck. Play with the search options to narrow your choice.

Edited by David Mack

2 hours ago, Chris John said:

In 2020 Collingwood owners had organised a protest at the Crick show about poor boat quality and after sales. This is scuppered as the show was cancelled due to Covid. 

Everyone who is in the know, knows you don’t buy a new Collingwood, but you buy one 2-3 years old when all the snagging jobs have been done and sorted?

I take it all those Collingwood owners that were going to protest bought brand new within the last 2 years and probably a 60x12 Euro-cruiser.?

Edited by PD1964

3 hours ago, Chris John said:

New and Used adverts put Collingwood in small at the bottom of their adverts 

They must be doing something right as I would say Liverpool/Collingwood shells and boats are the highest percentage of boats on the canal system.

35 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

They must be doing something right as I would say Liverpool/Collingwood shells and boats are the highest percentage of boats on the canal system.

Mass production doesnt equal quality...

• Greenie 1

I bought my widebeam secondhand and it represented fantastic value for money, yes I have made changes, but this is over time and to sort out my problems with living with the boat, rather than perceived problems on purchase. 

It's rare to find the perfik boat, but a friend Martin did just that, he loves his boat and the changes he is now making are solar to allow engine running free mooring and that's it! Jayne and I have been onboard and it's a lovely boat well made and fitted out superbly 

Edited by peterboat

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

I bought my widebeam secondhand and it represented fantastic value for money, yes I have. I have made changes, but this is over time and to sort out my problems with living with the boat, rather than perceived problems on purchase. 

It's rare to find the perfik boat, but a friend Martin did just that, he loves his boat and the changes he is now making are solar to allow engine running free mooring and that's it! Jayne and I have been onboard and it's a lovely boat well made and fitted out superbly 

The other side of the coin

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Mass production doesnt equal quality...

I know but it represents cheaper boating for the masses, like the original Model T Ford, as they say “you get what you pay for” also bespoke doesn’t always mean quality, it’s all down to the shell builder and who fits it out as you know.

All these people that complain after they bought a new Collingwood weren’t complaining about the price when they bought them were they? maybe they should of thought what I wrote above “you get what you pay for”

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

On 28/05/2021 at 17:10, blackrose said:

Ok good, now before you go any further are you completely sure you fully appreciate the advantages? ?

CAM00234.jpg

That does look extremely inviting. Quite apart from its spaciousness, it avoids the wishy-washy pale finish which seems to blight many boats at the moment. 

24 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Have they set up as a new company now following the liquidation...?

Yes it wasn't a liquidation it was closing down old companies, I was talking to Johnny and Louis last weekend they are busy as ever 

On 01/06/2021 at 10:33, peterboat said:

Johnathan Wilson either at Sheffield or Thorne 

Johnathan will do the shell and you can get S.Ellis boatfitters to fit out for you. Steve and Johnathan work side by side with each other and Steve will fit out to any stage you require.

S.Ellis will also fit out any shell of your choice to completed boat, if you get it delivered to his shed, if you want a specific shell builder and not a Wilson shell.

Just give either a ring to discuss your requirements.

Edited by PD1964