best 2KVA generator

Murflynn

Featured Posts

I have found several 'incredibly silent' generators for sale, from a £190 2 stroke by Widmann/China, to the Honda 2000 suitcase at the opposite end of the price spectrum, with the Champion and similar somewhere in between.  My use will be just as a standby to charge my batteries when an EA charging point is unavailable, while cruising the Thames in my leccy boat.  Probably won't be used more than 20 hours in a season, but I do want comparative silence.   Any recommendations?

Edited by Murflynn

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

Honda is the quietest, far quieter than its copy, the Kippor.

However, this says fairly quiet dB at 7 metres....

https://www.hampshiregenerators.co.uk/product/generators/inverter-petrol-generators/champion-92001i-2500w-the-mighty-atom-petrol-inverter-generator/

yeah, thanks.  I too have searched the web - now I'm looking for real-life reviews like wot luggsy posted.   .

7 hours ago, luggsy said:

We have this one , 6 years old starts first time never missed a beat, has the bomb proof Yamaha MZ80 engine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233716346100?epid=2255372599&hash=item366a946cf4:g:n~YAAOSwbc1fYzX5

great, thanks.  I'll put that one on the list of likely candid dates.  

There are so many gennies with good quietness ratings, but are they all based on the same test criteria?  it seems that dBa at 25% load at 7 metres is the most often quoted scenario.

Edited by Murflynn

Ok genuine review here...

I have one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silent-Inverter-Petrol-Generator-2KW-Portable-Camping-Caravan-RV-Blackline-4600-/333801751734?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

It is cheap, very quiet, lightweight and easy to start.

Running in Eco Mode (Load sensitive) I can get about 7 or 8 hours out of a tankful.

Although it says 2 KW it is in fact 2 KVA and will give 16-1800 watts continuously with no problem at all.

For the price, it would take some beating.

"Very quiet" is very subjective. If sound output level is important to you (as it should be) then forget about any generator that only states the sound output level in dB without stating the load or distance that the measurement was taken.

From memory Honda generally specify X dB 1/4 load taken at 7m from the generator.

Edited by blackrose

12 hours ago, blackrose said:

"Very quiet" is very subjective. If sound output level is important to you (as it should be) then forget about any generator that only states the sound output level in dB without stating the load or distance that the measurement was taken.

From memory Honda generally specify X dB 1/4 load taken at 7m from the generator.

Agreed, that is why I stated "genuine review here"

My idea of 'very quiet' is from what I hear when actually running the generator and comparing it with others that I have heard on boats.

The manufacturers quoted level is 59 dB but there is no indication of the actual test criteria used.

However I have had others comment on how quiet my generator is and that is good enough for me.

2 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

Agreed, that is why I stated "genuine review here"

My idea of 'very quiet' is from what I hear when actually running the generator and comparing it with others that I have heard on boats.

The manufacturers quoted level is 59 dB but there is no indication of the actual test criteria used.

However I have had others comment on how quiet my generator is and that is good enough for me.

It says 7m in the details of the ebay ad, so one could guess that this is at 1/4 power?

The fact that your experience is that it is quiet, and neighbours have commented, adds to the claims.

So logic suggests to me (but logic is just chaos spelt wrong!) that this one, same maker, as it is more powerful , would be even quieter as it wouldn't be working so hard for the same job - and the price, though more than the smaller one, looks good. Shame it weighs 36kg - not impossible, but cumbersome on a boat.

https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=25560

37 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Shame it weighs 36kg - not impossible, but cumbersome on a boat.

But, is 36kg really usable ?

To have to lift it off the boat and back on each time it is used - folks say they have a 15kg anchor because they couldn't lift a 20kg, or 30kg anchor over the gunnel.

36kg is heavier than a 15kg (full) gas cylinder. Possibly manageable if there are two of you. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But, is 36kg really usable ?

Well, yes. I can only speak for me, which is what we all basically do - I'm 75 next month, and I can still carry a 56lb weight in each hand around my garage when I need to move them (still got a few from my boating days), and that's heavier than the genny. I've no idea what Murflynn is prepared to move about - that's why I mentioned the weight - but he was asking for ideas so he can make an informed decision.

36kg is no good for me on my (lightweight) camping cruiser, but I understand the advice about over-speccing the power rating so that it runs more sweetly under part-load. 

I anticipate running two chargers that draw 500W and 460W respectively so a 2KVA jobbie will not be running under full load.

I used to work for a large TV & Film lighting company up until a couple of years ago. We had many very large silent gennies. We also had (probably still have) lots of smaller gennies ranging from 2KVa through to around 8KVa. Over the years we tried a variety of different makes, but Honda's proved to be the most reliable and durable. Gennies get hammered and are not always treated well on sets and locations. 

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

Well, yes. I can only speak for me, which is what we all basically do - I'm 75 next month, and I can still carry a 56lb weight in each hand around my garage when I need to move them (still got a few from my boating days), and that's heavier than the genny. I've no idea what Murflynn is prepared to move about - that's why I mentioned the weight - but he was asking for ideas so he can make an informed decision.

36kg is ~80lb and doing a straight lift up and over the gunnel, stepping onto the bank / towpath whilst carrying 80lb is very different to being in balance with 56lb in each hand and walking across your garage.

It is more akin to carrying a gas cylinder one handed whilst stepping off the boat,(a full 13kg gas cylinder is ~34kg)

I have a Champion 73001i genny, 2800w continuous 3100w peak. Bit louder and the tank is smaller than a Honda EU3000 but it’s around half the weight. 36kg dry but it’s not too bad to lift out the boat from the front deck - one heave onto the gunnel, hop onto the shore and then a heave onto the ground. After that it’s got wheels. 

Not a cheap generator by any means, think it was originally £800 but still a third of the price of a Honda. Had it apart to clean and it’s made very well with attention to detail on servicing. We have 8 of these units at work which are getting close to 1000 hours now with no problems.