Essential Check List/Questions for boat builder & hints and tips for a boat club interview!

Hrk1ng

Featured Posts

On 27/05/2021 at 15:26, Chris John said:

Take a spec of what you want so they can work on a price. 
If they want to build it to their spec without things you want avoid as it’s just mass produced 

Ask if they would object to a surveyor checking the final build.  
Ask what proof of ownership and paperwork you will receive though the payment schedule 

If it really is an interview to boat club move on! 

I belong to two boat clubs, joining one was a matter of filling in a form, the second made joining the Masons look like a doddle but is now the centre of my social life.

Tim

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

I belong to two boat clubs, joining one was a matter of filling in a form, the second made joining the Masons look like a doddle but is now the centre of my social life.

Tim

My OH is in the masons so we’re used to funny handshakes and wearing one trouser leg shorter than the other ?

17 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Hi, Is the boat builder building the complete boat, from shell to finished boat, or using another builders shell?

Would you name them?

Would proudly name them, it’s Swan Boat Builder’s in Liverpool. They doing the complete build bespoke to our specifications. Can’t wait!! 

On 27/05/2021 at 16:01, Alan de Enfield said:

Some folks find the membership requirements a little 'demanding'.

In return for nice and cheap moorings most (all ?) boat clubs expect so many hours or weekends per year from each member on 'maintenance' (cutting grass , painting club house, pontoon repairs, etc etc) and attendance or contributions to club 'functions', fine if you are 'mixers' but for some it is not boating as they want it.

The club we joined (whilst waiting for the marina to be built) was proper 'Admirals', 'Commodores' etc and they were in 'full uniform' of blazers, badges and caps' for our interview.

We were accepted, but left as soon as the marina 'next door' opened.

ability to drink often goes down well

On 27/05/2021 at 16:01, Alan de Enfield said:

Edited by Phoenix_V

9 minutes ago, Hrk1ng said:

@Alan de Enfield thanks for advice re future proofing of the engine - we are going for a beta marine engine that can be easily converted into a hybrid/electric. 

I think you may have misunderstood - the RCR (Recreational Craft Regulations) refers to the whole boat, how it is built, the components that must be used etc etc and, what must be re-surveyed if you change things.

eg: If you do change the engine then the boat will need reassessing and re surveying for compliance.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think you may have misunderstood - the RCR (Recreational Craft Regulations) refers to the whole boat, how it is built, the components that must be used etc etc and, what must be re-surveyed if you change things.

eg: If you do change the engine then the boat will need reassessing and re surveying for compliance.

Sorry, yes I know this. I’d read you giving some advice to another boater about the zero emission propulsion and all the dates. 

• Happy 1

If I had another hull built one thing I would specify is NO BRASS THROUGH THE HULL outlets for sinks etc. I would want all steel welded flush ones. I have pinged one brass one off completely and I how see half a second one is gone.

Edited by ditchcrawler
spilling
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Hrk1ng said:

Would proudly name them, it’s Swan Boat Builder’s in Liverpool. They doing the complete build bespoke to our specifications. Can’t wait!! 

Not clear from their website whether they build boats from scratch, or fit out shells built by others. But the text only refers to fitting out, and none of the photographs show shells being fabricated.

56 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Not clear from their website whether they build boats from scratch, or fit out shells built by others. But the text only refers to fitting out, and none of the photographs show shells being fabricated.

They get the shells from Aquarius Boats and yes they fit them out. They did get them from Aintree but have sourced a different supplier. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If I had another hull built one thing I would specify is NO BRASS THROUGH THE HULL outlets for sinks etc. I would want all steel welded flush ones. I have pinged one brass one off completely and I how see half a second one is gone.

Thats cos you are a rufty tufty boater ;)

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Thats cos you are a rufty tufty boater ;)

It just shows what a lot of bollocks it is having valves on the inside or double clipped pipe running up to the sink when the thing can shear out or the hull, all the clips in the world wont help that

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

What is it you're doing to knock off these fittings? I've never had any issues with brass fittings and if I did they're easy enough to replace. How do you prep and paint the inside of welded in steel pipes and what happens when they corrode through? Seems like more of a pain to me.

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

How do you prep and paint the inside of welded in steel pipes and what happens when they corrode through?

This was a welded in threaded pipe stub, to which a plastic wash basin waste pipe was attached.

"Came off in my hands, Gov!"

20210501_161819.jpg.d39723f6d18e6f6d5983a7713a6dfb3b.jpg20210501_161808.jpg.bd3cc2bf7b3fb0267aa01c19b83d6e27.jpg

13 hours ago, Hrk1ng said:

They get the shells from Aquarius Boats and yes they fit them out. They did get them from Aintree but have sourced a different supplier. 

Just work with the builder and visit regularly, there will be no need to get a surveyor to check at every stage if a reputable builder. Surveyor’s are very hit or miss, there are good ones and some right “jobs worths” so if you get the latter he could cause real problems and could sour your relationship with the builder. The boat will be signed off in accordance with current compliance so no need to worry about RCD this will all be sorted. 
  Every builder uses brass skin fittings these days for the reasons above(corrosion) and as for a fuel tank inspection plate, I’ve never seen one on a Narrowboat. Don’t try to re-invent the wheel it doesn’t work. You will get people on here putting in their two peneth worth of daft ideas on what a boat should have, ignore them and work with the builder and try to chat to Swan owners for sensible advice. There will be snags along the way, the biggest at the minute seams to be getting materials which could delay things and there will be snagging work once you collect, stay local for the first few weeks as these are easier sorted if close to the builder.

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It just shows what a lot of bollocks it is having valves on the inside or double clipped pipe running up to the sink when the thing can shear out or the hull, all the clips in the world wont help that

Most builders use brass through fittings, I’ve never known any to be ripped off.

As said above welded steel will cause more problems in the long run with corrosion.

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Just work with the builder and visit regularly, there will be no need to get a surveyor to check at every stage if a reputable builder. Surveyor’s are very hit or miss, there are good ones and some right “jobs worths” so if you get the latter he could cause real problems and could sour your relationship with the builder. The boat will be signed off in accordance with current compliance so no need to worry about RCD this will all be sorted. 
  Every builder uses brass skin fittings these days for the reasons above(corrosion) and as for a fuel tank inspection plate, I’ve never seen one on a Narrowboat. Don’t try to re-invent the wheel it doesn’t work. You will get people on here putting in their two peneth worth of daft ideas on what a boat should have, ignore them and work with the builder and try to chat to Swan owners for sensible advice. There will be snags along the way, the biggest at the minute seams to be getting materials which could delay things and there will be snagging work once you collect, stay local for the first few weeks as these are easier sorted if close to the builder.

The red bit - It may well be "signed off" but a number of boaters experiences suggest that the boat may still not actually comply and the lead body for RCD, now RCR, seems to have been remarkably reluctant to prosecute. This and the fact that you do not seem to know the regulations have changed suggest to me the advice that the RCR "will all be sorted" and that the OP has "no need to worry" is not likely to be the best advice. Failing to ensure the RCR and its documentation is not fraudulent might land the OP with an unseeable boat, a boat sold for less than its true worth, or a bill for retrospective modification and recertification.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

We are really lucky as we are only 35/40 mins from them and have already been a few times and seen other builds at various different stages - including one that was pretty much finished this weekend. They have been totally honest and transparent about the cost of materials, steel etc and the availability. Also very lucky that my husband is really knowledgeable in pretty much all aspects of building - albeit houses but plumbing, woodwork, electrics etc are pretty universal and he's had a very good poke about the different boats and is more than happy. I've spoken to quite a few owners - in fact one of them is a member on here and they cannot fault them. Any issues (which have been few and far between) have been rectified no bother. 

Totally agree re the surveyors - have recently been talking to a lady who bought a second hand boat from a broker last year, survey came back tickityboo and this year it has had to be dry docked and the hull is completely corroded and the whole thing needs replating. She's so angry as, like all boaters, hardly did any cruising last year so clearly the survey was a bish bash bosh job to get the boat sold for the broker. 

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The red bit - It may well be "signed off" but a number of boaters experiences suggest that the boat may still not actually comply and the lead body for RCD, now RCR, seems to have been remarkably reluctant to prosecute. This and the fact that you do not seem to know the regulations have changed suggest to me the advice that the RCR "will all be sorted" and that the OP has "no need to worry" is not likely to be the best advice. Failing to ensure the RCR and its documentation is not fraudulent might land the OP with an unseeable boat, a boat sold for less than its true worth, or a bill for retrospective modification and recertification.

So your saying the boat builder will not know the current regulations on what is required with the RCD/RCR
  The builder and shell builder will know the regulations more then you and me stop scare mongering.

What change to the  RCD/RCR regulations are you talking about?

Edited by PD1964

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Tony could you help me in understanding what I need to ensure to be RCR compliant? If you wouldn't mind and have the time? 

1 minute ago, Hrk1ng said:

Totally agree re the surveyors - have recently been talking to a lady who bought a second hand boat from a broker last year, survey came back tickityboo and this year it has had to be dry docked and the hull is completely corroded and the whole thing needs replating. She's so angry as, like all boaters, hardly did any cruising last year so clearly the survey was a bish bash bosh job to get the boat sold for the broker. 

That is probably not the surveyors fault, why would she be angry with him because the boat has corroded within 12 months ?

1) A steel boat can get MIC (Microbial corrosion) and can go from 'brand new' to a leaking, sunken wreck within 12 months.

2) If kept in a marina and not used, the escaping electrical worms from other boats can eat into a boat within 12 months.

A member of this forum had his boat go from 6mm to under 1mm in a year.

Yes Surveyors can miss a lot of things but blaming them for corrosion 12 months after a survey is just ludicrous.