Lister sr3 dipstick level marks

Fat Eris

Featured Posts

Top one = Don't fill up beyond this point.

Middle one = You're entering the Twilight Zone.

Bottom one = How many more warnings do you need?

Below Bottom one = Check the orange pressure warning bulb it's probably blown.  Alternatively you're colour blind.

Normally a Lister dipstick would only have two marks, maximum and minimum.  To me the very top mark on yours looks as if its home made. Another problem is that Lister used various dipsticks on the same model of engine, dependant on where they were located on the engine. They were normally identified by a number stamped on the brass top but that doesn't help unless you know what should be fitted. If itvwere me I would recommend you drain the engine down and then fill with the recommended amount of oil and see where it comes on your dipstick.

• Greenie 1

I'd make sure the amount of oil is correct when on that top mark. you don't want to over fill it. Drain off the old oil and refill with the correct amount 12 to 13 pints of oil, no more. Try the dipstick and if nec make your own new full mark with couple of strokes of a junior hacksaw. Your dipstick looks like it might snap off at that full mark, sawn too deeply.

My SR2 only had two marks  which look like the bottom ones. When it did the usual trick of putting diesel into the oil, I added a third mark about an inch up and when the oil reached that level I changed it. I wonder if someone has done the same with the one shown.