Photos of your boat.

DHutch

Featured Posts

Yes all well and good but your wash will still damage the bank. Just because an action is not banned by law it doesn't mean you have to do it, it is usually best in most circumstances to leave most things to the individuals skill and judgement (not in your case obviously) Great boat though.

One of the reasons speed limits vary on rivers is because the action of the current on the bank far outweighs the effect a boat has on it.

The boat, if going upstream, may well be moving at a speed well within what you may feel is reasonable, in relation to the bank. But creating a wash because of the speed relative to the current .

If going downstream, in a strong current, then there may be practically no wash, but the boat must move far in excess of what you deem to be acceptable, in order to be able to steer.

Edited by carlt

Yes all well and good but your wash will still damage the bank. Just because an action is not banned by law it doesn't mean you have to do it, it is usually best in most circumstances to leave most things to the individuals skill and judgement (not in your case obviously) Great boat though.

I am not a water flow expert but looking at the photo (of Alnwick) looks to me that she is going upstream into quite a head wind and I cannot see a breaking wave.

Hi - yes, been living aboard since June. And loving it!

Just slowly doing it up (funds permitting) so it's basically one job per month gets done. Last month it was the engine inspection/service, this month it'll be getting someone to adjust the alternator spacing to stop the fan belts touching. :cheers:

It's starting to look nice inside too - still plenty of cosmetic work to be done, but we're getting there. It feels very warm and homely so we're very happy.

(Incidentally, the reason the masking tape is there is because we were sealing the leaking windows a few months ago but had to keep pausing between rainy spells. We paused for so long that now the tape won't come off without leaving kacky bits everywhere. :lol: It'll take a long soaking and a lot of patience to persuade it off the window now!)

I've found meths removes making tape remains quite effectively without damaging even fresh paint.

Worth a try...........

regds A

Thanks Tim. :D

Derek has been giving me a helping hand getting the pair cleaned up again this winter so they should be better next year.

:D

Maybe I should get him up here to help me clean the dredger up :D

Should I get my wife to liven it up with some roses & castles, do you think :cheers::lol: ?

Tim

I am not a water flow expert but looking at the photo (of Alnwick) looks to me that she is going upstream into quite a head wind and I cannot see a breaking wave.

Obviously more of an expert than you care to admit! Those were exactly the circumstances and we reckon the depth of water was at least 6 feet - it seems to us that the breaking wave effect is entirely to do with depth of water - on the Oxford Canal we cannot exceed 3 mph without causing a wash that would damage the banks yet on deeper water we seem to be able to go at more than twice this speed.

• 4 weeks later...
This time I did get a picture, so now I have to find a way of getting it from camera to my new computer.

So can anyone help with photos I could use, or can you point me in the direction of such material. IDavid.

PS Maybe you would like to email me direct instead of posting contributions on the Forum the choice is yours.

Do you not have a USB port on the camera, if not does it have a readable card memory.

It seems to us that the breaking wave effect is entirely to do with depth of water - on the Oxford Canal we cannot exceed 3 mph without causing a wash that would damage the banks yet on deeper water we seem to be able to go at more than twice this speed.
Deffonatly. And equally it affects you actaull speed as well, especially the deeper draughted the boat.

- Emilyanne is the same, open water or a deep section of water she will do 5-6mph and basicaly without and wash or splash.

- Put her on a streach of narrow ditch and at 2mph you can have waves wash and white water all over the place if so inclined!

Daniel

Morgenster (or one of her sister boats) circa 1920 when she was called Koophandel IV...

morgensterkoophandelyk2.jpg

And in May this year arriving in the UK...

morgenstertruckgt4.jpg

Hi Tomska, this is quite a special barge, there are not many of these left over. It looks as if everything of the hull (below the gunnels) is new, has she been entirely replated ? what are her dimensions ? and what sort of engine has she got ?

They used to have old single cilinder Kromhout glowbulbs, but I don't expect that yours still has one of these. She's looking good.

Hi Tomska, this is quite a special barge, there are not many of these left over. It looks as if everything of the hull (below the gunnels) is new, has she been entirely replated ? what are her dimensions ? and what sort of engine has she got ?

They used to have old single cilinder Kromhout glowbulbs, but I don't expect that yours still has one of these. She's looking good.

Hi BM,

Yes, she was completely overplated in about 2000 with 4mm. She has a 6 cylinder DAF 575 truck engine now, so really has much more oomph than she needs, especially as she no longer carries cargo. Needless to say, she sits a bit higher in the water these days than on the old photo.

edited to add dimensions - she's 16 metres x 3.

She was sold as a "Langedijker", but as far as I know, that's quite a broad term for small, flat-bottomed boats used to move mostly cabbages along small canals from Northern Holland to the cities. Any more light you can shed would be appreciated (you seem to know your Dutch barges).

Cheers.

Edited by Tomska

Hi BM,

Yes, she was completely overplated in about 2000 with 4mm. She has a 6 cylinder DAF 575 truck engine now, so really has much more oomph than she needs, especially as she no longer carries cargo. Needless to say, she sits a bit higher in the water these days than on the old photo.

edited to add dimensions - she's 16 metres x 3.

She was sold as a "Langedijker", but as far as I know, that's quite a broad term for small, flat-bottomed boats used to move mostly cabbages along small canals from Northern Holland to the cities. Any more light you can shed would be appreciated (you seem to know your Dutch barges).

Cheers.

Hi again Tomska, sadly enough I can't tell you much more about the "Langedijker" barges, all I can say is that they didn't make many like yours. The Daf 575 that you've got in her now, is one of the most commenly used in the Dutch barges.

I've had several in previous barges, and have 2 of them in my 49' Trawler Yacht, and one 575 Turbo, in a former Dutch fuel tankerbarge, that I'm in the process of preparing for conversion as my future barge to live on, and travel with.

I know a few things about the Dutch barges, as I'm Dutch myself, and I've spend almost 40 years living with/on them.

Cheers.

...in a former Dutch fuel tankerbarge, that I'm in the process of preparing for conversion as my future barge to live on, and travel with.

Sounds like a big job - if you feel like posting any photos on this forum, I'll be very interested to see them. I've just about finished ripping the insides of mine out prior to completely refitting.

I know a few things about the Dutch barges, as I'm Dutch myself, and I've spend almost 40 years living with/on them.

Lucky man. I have a bit of a love affair with Holland and her boats. Looking forward to taking Morgenster back there one day and exploring the Netherlands by water.

Mods - feel free to delete my posts in a bit to stop the photo thread clogging up. Thanks.

No idea if it works, but I'll give it a try.

This is the Dutch tanker barge, moored in the North of France, that I'm preparing to convert as my future liveabord barge.

She was built in 1953 and messures 21m50 X 4m06,

pontdeloup055gn1.jpg

By bargemast at 2008-01-10

Here is a photo of the boat I'm living on when I'm not working on "Brave", she's moored in Burgundy, about 300km away, from the North of France.

She was built in Holland in 1994, and is a 14m75AC Broesderkotter, they are very good sea boats CE class B, I bought her in Berlin in 2004, and will sell her as soon as "Brave" is ready to live on.

joyauponton001cb4.jpg

By bargemast at 2008-01-10

You lucky lucky thing
I will only be a lucky, lucky thing if I manage to realise this project.For the time being, I often look in the mirror, thinking:"Who the heck is this fool watching me ?"
good luck :rolleyes: it looks good.
Thanks a lot, I like the looks as well, that's why I bought her, that's was the easy part, converting her will be a different story.