Photos of your boat.

DHutch

Featured Posts

Shopping trollies dear boy? NOT on the Shannon!

I must say that when we first had her, some 20 years ago, I was sceptical of the outside cooling, but in all that time it's never given a moments problem, and the old Volvo (fitted in 1963) has always run at 80C.

Jan de Brug.

Just cleaned my glasses and discovered a bit (very) late that your wrote next to your first photo " Our old girl in Ireland "

I must admit that I looked more at the nice photo than at the text next to it.

I've never been to Ireland and don't know what the Shannon is like apart from photos on an Irish barge site.

Glad to learn that there aren't any shopping trollies there, which makes mooring up a bit less of a hazard.

I've had several barges with pipes like yours and never had a problem with any of them either, but I know of quite a few that managed to destroy them on underwater objects, not only shopping trollies, a bit more like the etc. objects.

I hope your cooling pipes and the Volvo will last many more years.

Cheers,

Peter.

that picture of the luxemotor makes me wonder if locks that are out-of-use in the winter because of stoppages could be used as dry docks (well, the boat would be in the dry).

all it needs is a suitable trestle under the fore part of the boat and the stern up on the cill.

PS - lovely stern shape on that boat, like a traditional steam tug.

Edited by Murflynn

that picture of the luxemotor makes me wonder if locks that are out-of-use in the winter because of stoppages could be used as dry docks (well, the boat would be in the dry).

all it needs is a suitable trestle under the fore part of the boat and the stern up on the cill.

PS - lovely stern shape on that boat, like a traditional steam tug.

Thank you. The photo was actually taken in the open dry dock at Shannon Harbour, rather than a lock.

yeah, I realised that but locks could perhaps also perform that function, especially in a 'locked-in' section of canal out of season.

That's actually not a bad idea for broad locks (you might have some trouble getting around a boat in a narrow lock!). Trouble is, the bostocks required to sit the boat on might present difficulties, not to mention the Elf 'n' Safety mob.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been reading the forum for a while and just picked up my first boat today. Thought I better sign up and share some pictures of our first time out and the boat in general. boat.gif

Had a little scrape against the wall at Beeston lock whilst turning around but otherwise seem to be getting the hang of it.

Tidy looking boat, welcome to the forum proper.....

Nice looking boat,enjoy !Reckon you'll have loads of fun on her.

Trina

Thanks, First steps with boating but I'm liking it already. Just got to introduce the Dog and Cats for extra fun.

We saw you a couple of times, you were behind us heading to Beeston at one point and we saw you again near Castle lock on Sunday. Looked like you were enjoying yourself

Saturday was my first time out just after the boat handover so I went down to Beeston and back as a first run. On Sunday I took my Dad out and went the other way down to Meadow Lane and back to get some lock practice at Castle Lock.

Having lots of fun so far, just need more practice.

• 3 months later...

What a lovely well looked after engine it looks immaculate but can i just say the jubilee clip to the far right is not quite level with the one next to it unsure.png but seriously that is a work of art and a credit to you wub.png