Glamorganshire Canal Cardiff

Ogwr

Featured Posts

Thank you for that - I lived in Cardiff for 22 years and spent a lot of time looking for what was left of the Glamorgan Canal, it was a pleasure that I sometimes used this subway as a subway, just to get from A to B. In fact, that's how I found it - went for an interview at the Uni when I was 17, and afterwards decided that I'd cross the road to see the Castle, then realised I was walking through a canal bridge

Being an ex-Cardiffian we often used that underpass, especially when there used to be lots of bus stops along Nortn Rd, on the castle side of the road there.
The car park from there north alongside North Rd is on the route of the canal, and various bits can still be traced if you look carefully all the way up the Melin Griffith Tin Plate Works site, where the water wheel that lifted water from the Taff into the canal was restored some years ago,
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Melingriffith+Water+Pump/@51.509748,-3.238563,15.75z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x486e1c9f2b033d4f:0x57962107d819d13c!2sNorth+Rd,+Cardiff!3b1!8m2!3d51.4944847!4d-3.1906609!3m4!1s0x486e1b0785655c47:0xc8568e9c9e9f3ab!8m2!3d51.5130223!4d-3.2363517?hl=en
The next section, through the Forest Farm Nature Reserve is still in water.
There have been some excellent old photos of the canal in the Facebook Group, Cardiff: Now & Then.

Fascinating stuff from Ogwr. I spent my Uni days in the late 70's in Cardiff and used to use this underpass regularly. I don't recall whether the paddle gear was a bolt-on or a genuine relic of a former lock there. The North Road car park Graham refers to was the car park for our Uni buildings and I also used to mooch around and see what bits of the old Glamorganshire Canal I could find. I never got as far as Melingriffith though.

As you do, I clicked on some of Bob's Rail Relics other videos and found some more fascinating stuff. I used to commute regularly between Barry and Rhymney or Merthyr by rail and would wonder at the bits of long-lost railway architecture I'd go past. I found the clips of the Walnut Tree and Llanbradach viaducts very interesting.

Thanks for the post Ogwr.

2 hours ago, JCO said:

Fascinating stuff from Ogwr. I spent my Uni days in the late 70's in Cardiff and used to use this underpass regularly. I don't recall whether the paddle gear was a bolt-on or a genuine relic of a former lock there. <snip>

There wasn't a lock there. The nearest locks were North Road Lock, which was a short distance to the north, at the end of the castle wall and Crockherbtown Lock which was to the south, just before the canal reached Queen Street.

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

The paddle is a plant, but I don't know where from. I wasn't quite so observant when I lived there - I'll have to go back and grab a photo for the paddle gear thread... 

I suspect the rope-worn iron is a plant too, since it is too for from the corner to function effectively, and the corner itself looks suspiciously like thin pieces of stone cladding of a wall of brick or concrete, cut to a mitre on the actual corner.

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I suspect the rope-worn iron is a plant too, since it is too for from the corner to function effectively, and the corner itself looks suspiciously like thin pieces of stone cladding of a wall of brick or concrete, cut to a mitre on the actual corner.

The underpass was lengthened when Kingsway was widened. The post is attached to the extension at the castle end so probably is a plant. The original arch of the canal bridge is just visible in the photo.

At one time there were glass-fronted cases in the underpass, with displays inside them about the canal.

gc27.jpg

Edited by Dorlan