Royal visit

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

25th May 2021

His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales, Patron of Canal & River Trust, visits the Coventry Canal

Waterways and wellbeing charity, Canal & River Trust, is today (Tuesday 25 May) delighted to have welcomed its patron, His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales, to the Coventry Canal as part of a visit showcasing how Coventry is coming together for the UK City of Culture celebrations.

Hosted by Allan Leighton, chair of Canal & River Trust, His Royal Highness visited the canal-side former Daimler factory and now home to the arts, before boarding the working heritage boat Scorpio for a short ten-minute boat ride to Coventry Canal Basin. Onboard were representatives from the local community and volunteer groups who, over the last 18 months, have worked alongside the Canal & River Trust to transform the canal into a community space where local people can spend time being next to water and close to nature.

Once in Coventry Basin His Royal Highness was also able to watch a special preview performance by Highly Sprung, a physical theatre company, and Random String, an art collaborative who are working on a project with Canal & River Trust to combine art and technology to deepen our engagement with the natural world.

Allan Leighton said: “We are delighted to host His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales, for his first visit to the Coventry Canal.

“Thanks to the hard work of the Canal & River Trust and support from local people and businesses, the Coventry Canal has seen a massive transformation. We’ve been working closely with the Coventry team to play our part in the celebrations and activities for the UK City of Culture 2021.  It’s wonderful we’ve had the opportunity to show our patron the positive transformational impact canals can make, and specifically their role in the cultural heritage of our great cities.

“Coventry has an exciting year ahead and I can’t wait for the cultural activities to get started on the canal, to give local people the opportunity to visit and enjoy their 200-year old local canal both over the next year and longer-term as we further strengthen our connection with the community.”

For more information on the Canal & River Trust including how you can volunteer or donate money to support our work visit www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

ENDS

For further information contact Sarah Rudy, comms & campaigns manager on 07788 691 219 or email sarah.rudy@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Cherish! Likely to be the only piccy you see of Alan Leighton in a narrow boat for a while. Lipreading the conversation he was having with HRH I think he was saying " Look at these lovely cycle paths which I'm in charge of. Sorry about the wet bit"

Edited by JamesWoolcock
Typo
  • Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Cherish! Likely to be the only piccy you see of Alan Leighton in a narrow boat for a while. Lipreading the conversation he was having with HRH I think he was saying " Look at these lovely cycle paths which I'm in charge of. Sorry about the wet bit"

Well said!  My offer to take up some issues with him has come to nothing….apparently he’s far too busy to talk to his customers. 

11 hours ago, frangar said:

Well said!  My offer to take up some issues with him has come to nothing….apparently he’s far too busy to talk to his customers. 

Which issues, Harry and Meghan or that dratted Mamma who wont step down and give him a chance? 

12 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Seems that covid masks are now completely abandoned!

I don't think there's ever been any edict that they be worn outdoors, though I have seen some prudent people doing so.

I assume that after whatever date in June it is that we're supposed to return to normal, they will no longer be required. Even so, I think I'll still feel inclined to wear one indoors if there are lots of people about.