Transfer of Ownership narrowboat

Jasmin Patel

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nothing, except if it is Part 1 registered (so a mortgage can be taken out and registered) you can access the information and see that there is a mortgage on the boat.

But getting Part 1 is not simple :

Before you start

You’ll need:

• the dimensions of your boat

• the previous registration details of the boat (if it’s been registered before)
  • the bill of sale

• the radio signal detail - including your UK radio call sign, Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number and International Maritime Organization (IMO) number
  • the builders certificate

• a certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement

• an international tonnage certificate (ITC69)

• safety certificates

How many NB owners will have the original builders certificate, an official MCA Tonnage  / dimensions certificate, an international tonnage certificate, let alone an IMO registration number.

Providing the details you have on the boat are the same as the registration so that you can check if its even registered let alone a mortgage on it.

. Do you have to supply the C&RT number when you register.

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Providing the details you have on the boat are the same as the registration so that you can check if its even registered let alone a mortgage on it.

. Do you have to supply the C&RT number when you register.

No, I listed the requirement earlier.

The Part 1 registration is 'carved into' the boat, and must be a permanent marking witnessed and signed off by a surveyor.

The requirements (were, when I looked into it) :

9.     Carving and Marking Note – Where in respect of a ship an official number has been allotted and the name approved by the Director General and the certificate of survey granted by the surveyor, the registrar shall issue to the owners a Carving  and Marking Note which shall be returned to the registrar after the carving and marking have been duly carried out and certified by a surveyor. 

10.Marking of ships – Every ship shall , before registry, be marked permanently and conspicuously to the satisfaction of the registrar as follows – 

(a)   her name shall be marked on each of her bows, and her name and the  name of her intended port of registry shall be marked on her stern , on a  dark background in white or yellow letters or on a light background in black letter which shall be not less than one decimeter or four inches in height and 1.3 centimeters or half an inch in breadth. 

(b)  her official number and the number denoting her registered tonnage shall be cut in on her main beam. 

(c)   Her scale of draught marks shall be cut or welded in feet and inches and in metres and decimeters in two columns side by side both forward and aft on the port and star board side respectively.  The relative position of the two rows of markings should be separated by a reasonable distance in order to avoid errors in reading them. 

In the case of modern type of ships having a raked soft stem and cruiser stern, the marks shall be cut in or welded as close and aft of the stem as possible following the contour of the stem.  The marks aft or at the stern shall be cut a few feet forward of the after perpendicular in two columns parallel to each other.   

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

This was with Roy Scot Larch. The boats name and CRT index number were on the documentation.

A loan with the infamous Roy Scot organisations would not necessarily complied with regulations or good practice. They were not particularly ethical in their rapacious attitude to loans, rentals or hire purchase. They financed a rental agreement my father took out for a TV and Video that was illegal as it was actually hire purchase. He was a pensioner without any income apart from the pension and benefits and older than should have been applicable to such a loan. When he died 1 year into a 7 year agreement the whole debt became due. Effectively he paid 7 times what the products cost. Subsequently the whole Bank of Scotland was exposed for their shoddy practices. The solicitor who handled probate said there was nothing I could do to negate this deal except bear it in mind whenever they were involved with any potential future deals. To this day I've resisted any involvement with them or their re-incarnations.

Rant over. 

• Horror 1

15 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

A loan with the infamous Roy Scot organisations would not necessarily complied with regulations or good practice. They were not particularly ethical in their rapacious attitude to loans, rentals or hire purchase. They financed a rental agreement my father took out for a TV and Video that was illegal as it was actually hire purchase. He was a pensioner without any income apart from the pension and benefits and older than should have been applicable to such a loan. When he died 1 year into a 7 year agreement the whole debt became due. Effectively he paid 7 times what the products cost. Subsequently the whole Bank of Scotland was exposed for their shoddy practices. The solicitor who handled probate said there was nothing I could do to negate this deal except bear it in mind whenever they were involved with any potential future deals. To this day I've resisted any involvement with them or their re-incarnations.

Rant over. 

Possibly explains why they are no longer offering new loans, for anything it seems not just boats.

I do remember the early settlement fee was quite large, certainly a higher proportion of the loan when compared to the mortgage we settled on the house at the same time.