Old Sterling Inverter charger power saving function problem

Featured Posts

Hi all, I have the pictured Sterling inverter charger, probably about 15 years old as I think it was fitted to the boat from new. It has a power saving function which keeps the inverter in a standby mode until a demand is detected. The problem is it now seems to be having a problem detecting when there is demand, particularly from small draw devices. I believe that it is possible to deselect the power saving function? Just wondering if anyone has or has had this type and knows how to do it. I am currently working around the problem by switching on a 230v lamp which brings the inverter out of standby mode so that I can then use the device I actually want. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Inverter.jpg

The power saving function works quite well, but as you have observed, it does need a reasonable current draw (around 1+? amps) to trigger. Unfortunately there is no way to adjust this threshold.

BTW, I do hope the box has some good ventilation as it does need ventilation to disipate the heat when working hard.

Invertek DAI-3000C-12xx.pdf

Edited by Pennine

4 hours ago, MichaelG said:

Hi all, I have the pictured Sterling inverter charger, probably about 15 years old as I think it was fitted to the boat from new. It has a power saving function which keeps the inverter in a standby mode until a demand is detected. The problem is it now seems to be having a problem detecting when there is demand, particularly from small draw devices. I believe that it is possible to deselect the power saving function? Just wondering if anyone has or has had this type and knows how to do it. I am currently working around the problem by switching on a 230v lamp which brings the inverter out of standby mode so that I can then use the device I actually want. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Inverter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just in case anyone else has this problem with this Sterling inverter charger and finds this post on a search, I now have the pictured instruction sheet which shows how to program the settings including switching off the power save function. 

IMG_0479.jpg

• Greenie 3

• 2 years later...

Hi Michael,

I know this post is a couple of years old... but your prediction was right.

I was looking for information on this inverter and there you are!

Thank you very much for posting this, it is invaluable.

Do you know the model number or any other identifiers for this unit. I purchased mine from sterling power in 2009 and believe it or not I've only just got it out of the box to install it in a completely different project than initially intended.

I'm sure I originally had an more comprehensive instruction manual than the crib sheet above so I was hoping to find out more.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andrew