Removing the windows and replacing with wood

Featured Posts

Hi all

I'm trying to find a tutorial or some info on how to remove the 2 windows on the front of the boat (near the door) and replace with wood. So boarding the windows that are currently there to give me more shelf space etc.

The Windows in question are the two front windows next to the door. I have a basic idea, but just wanted to check it was right. 

Cut wood to the shape, and get some kind of thin'ish strips, like beading, to secure it to. On the outside that's a bit easier as I can just board straight over the top.

Is that about right? Any tips?

Thanks

I think replacing the windows (and I assume the frames too) with wood is asking for leaks.

Why not leave the windows in place and simply fit shelves on uprights.You can still clean the inside of the windows by shifting some stuff,and if you don't want people noseying at the shelf contents,draw the curtain.

Part of the reason is to get rid of the curtains as well. And it opens that space right up, I've seen it done on a couple of boats. I might look to boarding over the window? Both sides. But also don't want it to look like it's boarded.

26 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

What is the material surrounding the windows, ie what they fit into ?

That might have a bearing on how to fix your broads.

I prefer to "fix" my "broads" horizontally!??

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I prefer to "fix" my "broads" horizontally!??

I think Jake-crew was asking how the  window is fitted into the aperture. Is it a conventional ally frame screwed or riveted into the bulkhead or a rubber glazing profile. There is also a question of how flush the inner frame of the window is (if it is framed) relative to the panelling.

If its rubber glazing profiles then they tend to leak at the best of times so taking the glass out and replacing it with plywood would probably be no more likely to leak than the glass. If its framed then as long as its not leaking now then plywood on the inside would be simplest but it may need packing out to clear the frame.

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Is this a steel shell? If so the best way would be to remove the window frame completely and have a sheet of steel welded into the opening. Then fit insulation and the inside lining.   

Oh dear I hope not. Somebody please tell me it's a wooden boat..!

8 hours ago, ANarrowEscape said:

Part of the reason is to get rid of the curtains as well. And it opens that space right up, I've seen it done on a couple of boats. I might look to boarding over the window? Both sides. But also don't want it to look like it's boarded.

Unless you have a wooden top it will look boarded. Cover the glass with mirror film so no one can see in and then just do what you like on the inside

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Unless you have a wooden top it will look boarded. Cover the glass with mirror film so no one can see in and then just do what you like on the inside

Great idea, just so long as you realise that mirror film doesn't work when there is a light inside.... in case your bedroom is at the front! 

18 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Great idea, just so long as you realise that mirror film doesn't work when there is a light inside.... in case your bedroom is at the front! 

I thought he was boarding it over and putting shelves up

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Is this a steel shell? If so the best way would be to remove the window frame completely and have a sheet of steel welded into the opening. Then fit insulation and the inside lining.   

I think insulation is key even without the steel. If you just board over the window condensation is going to continue forming on the glass and frame.

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

I think insulation is key even without the steel. If you just board over the window condensation is going to continue forming on the glass and frame.

If he is boarding in he can put insulation in there

Hi sorry for not replying, my notifications had turned off for some reason.

So, to answer a few points:

Yes the boat is metal, but the doors and the frames at the front are wood, so I would need them replacing in wood. 

Yes, I know it will make it a bit darker, but only a little as it has windows either side, and the door itself has thin windows - as you can see on the photo, the curtain covers half the glass anyway. 

It also has a cover, so it doesn't get wet as such, but I'm hoping that it won't leak.

I had some advice from a carpenter who said: just take the glass out and cut the shape of the wood from that, then fit and fix the piece and re-bead it. Easy said than done for me, but that sounds logical.

Screenshot_20210526-174450.png

Fill the aperture with celotex and board over on the inside, and put fake shutters on the outside?

Should look all right both inside and out (ok, shutters on a narrow boat might be a bit odd, but I see them going past with fake wheelbarrows and gaily-painted watering cans...), would remain weatherproof, and would be reversible if you (or a future owner) change your mind.