Survey or not?

Featured Posts

Boat coming up to 30 this year and I also have to bring her out to paint soon.  I don't need a survey for my peace of mind as I know the boat quite well, but I'm guessing insurance may ask or In case I want to sell the boat, the buyer will want one. 

My only question here is, If I do decide to get survey, is that enough for a buyer or will they want their own, in which case I may be better to wait?

many thanks     

31 minutes ago, Polishicebreaker said:

Boat coming up to 30 this year and I also have to bring her out to paint soon.  I don't need a survey for my peace of mind as I know the boat quite well, but I'm guessing insurance may ask or In case I want to sell the boat, the buyer will want one. 

My only question here is, If I do decide to get survey, is that enough for a buyer or will they want their own, in which case I may be better to wait?

many thanks     

Suggest you read your insurance documents to find out what the company will require.

Re a buyer wanting a survey, your survey will be worthless to any buyer (the survey will state that it is only for your use) and although it could be used as a guide to a potential buyer, the survey is only valid for the 'second' the surveyor signs it. After he has walked away he has no control over what is done to the boat - you could rip out the fuel lines, the gas pipes, drill holes in the bottom of the boat but your survey would still show' "great buy, superb condition".

It would only be an experienced boater who would buy without a survey in their own name.

Your buyer will almost certainly want their own survey, so it is up to you if your £1000 (lift out, survey, lift in) is considered to be a waste of money or not.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

My boat had an older survey, which was interesting to read, but I bought the boat, after a fresh survey was carried out. Recently had another, after 18 years of ownership; this was requested by the insurance company. It was carried out by an approved surveyor, and was under £500 with the cost of dry-docking an extra charge. The survey was carried out in order to maintain comprehensive cover. This latest survey also included a valuation, also at the request of the insurance company. 

17 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Buyer will always want their own. No-one will trust a seller's survey, though it may be a useful selling point..

Not entirely true a misguided few will rely on a sellers survey for a purchase but this is a rather stupid thing to do whether you are an experienced boater or a novice.

As for your insurance OP, not all insurance companies require a survey for a 30 year old boat but most do and I wouldn't mind betting that yours does. You may know your boat well but unless you are a skuba diver who can see through the crap that is in the canal waters you have no idea what the outside hull is like under the water unless you have had the boat out of the water recently.

My boat came out for blacking 4 years ago, and for my own interest I had a hull survey carried out, cost £400. It was interesting, the boat was built in 1998 and I bought it in 2005 without a survey. I am with Saga insurance, but they are ceasing boat insurance and I will be 'punting round' in November looking for another insurer - not sure if the survey will be too old, will have to see. But if you can combine a survey and blacking it helps.

Just now, Polishicebreaker said:

Are there companies that don’t require survey? 
If so, I’d be interested to know who? 

many thanks 

The difference will be in whether you require comprehensive or third party cover. 

34 minutes ago, Polishicebreaker said:

Fully comp

You will more than likely have to meet more rigorous standards of boat specification. The insurance company will ask the relevant questions, and a survey will be an authoritative guide for them, if it is done by an acceptably qualified surveyor. For your 30 year old boat, it is well overdue for a survey. 

Edited by Higgs

Another question that relates to the original. 

If the insurer requests a survey, do they then have a set criteria regarding plate thickness etc. 

For example, a well maintained springer, say that has been built with 4mm steel and is now no less than 3.8 mm in places after 30 years? 

Would a company require the boat be plated to thicker than 4mm or does the company just go off the opinion of the surveyor? 

and so we are not just speculating..... I'll ask the question- Does anyone have fully comp insurance on a boat that's older than 30? 

thanks 

Edited by Polishicebreaker

15 minutes ago, Polishicebreaker said:

Another question that relates to the original. 

If the insurer requests a survey, do they then have a set criteria regarding plate thickness etc. 

For example, a well maintained springer, say that has been built with 4mm steel and is now no less than 3.8 mm in places after 30 years? 

Would a company require the boat be plated to thicker than 4mm or does the company just go off the opinion of the surveyor? 

So we are not just speculating..... I'll ask the question

Does anyone have fully comp insurance on a boat that's older than 30? 

thanks 

I'm not entirely sure of the borderline thickness of steel; 3mm or 4mm? I have fully comp. The boat is 1983 build. To my knowledge, it's had three surveys. The first insurer I approached, all those years ago, wouldn't insure fully comp, because I hadn't got a baffle plate at the weed hatch bottom. I chose another insurer. 

Edited by Higgs

58 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I'm not entirely sure of the borderline thickness of steel; 3mm or 4mm? I have fully comp. The boat is 1983 build. To my knowledge, it's had three surveys. The first insurer I approached, all those years ago, wouldn't insure fully comp, because I hadn't got a baffle plate at the weed hatch bottom. I chose another insurer. 

ah so it's up to the insurer 

8 minutes ago, Polishicebreaker said:

ah so it's up to the insurer 

It seems that most (all ?) insurers have jumped on the 'minimum 4mm' bandwagon.

Example: An 8mm base plate with 4.1mm of pitting is a fail until you can get a the pits filled, or, overplated.

Regrading age, some insurers require a valuation and surveyors report at aged 20, others at age 25 and some at aged 30, and will require another survey every 3-5 years (depending on the company)

have you ecver examined your policy 'small print' it probably says what the want.

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Suggest you read your insurance documents to find out what the company will require.

This point is important, one or two people have had surveys done for the insurance company and it has not included what they want. If the boat is out of the water it may help to sell itif a prospective buy then thinks the boat is good and so worth the money and time having their own survey.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This point is important, one or two people have had surveys done for the insurance company and it has not included what they want. If the boat is out of the water it may help to sell itif a prospective buy then thinks the boat is good and so worth the money and time having their own survey.

My CraftInsure (small print) requires a Survey at 20+ years ;

You have agreed:

• Sea Wolf is constructed of fibreglass, aluminium or steel and does not exceed 50ft (15.25m) in length.

• The permanent home mooring of “Sea Wolf” is in the United Kingdom.

• “Sea Wolf” will be maintained in a proper state of repair and seaworthiness, and in the case of trailers, roadworthiness, and will exercise due care and diligence in safeguarding your boat and property.

• If “Sea Wolf” is over 20 years old and over 23ft in length, you have in your possession a survey report not more than five years old from a qualified surveyor, with all recommendations complied with.

• If “Sea Wolf” is in Scotland or Ireland, or is less than 21ft (6.5m) in length, during the period 15th October to 31st March she will be ashore or in a marina when not navigating

Edited by Alan de Enfield

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It's longer than 20 years for a narrowboat with Craftinsure. Yours is seagoing, is it not? Salt water is more corrosive than fresh!

Correct : I was simply pointing out that 'in the small print' it will show you the requirements.

How many read their Insurance certificate to check it is correct but never read the the policy documents and the details.