Mushroom vent splashback

Porcupine

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

I have tried to screw down my mushroom vents as far as they will go.  But water still seem to be getting inside the vents and then leaking down the side of the ceiling.  I have tied a hey plastic bag around the vents and that seems to work. If you can think of any better solutions, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks, Matt 

It's more likely that the seal on the flange has given up.

The proper way to sort it is to remove it,clean it up and re seal with mastic or mastic tape.A blob of mastic on the screw heads is a good idea too.

If the inside of the screws is too awkward to reach,a reasonable fix is to clean around the flange and squeeze a bead of Stixall or Acriflex around the flange joint.

Not silicone,it won't last very long.

Edited by Mad Harold
  • Greenie 1

Are you sure they are leaking from outside. You can get moisture from the air inside of the boat condensing in the mushroom and dripping back in. One cure for this is to spray a thin coat of foam inside the top of the mushroom.

If it really is splashback from the roof into the vents and then down into the boat it would only happen in a very heavy downpour and you wouldn't get much water coming in. 

But you could try taking off the dome, cutting a hole in one of those 4mm thick spongy square kitchen cloths and putting it over the base of the vent flat on the roof and then putting the dome back on.

Even in a downpour the rain shouldn't bounce up off the sponge cloth into the vent. It's worth a try just to see if that's what happening. If it's still coming in you've got a leak.

Most likely what you have is a leak under the base of the vent, which needs to be fixed. I have seen extremely heavy rain, or hail stones bounce off the roof far enough to hit the underside of the mushroom, then down in to the boat, but it is very rare and these sorts of conditions only last for a few minutes.

Jen

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, manxmike said:

You could always hang a plastic container under the mushroom inside the boat, that way it catches the water drips but doesn't stop the air flow.

Yes,simple and practical,but rather "Heath Robinson"

5 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:
3 hours ago, manxmike said:

You could always hang a plastic container under the mushroom inside the boat, that way it catches the water drips but doesn't stop the air flow.

Yes,simple and practical,but rather "Heath Robinson"

You do get to watch tall people accidentally knock the container and get the contents down the back of their neck! ?

On 25/05/2021 at 12:54, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Most likely what you have is a leak under the base of the vent, which needs to be fixed. I have seen extremely heavy rain, or hail stones bounce off the roof far enough to hit the underside of the mushroom, then down in to the boat, but it is very rare and these sorts of conditions only last for a few minutes.

Jen

yep had this occur this week... :(

12 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

These sort of conditions. (Cooper's Bridge, Calder and Hebble in 2017. Fortunately the boat was moored up!)

Pictures never seem to show how bad it was - its very difficult to show the intensity of rain.

This was a 'Biblical storm' the rain was so heavy it totally flattened the waves that were caused by the 60mph wind. The boat was thrashing about in the gusts and you couldn't hear anything over the battering of the haily / rain

It looks 'nothing'

20200723-113033.jpg

On 25/05/2021 at 13:19, manxmike said:

I did that.

Mine was just 'water bounce'

Hung polystyrene cups under the vents.

Worked great.

On 23/05/2021 at 21:25, Mad Harold said:

It's more likely that the seal on the flange has given up.

The proper way to sort it is to remove it,clean it up and re seal with mastic or mastic tape.A blob of mastic on the screw heads is a good idea too.

If the inside of the screws is too awkward to reach,a reasonable fix is to clean around the flange and squeeze a bead of Stixall or Acriflex around the flange joint.

Not silicone,it won't last very long.

I don't think the OP has described exactly what is happening and when (strength of wind and severity of rain) in this or the original post.. Until we know that it's all just guessing.