Help required: Can someone tell me where I can order a like for like replacement for this?

Alexa62

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I’m a technical noob, but I know how to operate a crimping tool. Which is what I think I’ll be needing to do... Trouble is, I don’t know what switch to buy and try out my crimping skills on.A7257574-DABD-4CB8-93E4-F798D65A6FB6.jpeg.f7ba46837447c6829f7b96c08a842aec.jpeg

I recently discovered the source of my electrical problems with the 12v lights in the kitchen area of my boat, which had been intermittent, and then failed utterly. It was this:

The area around the mid hatch was leaking in heavy rain, and running down inside the boxed in wooden conduit beneath the hatch, where it pooled around the switch, rotting the wood there and eventually corroding the terminals on the switch until one basically just corroded right through. As you can see from the photo, the legend on the switch reads ‘<on 10A 250V >on’. The switch appears to originally have had just the three terminals on the back, the two that are still attached, and the one that corroded through.

Can anyone tell me what such a switch is likely to be described as on websites, (I get confused by all the ‘DPST’ ‘SPDT’ stuff) or, better still, provide a link to a like-for-like replacement? It’ll need to be UK based and hopefully able to deliver in the next couple of days.

Thanks!

DA6482FF-A7AE-40ED-A1DB-C533803BA358.jpeg

It looks like a switch with an LED on the top, which won't work on 12v.

The three wires will be pos,neg and earth.

Any car switch that fits the available space will do the job.

Have a look in a car parts shop.

It looks like a centre off switch 

Does it switch different lights depending on position? If it does then you need

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-or-Double-Pole-Toggle-Flick-Switch-15A-250VAC-SPST-SPDT-DPST-DPDT-/253064123963?

You need to select on-off-on SPDT 

If there is no centre off then select 

on-on SPDT

Edited by Loddon

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

It looks like a switch with an LED on the top, which won't work on 12v.

The three wires will be pos,neg and earth.

Any car switch that fits the available space will do the job.

Have a look in a car parts shop.

I don't think so Harold.

That switch is a single pole 2 way switch with may be center off.

23 minutes ago, Rivelin said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toggle-Flick-Switch-Momentary-Metal-On-Off-On-Spring-Waterproof-Cover-car-dash-/130873081407

I used one of these - it returns to centre (off) on it's own.

The waterproof rubber cover slips off if you don't need it.

But what if she wants the light to stay on without holding the switch on for ever?

Edited by Tracy D'arth
Sex mistake, story of my life.

Hi Harold, thanks for getting back to me. It doesn’t have an LED, and has worked fine as a 12v switch for several years before the corrosion did for it. And if I knew what to buy in a car store, I’d buy it. As I said - what I need is someone to *show* me an exact, like for like replacement that I can buy, online, as I am sheltering. So...?

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

It looks like a centre off switch 

Does it switch different lights depending on position? If it does then you need

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-or-Double-Pole-Toggle-Flick-Switch-15A-250VAC-SPST-SPDT-DPST-DPDT-/253064123963?

You need to select on-off-on SPDT 

If there is no centre off then select 

on-on SPDT

Yes! Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. I’ve ordered one of each, hopefully one of them will do the job. :)

Beware buying electrical items from Ebay.  I have found it might be labelled as rated at 10amps or whatever, but expires after a short period of use, even when used at well under the claimed rating, whether or not it appears to Chinese.

Older UK made stuff is better, military spec is best.,

13 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Beware buying electrical items from Ebay.  I have found it might be labelled as rated at 10amps or whatever, but expires after a short period of use, even when used at well under the claimed rating, whether or not it appears to Chinese.

Older UK made stuff is better, military spec is best.,

And, don't buy like-for-like with what you already had.

The existing switch is 240v, switching for 12v has different requiements for the contacts.